Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
14. It's 1985. You are in Geneva and are planning to depart to Albuquerque. ... Your journey will involve two air carriers with the first airline operating two nonstop flights and the second airline operating a direct one stop flight. Different aircraft types will be operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier operating the first two flights as well as the first connection airport along with the second connection airport and the second airline with your answer including the stop made by this flight. And, of course, name all three aircraft types. The first two flights were operated by KLM Royal Dutch. The DC-9-30, the A310 or any aircraft type manufactured by Boeing was not operated on the first flight.The first connection was made at AMS and the second flight was operated with a 747-200. The second connection was not made at BOS, IAD, JFK, LAX, ORD or IAH. The third flight was not operated by American, Continental, TWA, United, Western or Southwest and this flight did not stop at DEN, DFW, ORD, SLC, STL or DAL. The third flight was operated with a 727-200.
14- I think Iíve exhausted the KLM gateway airports with the exception of Atlanta/ATL; while I could be wrong, I donít recall Delta with anything but nonstop service into ABQ, so that would seem to point to Eastern as the airline of record

I *do* recall EA going from ATL to Tucson/TUS, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the 72S flight in question was a circle trip that went ATL-TUS-ABQ and then continued nonstop back to ATL

as for the first segment, I think between my guesses and the constraints weíve almost exhausted the KL fleet Ö gotta go big here, because I have to believe the market was too big for an F.28, and offer the DC-10 for GVA-AMS
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

12. According to the OAG, in late 1978 this small, obscure airline was operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Key West (EYW) with three different equipment types including the Douglas DC-3, the Convair 440 and the Boeing 737. And none of these flights were indicated in the OAG as code sharing services. They were all operated by the same specific air carrier on an independent basis. Name this airline.

14. It's 1985 and you are in Geneva planning to depart to Albuquerque. Uh oh.....the Swissair 747-300 nonstop from GVA to JFK is completely sold out! And you've also discovered there is no nonstop service offered from any New York City area airport to ABQ. So you are going to have to be creative with your itinerary. Ah, here's a solution! You will have to make two connections. Your journey will involve two air carriers with the first airline operating two nonstop flights and the second airline operating a direct one stop flight. Different aircraft types will be operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier operating the first two flights as well as the first connection airport along with the second connection airport and the second airline with your answer including the stop made by this flight. And, of course, name all three aircraft types.
Time to close out these two....

12. The OAG identifies this air carrier as Key West-based Air Sunshine using the two letter "AG" code. And it appears Air Sunshine was in transition at this time as the company had been recently purchased by Air Florida which reportedly then transferred the Convair 440 and Douglas DC-3 prop equipment to its Air Florida commuter operation. But what about the jet equipment which the OAG identifies as the 737-100? Well, information is scarce concerning the Air Sunshine jet service....but Seat 2A and yours truly think this may have actually been an Air Florida 737 being operated as an Air Sunshine flight via the "AG" code. By the fall of 1979, a later edition of the OAG lists five roundtrip flights a day between Miami and Key West operated with Air Florida "737" equipment. Air Florida indeed operated the 737-100 including this aircraft which was acquired from Singapore Airlines and was still wearing the Singapore livery with Air Florida titles...

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/547566/N46AF

BTW, it appears the airplane in the photo was initially delivered new to Malaysia-Singapore Airlines (MSA) and then subsequently operated by Singapore following the breakup of MSA into two separate air carriers.

14. Here are the KLM Royal Dutch and Eastern scheds...

KL 320: Geneva (GVA) 11:10a - 12:35p Amsterdam (AMS)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: C/Y
Meal service: None listed
Equip: DC-9-15

Connecting to....

KL 621: Amsterdam (AMS) 1:45p - 5:15p Atlanta (ATL)
Freq: Daily except Tuesdays and Thursdays
Service classes: F/C/Y
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: 747-200
Note: KL 621 operated as KL 665 on Mondays only

Connecting to....

EA 691: Atlanta (ATL) 7:26p - 8:35p El Paso (ELP) 9:05p - 10:03p Albuquerque (ABQ)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner ATL-ELP
Equip: 727-200

BTW, KLM Royal Dutch reportedly operated its DC-9-15 aircraft until 1989. Here's one in Geneva....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM-...9-15/1177552/L

I'll now withdraw the other unanswered quiz questions from my first set for possible resubmission in the future.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 23, 2024 at 3:58 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I will be heading overseas in about four weeks, but that should be enough time to resubmit a couple of unanswered, abandoned or incomplete questions from my last batch, plus a couple of hitherto unsubmitted general knowledge type queries. As always, please be respectful of your fellow participants and limit your responses to two per day.

1. What was the first ever Boeing jet to appear on the Canadian registry?
A N S W E R E D

2. When did.Southwest Airlines operate its first scheduled transcontinental flight? What was the route and aircraft type?

3. Without looking it up online, please match the launch operator with the following variants of the MD-80
MD81
MD82
MD83
MD87
MD88
Please see post #29035

4. (1992) Being stationed in the Seychelles Islands over the past two years has been a dream come true, but as the saying goes, all good things must eventually come to an end. That said, if you must leave the Seychelles, there are worse places to be reassigned than to the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. On the other hand, getting there could be a real nightmare. You are delighted then to discover that on one day a week, doing so is quite easy and convenient, involving just two flights – the first a nonstop to the connection point followed by a one stop direct flight to Honolulu. Two different aircraft types will be involved and thankfully, seats are available in the forward cabins of both aircraft – though in different classes. Please identify the airlines, the routing, the aircraft types and the classes of travel associated with each airline.

5. This U.S. airline, which currently serves 45 destinations from coast to coast with a fleet that includes two different twin jets, is headquartered in Utah. Which airline is this?
A N S W E R E D

6. What was the first airline to operate an ETOPS certified 737-200? What route did it fly?

7. (1992) Oh yeah! You are SO looking forward to leaving the cold and snow of Calgary behind and exchanging it for a week of sunshine and luaus at your brother’s place in Honolulu. You’ll depart Calgary in the morning on the first of three nonstop flights for your trip to the islands. Two connections and three airlines will be involved, with each airline operating a different type of aircraft. Each of the aircraft has a different engine configuration. Please identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types.

9. Everybody knows that a BOAC Comet made the 1st commercial transatlantic jet flight from London to New York in 1958. Besides New York’s Idylwild/John F. Kennedy International airport, name six other U.S. airports that saw scheduled service with the Comet

10.Which airline named its first 747 after the first man on the moon?11. What was the first airline to use regional jets in North America?

12. In terms of land area, this airport is the largest in North America, and the second largest in the world. Which airport is this?

13. Can you list – in order – the first five airlines to receive Boeing’s 747?

14. The 737-MAX9 was in the news in January after the blowout of an unused emergency exit - known as a door plug, aboard an Alaska Airlines jet. This door is designed for use with high density configurations, such as you'd see with Indonesia's Lion Air MAX9s. Alaska does not operate its MAX9s in a high density configuration, but if and when it eventually sells its MAX9s, should the next operator desire a high density seating configuration, the door is already there and ready to be "unplugged".

Back in the 1970s, one US airline operated some of its 727-200s in a high density configuration seating 189 passengers.
These 727s could be identified by an extra exit between the forward passenger door and the overwing exits to meet FAA requirements. Which US airline was this?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 24, 2024 at 3:35 pm
Old Feb 22, 2024, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Do I need to answer the whole question or just part because I know one part of #3?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. This U.S. airline, which currently serves 45 destinations from coast to coast with a fleet that includes two different twin jets, is headquartered in Utah. Which airline is this?
This one is (a) Breeze. They're headquartered in a suburb of Salt Lake City and fly E-190s and A220s.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
Do I need to answer the whole question or just part because I know one part of #3?
We like complete answers here at the OTAQ&D, wrp. Answer the one you think you know, and then make your best guess at the rest. All of 'em. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and hit on a few... For what it's worth, three of the airlines were from the U.S., while the other two were from Europe.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88
This one is (a) Breeze. They're headquartered in a suburb of Salt Lake City and fly E-190s and A220s.
You Da Man, '88! You Da Man! Correct! and no further explanations needed.

And now it's back to watching train videos and swillin' Makers Mark while eatin' crackers and cold chickin! Hoo-eee! It don't git much better'n that - especially at 300am

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 23, 2024 at 5:07 am
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. Without looking it up online, please match the launch operator with the following variants of the MD-80
MD81
MD82
MD83
MD87
MD88
MD81 - Swissair
MD82 - American
MD83 - TWA
MD87 - Iberia
MD88 - This one I know, Delta
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

1. I'll guess the 727-100 operated by Wardair.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MD81 - Swissair Correct! Swissair put the MD-81 into service on October 10, 1980, with a flight from Zurich to London Heathrow
MD82 - American
MD83 - TWA
MD87 - Iberia
MD88 - This one I know, Delta Correct! Delta's MD88 entered service in April 1995 between Dallas and Reno

AA, TW and IB are all incorrect. However, you are correct that the MD87 was launched by a European airline. Of the two US airlines, one is still going strong while the other disappeared in a merger. Good luck! You can polish these off!
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll guess the 727-100 operated by Wardair.

And you would be correct! Here's an interesting little blog about Wardair from the Yesterday's Airlines site:

https://www.yesterdaysairlines.com/a...g-the-standard
jlemon likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More late night whiskey drinking, and no additional responses, so I'll go away for awhile. Prolly jus as welllllllllllll
Old Feb 24, 2024, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MD81 - Swissair
MD82 - American Alaska
MD83 - TWA PSA
MD87 - Iberia Alitalia
MD88 - Delta
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MD81 - Swissair
MD82 - American Alaska
MD83 - TWA PSA
MD87 - Iberia Alitalia
MD88 - Delta

Alaska is one of the involved airlines, but it didn't launch the -82. That launch went to an airline that also flew the -10, -30 and -50 in addition to the -80.
PSA is not involved. Alitalia did not fly the -87. The airline we're looking for comes from a country with just two colors on its flag...
Old Feb 24, 2024, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

]3. Without looking it up online, please match the launch operator with the following variants of the MD-80
MD81 - Swissair
MD82 - American Alaska Republic
MD83 - TWA PSA Alaska
MD87 - Iberia Alitalia Austrian
MD88 - Delta

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.