Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
​​​​​​​
8- San Diego/SAN for the WA 720B's stop between LAX and SLC42- not sure what wasn't clear; I didn't say anything about changing the equipment or airlines, viz., "A319s, Air Canada to Chicago/ORD Denver/DEN followed by United," so yes that's my guess

in point of fact, I actually expected my "perhaps?" in the other guess to generate this pushback
8. Incorrect

42. Incorrect
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
8- Great Falls/GTF between SLC and YYC

42- gotta be United for YVR-DEN, I'll say a 737-300

Continental had de-hubbed DEN several years earlier, and Western Pacific was no longer extant; longshot throw-it-at-the-wall candidate for DEN-MKE might be Vanguard

I'll focus some brain cells on one or two of the others later, but will honor the "two-questions-per-day" rule and defer formal guesses until tomorrow
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

8. It's early 1979. You are on your way from Los Angeles to Winnipeg. Two airlines are involved with your journey with each operating different equipment built by the same manufacturer. Your first flight will make two stops en route from LAX to your connection airport and your second flight will make one stop en route to YWG. Identify both air carriers, the two stops made by the first flight, the connection airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different aircraft types.
8. Here are the Western and Transair scheds...

WA 22: Los Angeles (LAX) 7:00a - 9:35a Salt Lake City (SLC) 10:15a - 11:25a Great Falls (GTF) 12:05p - 12:53p Calgary (YYC)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Breakfast LAX-SLC
Equip: 720B

Connecting to...

TZ 604: Calgary (YYC) 2:00p - 4:05p Regina (YQR) 4:25p - 5:20p Winnipeg (YWG)
Service class: Y
Meal service: Dinner YQR-YWG
Equip: 737-200
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

42- gotta be United for YVR-DEN, I'll say a 737-300

Continental had de-hubbed DEN several years earlier, and Western Pacific was no longer extant; longshot throw-it-at-the-wall candidate for DEN-MKE might be Vanguard
42. Incorrect
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Last call for the above! And I shall provide the complete answers tomorrow....
Just a suggestion: Why not save them for one of those occasional down periods between question sets?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
15. What airline was operating Pan Am Express service on a code sharing basis on behalf of Pan Am with Convair 580 turboprop equipment in the U.S. at this time? It wasn't Air New England, Empire or Pacific Express. Hints: the air carrier in question was quite a bit larger than AirNew England. The connection airport for this Pan Am Express Convair 580 service was not located on the east coast but elsewhere in the U.S.

So I've been thinking on this one, and if it wasn't anywhere along the east coast, then given the timeline and the fact that the carrier was :"quite a bit larger than Air NE", only one Convair 580 comes to mind..,. Republic. This is a shot in the dark for me, because I have no recollection of RC ever being affiliated with PA, but what the heck - let's give it a go. Detroit was a longtime Pan Am destination, and a hub for RC, so if they connected out of anywhere, that'd be a likely choice. Indeed, my only flight aboard an L-1011-500 came via Pan Am in 1984 between JFK and DTW

1. It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Houston. However, you do not have flowers in your hair and you are not heading to San Francisco. Instead, you will be departing to Chicago from Hobby Airport and have found an interesting milk run flight which operates daily and makes four intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops in the order in which they will be made, the aircraft type and the specific airport you will arrive into in Chicago. It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. Routing was HOU - MSY - MOB - BHM - ___ - ORD.The flightin question did not stop in BNA, SDF or CVG. So all we need here is the fourth stop.

Most of the heavy lifting has been done on this one. I tend to stay away from these multi-stop itinerary questions, but since so many stops have been identified and this question is stilllllllll out there, let's give it a go. Geographically, cities like MEM and STL come to mind, but into O'Hare these were Delta cities. Same goes for IND, which was AA and TW. EA would probably come in from somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee. I had to look at my road atlas for this one, and one glaring possibility shows up... Lexington

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 14, 2024 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Just a suggestion: Why not save them for one of those occasional down periods between question sets?
Now there's an idea! And here's another possible plan...

Since I've already indicated that I stand ready to provide the answers for # 33 and # 42, I'll go ahead and do so tomorrow afternoon should they remain elusively in play.

However, # 3, # 4, # 5, #11, # 16, # 19 and # 21 have yet to receive any responses whatsoever. So if that remains the case by this weekend, I shall then remove and then possibly resubmit them in the future in the event of a down period.

BTW, we have some travel coming up in the very near future during which time I'll not be able to respond to guesses; thus, my decision to start the process in order to have these remaining questions closed out or withdrawn.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15. What airline was operating Pan Am Express service on a code sharing basis on behalf of Pan Am with Convair 580 turboprop equipment in the U.S. at this time? It wasn't Air New England, Empire or Pacific Express. Hints: the air carrier in question was quite a bit larger than AirNew England. The connection airport for this Pan Am Express Convair 580 service was not located on the east coast but elsewhere in the U.S.

So I've been thinking on this one, and if it wasn't anywhere along the east coast, then given the timeline and the fact that the carrier was :"quite a bit larger than Air NE", only one Convair 580 comes to mind..,. Republic. This is a shot in the dark for me, because I have no recollection of RC ever being affiliated with PA, but what the heck - let's give it a go. Detroit was a longtime Pan Am destination, and a hub for RC, so if they connected out of anywhere, that'd be a likely choice. Indeed, my only flight aboard an L-1011-500 came via Pan Am in 1984 between JFK and DTW

1. It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Houston. However, you do not have flowers in your hair and you are not heading to San Francisco. Instead, you will be departing to Chicago from Hobby Airport and have found an interesting milk run flight which operates daily and makes four intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops in the order in which they will be made, the aircraft type and the specific airport you will arrive into in Chicago. It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. Routing was HOU - MSY - MOB - BHM - ___ - ORD.The flightin question did not stop in BNA, SDF or CVG. So all we need here is the fourth stop.

Most of the heavy lifting has been done on this one. I tend to stay away from these multi-stop itinerary questions, but since so many stops have been identified and this question is stilllllllll out there, let's give it a go. Geographically, cities like MEM and STL come to mind, but into O'Hare these were Delta cities. Same goes for IND, which was AA and TW. EA would probably come in from somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee. I had to look at my road atlas for this one, and one glaring possibility shows up... Lexington
1. That's a great guess! However, it wasn't Lexington. And while we're at it, we can also remove Memphis, St. Louis, and Indianapolis from consideration as well.

Please guess again, sir!

15. Correct! And very well done! Republic was operating Convair 580 service into Detroit as Pan Am Express nonstop from Akron/Canton, Appleton, Erie and South Bend. Plus Republic was also operating Pan Am Express service with DC-9-10, DC-9-30, MD-80 and 727-200 equipment into Detroit from a number of other RC cities at this time. In addition, Republic was flying Pan Am Express service with DC-9-30 and 727-200 aircraft nonstop between New York Kennedy and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

BTW, there were two other air carriers operating Pan Am Express service with jet equipment in the fall of 1985: Air Atlanta with the 727-100 and Empire with the F.28.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I remember a lot of televised Gemini launches when I was in elementary school, so I should imagine Huntsville might have generated a decent amount of business back then. Let's go with Huntsville...

16. A very good friend has invited you up for a visit up to the wilds of Alaska. Your current location is London. But no, you're not in London, England. You are actually in London, Ontario. You need to travel from Canada to Alaska on a Monday and the closest airport to your friend's cabin is located in Fairbanks. And you've found a great routing from YXU to FAI involving two airlines each operating a different aircraft type. Your first flight will be nonstop and your second flight will make two stops en route. Identify both air carriers, the connection airport, the two stops made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each service.

Well, the second flight into Fairbanks making two stops takes Alaska Airlines or any west coast connection point out of the picture. I had my free pass on United at that time, and I remember flying ORD-ANC-FAI aboard United's DC-8-71. Perhaps that flight originated somewhere east of Chicago. Thinking also about the fact that this trip started out of YXU, and that no Canadian airlines served Fairbanks, I have to think the first flight was fairly regional in nature. I don't know about London, but I know Nordair had 737 flights from Toronto to Pittsburgh. Air Canada also used to fly DC-9-30s from YYZ into Cleveland.

Let's take a shot in the dark here and say Nordair flew a 737 from London into Pittsburgh, after which our intrepid traveler would connect to a United DC-8-71 direct to Fairbanks via ORD and ANC.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 15, 2024 at 11:15 pm
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)

14. (1985). … Geneva … to Albuquerque. ... Your journey will involve two air carriers with the first airline operating two nonstop flights and the second airline operating a direct one stop flight. Different aircraft types will be operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier operating the first two flights as well as the first connection airport along with the second connection airport and the second airline with your answer including the stop made by this flight. And, of course, name all three aircraft types. The first two flights were operated by KLM Royal Dutch. The DC-9-30 or any aircraft manufactured by Boeing was not operated on the first flight.The first connection was made at AMS and the second flight was operated with a 747-200. The second connection was not made at BOS, IAD, JFK, LAX or ORD. The third flight was not operated by American, Continental, TWA, United or Western and this flight did not stop at DEN, DFW, ORD, SLC or STL.
14- my latest thought is that 72S was a rare Southwest flight, which points to either San Francisco/SFO or Houston/IAH as the second connection point

I believe 1985 was too early for WN to have linked SFO to either Las Vegas/ LAS or Phoenix/ PHX en route to ABQ, but I also believe they had started flying between IAH and Dallas Love Field/DAL

so I’ll offer that the first KLM flight was on an A310, so the entire trip was:
  • GVA-AMS KL 310
  • AMS-IAH KL 747
  • IAH-DAL-ABQ WN 72S
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Houston. However, you do not have flowers in your hair and you are not heading to San Francisco. Instead, you will be departing to Chicago from Hobby Airport and have found an interesting milk run flight which operates daily and makes four intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops in the order in which they will be made, the aircraft type and the specific airport you will arrive into in Chicago. It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. Routing was HOU - MSY - MOB - BHM - ___ - ORD. The flight in question did not stop in BNA, SDF or CVG. So all we need here is the fourth stop.

I remember a lot of televised Gemini launches when I was in elementary school, so I should imagine Huntsville might have generated a decent amount of business back then. Let's go with Huntsville...

16. A very good friend has invited you up for a visit up to the wilds of Alaska. Your current location is London. But no, you're not in London, England. You are actually in London, Ontario. You need to travel from Canada to Alaska on a Monday and the closest airport to your friend's cabin is located in Fairbanks. And you've found a great routing from YXU to FAI involving two airlines each operating a different aircraft type. Your first flight will be nonstop and your second flight will make two stops en route. Identify both air carriers, the connection airport, the two stops made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each service.

Well, the second flight into Fairbanks making two stops takes Alaska Airlines or any west coast connection point out of the picture. I had my free pass on United at that time, and I remember flying ORD-ANC-FAI aboard United's DC-8-71. Perhaps that flight originated somewhere east of Chicago. Thinking also about the fact that this trip started out of YXU, and that no Canadian airlines served Fairbanks, I have to think the first flight was fairly regional in nature. I don't know about London, but I know Nordair had 737 flights from Toronto to Pittsburgh. Air Canada also used to fly DC-9-30s from YYZ into Cleveland.

Let's take a shot in the dark here and say Nordair flew a 737 from London into Pittsburgh, after which our intrepid traveler would connect to a United DC-8-71 direct to Fairbanks via ORD and ANC.
I remember watching live TV coverage of Gemini missions as well when our family was living in Huntsville as my Dad was an aerospace engineer involved with the space program at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. And we would soon move to the Houston area with the advent of the Apollo lunar missions. Meanwhile....

1. Correct! Here's the Eastern sched....

EA 124: Houston Hobby (HOU) 10:30a - 11:35a New Orleans (MSY) 12:00n - 12:36p Mobile (MOB) 1:00p - 1:53p Birmingham (BHM) 2:15p - 2:47p Huntsville (HSV) 3:10p - 5:55p Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Freq: Daily except Sat.
Service class: F (EA was operating all first class service with the Electra at this time)
Meal service: Lunch MOB-BHM
Equip: L-188 Electra

Here's a photo of an Eastern "Super Electra" in the livery the airline was using during the early 1960's (with a couple of Eastern DC-8 aircraft in the background)....

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/110902/N5509

16. You are off to an excellent start here, sir, as the second flight was indeed operated by United with a Super DC-8-71 with intermediate stops at Chicago O'Hare and Anchorage!

However, the first flight from London, Ontario was not operated by Nordair nor was the equipment flown on this service a 737-200.

And the connection was not made in Pittsburgh.

So we are looking for another short haul destination out of YXU. And the aircraft type operated on this flight was a turboprop.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 16, 2024 at 10:13 am Reason: added photo link
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

14- my latest thought is that 72S was a rare Southwest flight, which points to either San Francisco/SFO or Houston/IAH as the second connection point

I believe 1985 was too early for WN to have linked SFO to either Las Vegas/ LAS or Phoenix/ PHX en route to ABQ, but I also believe they had started flying between IAH and Dallas Love Field/DAL

so I’ll offer that the first KLM flight was on an A310, so the entire trip was:
  • GVA-AMS KL 310
  • AMS-IAH KL 747
  • IAH-DAL-ABQ WN 72S
14. Well, the equipment operated on the third flight was indeed a 727-200.

However, the remainder of your guess is incorrect.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't know if it flew the route, but let's go with Air Ontario operating a Convair 580 into Cleveland, then the UA D8S CLE-ORD-ANC-FAI
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

33. It's 1991 and you're in the Bahamas about to depart to Detroit from Nassau. Two airlines will be involved concerning your pair of nonstop flights with these services being operated with different equipment types built by different manufacturers. And one of these flights will be on board a wide body aircraft. You will have almost four hours to make your connection; however, this will enable you to have a late lunch with an old friend who works at the airport in question. Identify both air carriers, the connection airport and the different aircraft types.

42. Now it's 2001 and you are on your way from Vancouver, BC to Milwaukee. You'll be flying with two different airlines with both flights being nonstop services operated with the same equipment type. Identify both air carriers, the connecting airport and the aircraft type.
Time to close out these two...

33. Here are the Carnival and Pan Am scheds...

KW 450: Nassau (NAS) 11:00a - 1:45p Cleveland Hopkins (CLE)
Freq: Thursdays and Sundays only
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: 727-200
Note: Complete routing for KW 450 was NAS-CLE-PIT

Connecting to....

PA 54: Cleveland Hopkins (CLE) 5:35p - 6:20p Detroit Metro (DTW)
Freq: Daily except Mondays and Tuesdays
Service classes: F/C/Y
Meal service: None
Equip: A310
Note: Complete routing for PA 54 was CLE-DTW-LGW

42. Here are the Air BC and Air Wisconsin scheds...

AC* 1821: Vancouver (YVR) 12:15p - 4:10p Denver (DEN)
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: BAe 146-200
Note: AC* 1821 operated by Air BC (ZX)

Connecting to....

UA* 5584: Denver (DEN) 7:15p - 10:35p Milwaukee (MKE)
Equip: BAe 146-200
Note: UA* 5584 operated by Air Wisconsin (ZW)

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 16, 2024 at 12:37 pm Reason: service classes correction for PA 54
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if it flew the route, but let's go with Air Ontario operating a Convair 580 into Cleveland, then the UA D8S CLE-ORD-ANC-FAI
16. Well, sir, Air Ontario certainly did with the flight in question originating in Toronto! Thus, you are correct!

And here are the Air Ontario and United scheds...

GX 801: London (YXU) 9:10a - 9:50a Cleveland Hopkins (CLE)
Freq: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only
Equip: Convair 580
Note: Complete routing for GX 801 was YYZ-YXU-CLE

Connecting to....

UA 65: Cleveland Hopkins (CLE) 11:40a - 11:53a Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 12:45p - 4:15p Anchorage (ANC) 4:50p - 5:45p Fairbanks (FAI)
Freq: CLE-ORD Daily, ORD-FAI Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch ORD-ANC
Equip: Super DC-8-71

BTW, London-based Air Ontario was still operating independently at this time but would soon become an Air Canada Connector code sharing affiliate. GX would also replace its Convair 580 aircraft with new Dash 8 airplanes as well as with a pair of Fokker F.28 Fellowships leased from Transport Aeriens Transregional (TAT), a French air carrier. And following the crash of one of its F.28 twin jets on take off from Dryden, Ontario en route to Winnipeg, Air Ontario would then remove the remaining F.28 from its fleet and become an all Dash 8 operator with series 100 and 300 aircraft.

Here's a photo of an Air Ontario Convair 580 at Toronto...

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/505862/C-GGWJ

Note the caption accompanying this photo. Following its removal from the Air Ontario fleet, C-GGWJ went on to fly cargo for another operator which resulted in the airplane being chased and intercepted by Royal Canadian Air Force CF-18 Hornet fighter aircraft.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 16, 2024 at 11:40 am Reason: added photo link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.