Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
13. It's 1983 and you need to travel from San Antonio to Barcelona. One airline can conveniently transport you from SAT to BCN via two one stop flights with each service being operated by different aircraft types built by different manufacturers. Identify this air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the connection airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight.
13- opening the bidding with TWA ó a 72S to JFK with a stop in New Orleans/MSY, then an L-1011 with a stop in Lisbon/LIS
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here's a photo of a Braniff International 747SP-27 at LAX.....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/176319
I looked up the N-number of this aircraft. Turns out it later was reregistered as N150UA, the same 747SP I flew LAX-NAN-SYD in 1986.

Here's a picture of the upstairs lounge as Braniff operated it. By the time United was flying this bird, the lounge had been replaced by Business Class seats.

PLeblond and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Next up: US with a 733 stopping in PIT.
39. Yet another great guess! And USAir was indeed operating 737-300 service from Austin nonstop to their Pittsburgh hub at this time.

However, it wasn't US nor was the equipment a 733.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Who'd have ever thought that 18 below would feel so good! For the past couple of days, I've been housesitting (Well, dog sitting, actually) out in North Pole, Alaska. North Pole is a town east of Fairbanks. The actual north pole is about 2000 miles north and a tad east of here. Two nights ago, the mercury dropped to -61 on the thermometer at the little store out on the main road. We're talking still air temperature, not windchill. Today, we've a brief respite, with highs in the teens. By Thursday, it's back to the deep freeze.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ak/fairbanks

Additionally, I have thoroughly enjoyed the first rate Wi-Fi signal out at the house in North Pole. That was nice. Alas, I'm back to the clunky, sputtering version that serves the cabins I live in out here in East Ester. As soon as I finish up here, I'm gonna go out and switch out my propane tank, shovel the path to the dunny and empty out the slop bucket. I've got water heating on the stove and soon will enjoy a nice hot shower.

As to the questions, thanks to jlemon for a couple of timely hints. If I hadn't known it was a 747SP via LAX, I'd likely still be flailing about on the TUS-HNL question.

2. Now it's 1964 and you are on a multistop flight from Europe to an island in the Pacific Ocean. You've just departed from Saigon and your next stop will be Darwin. And following this stop on the northern coast of Australia, you will then arrive at your island destination. What air carrier are you flying with, what airport did you depart from in Europe, what type of aircraft are traveling on and what is your final destination?

I see Saigon and I think Air France, but then seeing Darwin to a Pacific Island, I'm thinking either BOAC or Qantas. Somehow, I can't see the population of Darwin in 1964 supporting a flight to Fiji, but BOAC ran all kinds of multi-stop services from Europe to multiple destinations in Australia as well as New Zealand. New Zealand makes more sense, so let's try a BOAC 707 with a total shot in the dark as to the routing. LHR-FCO (or was it ROM back then?) - BAH - BOM - SIN - SGN - DRW - AKL

40. If you wanted to fly into Lake Tahoe (TVL) in 1999 on board a McDonnell Douglas DC-9-51, what airline would you call?

The only airline I knew of to operate a DC-9-50 west of the Rockies (well, there was that NC flight from DEN to TUS back in the day) was Allegiant Air. They were also operating a -20. I remember a pretty scatter shot schedule with flights from Las Vegas to Fresno and Long Beach. I don't remember service to Lake Tahoe, but for now let's go with Allegiant.
2. An excellent guess, sir! However, it wasn't BOAC and the aircraft wasn't a 707.

But on the plus side, the flight in question did make its first stop in Rome as it headed east.....although it did not subsequently make stops in Bombay or Singapore. And it also did not terminate in Auckland. Plus, Darwin was actually just a technical stop for this service with no traffic permitted to deplane or board in DRW.

40. Correct! Here's a photo of an Allegiant Air DC-9-51 at the Lake Tahoe Airport (TVL) in 1999....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Alle...C-9-51/63370/L

Here's what Allegiant Air was doing in the summer of 1999....

https://www.departedflights.com/G4081799.html

And here are the airline's routes in the fall of 2000....

https://www.departedflights.com/G4110100.html

The Allegiant Air operation is obviously quite a bit larger these days....but they still have the propensity to jump in and out of routes and markets.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 30, 2024 at 10:21 am Reason: additional info...
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. Now it's 1964 and you are on a multistop flight from Europe to an island in the Pacific Ocean. You've just departed from Saigon and your next stop will be Darwin. And following this stop on the northern coast of Australia, you will then arrive at your island destination. What air carrier are you flying with, what airport did you depart from in Europe, what type of aircraft are traveling on and what is your final destination?

Hmm... so it's not a 707. And it's not BOAC. And it doesn't go to New Zealand, which means one of the much smaller Pacific nation islands. Geographically, the Philippines and Guam make no sense, and in 1964 I doubt there were any direct flights from Europe to Port Moresby in Papua Niugini. So that leaves places like Noumea, Fiji, et al. With BOAC out, the only other airline that flew across Europe and might have served Fiji would be Air India but 707s are out. Another is UTA and the DC-8 makes much more sense here since I can't think of any airline that flew across Europe also operating a 720 or a 990 that also served Darwin, much less continued across the Pacific. There was Garuda, I suppose, but they didn't serve Oceania.

So it's got to be a DC-8 and that means UTA. And since most all UTA Pacific flights routed through Noumea (I believe UTA even had a Caravelle based there for regional operations) I'm going to go with Noumea as the destination island since there was no mention of multiple stops made after the Darwin departure - just the nonstop out of Darwin. Now as to routing across Europe, I am totally clueless as to what cities UTA served east of Rome. I should mention that for sure this flight originated out of Paris. 1964... probably LeBourget. Anyway, on to Rome, and then... We'll go with Karachi, Delhi, Bangkok, Saigon and on to DRW and NOU.

Cross my fingers...

This brings to mind a
Bonus Question: Boeing 720s were rarely seen in the Southeast Asia / Oceania region. Lufthansa used to run one through Singapore and Bangkok all the way to Tokyo. Korean used to come down to Singapore with one and of course PIA opened its service to China (Shanghai) via Dacca, Bangladesh with a 720. Only one Pacific country based airline comes to mind that operated the Boeing 720B. Can anybody here identify it?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 30, 2024 at 5:16 pm
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

41. Also in 1999, this airline was operating the only direct, no change of plane service from Orlando to Honolulu. Two intermediate stops were made by the daily flight in question. Identify this air carrier, both stops and the equipment.

Well, I suppose there are a couple of options here. I would've started with Delta, too (Although I don't believe the 767-200 ever flew the HNL flights. In fact, has any airline ever served HNL with the 762?) so let's go with the second most obvious choice - United, operating a DC-10 MCO-ORD-LAX-HNL.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
39. Yet another great guess! And USAir was indeed operating 737-300 service from Austin nonstop to their Pittsburgh hub at this time.

However, it wasn't US nor was the equipment a 733.

Please guess again, sir!
#39: With AA/NW/US and 733/72S/146 and DFW/DTW/PIT stops already ruled out, my next guess is TW operating an MD-80 via STL.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
39- TWA, to the best of my knowledge, never flew to YYZ (or anywhere in Canada for that matter)

about all that’s left is United … perhaps a 737-200 via ORD

37- we’ve ruled out BOI, GEG, PDX, and YVR as the connection point between the still-unknown airline’s 72S and the QX F.28 … I can’t recall Horizon running the jets into SEA from anywhere else except Calgary/YYC, and I can’t come up with another U.S. destination that CP might have served from YHZ

so let’s try Ottawa/YOW, and First Air via Winnipeg/YWG to YYC

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 30, 2024 at 7:58 pm
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13. Here are the Trans World Airlines scheds...

TW 880: San Antonio (SAT) 10:00a - 11:21a New Orleans (MSY) 12:00n - 3:48p New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch MSY-JFK
Equip: 727-200

Connecting to....

TW 900: New York Kennedy (JFK) 7:15p - 6:50a+1 Lisbon (LIS) 8:05a - 10:30a Barcelona (BCN)
Freq: JFK-LIS Daily, LIS-BCN Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only
Service classes: F/C/Y
Meal service: Dinner JFK-LIS, Snack LIS-BCN
Equip: L-1011
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Hmm... so it's not a 707. And it's not BOAC. And it doesn't go to New Zealand, which means one of the much smaller Pacific nation islands. Geographically, the Philippines and Guam make no sense, and in 1964 I doubt there were any direct flights from Europe to Port Moresby in Papua Niugini. So that leaves places like Noumea, Fiji, et al. With BOAC out, the only other airline that flew across Europe and might have served Fiji would be Air India but 707s are out. Another is UTA and the DC-8 makes much more sense here since I can't think of any airline that flew across Europe also operating a 720 or a 990 that also served Darwin, much less continued across the Pacific. There was Garuda, I suppose, but they didn't serve Oceania.

So it's got to be a DC-8 and that means UTA. And since most all UTA Pacific flights routed through Noumea (I believe UTA even had a Caravelle based there for regional operations) I'm going to go with Noumea as the destination island since there was no mention of multiple stops made after the Darwin departure - just the nonstop out of Darwin. Now as to routing across Europe, I am totally clueless as to what cities UTA served east of Rome. I should mention that for sure this flight originated out of Paris. 1964... probably LeBourget. Anyway, on to Rome, and then... We'll go with Karachi, Delhi, Bangkok, Saigon and on to DRW and NOU.
2. Union de Transports Aeriens is correct! Here's the UTA sched....

UT 1562: Paris Le Bourget (LBG) 17:00 - 21:00 Athens (ATH) 21:50 - 06:05+1 Karachi (KHI) 07:30 - 14:00 Bangkok (BKK) 15:00 - 17:15 Saigon (SGN) 18:15 - 00:35+1 Darwin (DRW) 01:20 - 07;25 Noumea (NOU)
Freq: Mondays only (flight arrived in Noumea on Wednesdays)
Meal services: Lots of food with wine....
Equip: DC-8
Notes: This service operated by UTA was flown in cooperation with Air France. No local traffic BKK-SGN. DRW was a technical stop only.

And as you can see, I was mistaken with regard to Rome being the first stop although a return service operated by UTA from Noumea to Paris did stop at FCO.

Here's the 1964 UTA route map....

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttim...64/ut64-01.jpg

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 31, 2024 at 1:45 pm Reason: added UTA route map link
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

41. Seat 2A has guessed United operating a DC-10.

And he is off to a great start here as the equipment was indeed a DC-10 with the second stop being made in Los Angeles.

However, the airline in question isn't United and the first stop was not made at Chicago O'Hare.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
#39: With AA/NW/US and 733/72S/146 and DFW/DTW/PIT stops already ruled out, my next guess is TW operating an MD-80 via STL.
39. TWA is correct! And you are close enough concerning the aircraft type. Here's the sched....

TW 308: Austin (AUS) 3:10p - 5:17p St. Louis (STL) 6:40p - 9:35p Toronto (YYZ)
Freq: Daily
Meal services: Snack in F only AUS-STL, Dinner in F/Y STL-YYZ
Equip: DC-9-30
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
39- TWA, to the best of my knowledge, never flew to YYZ (or anywhere in Canada for that matter)

about all thatís left is United Ö perhaps a 737-200 via ORD

37- weíve ruled out BOI, GEG, PDX, and YVR as the connection point between the still-unknown airlineís 72S and the QX F.28 Ö I canít recall Horizon running the jets into SEA from anywhere else except Calgary/YYC, and I canít come up with another U.S. destination that CP might have served from YHZ

so letís try Ottawa/YOW, and First Air via Winnipeg/YWG to YYC
39. United is incorrect. TWA served Toronto from the mid 1990's until the airline was acquired by American.

37. The second flight was not operated by First Air. Connections were made in Ottawa and Calgary and the stop was made in Winnipeg.

And Horizon Air operated nonstop F.28 jet service to Seattle from another Canadian city as well.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

37. (1996) YHZ-YOW-YWG-YYC-SEA The first flight was operated by Canadian with an A320. The second flight was operated with a 727-200....but not by Air Canada, Northwest, American, United or First Air, The third flight was operated by Horizon Air with an F.28 on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Connections were made at YOW and YYC and the second flight stopped inYWG.
well, Iím waving the white flag on this second airline Ö I vaguely recall some earlier Quiz mention of Wardair with a 727-100, but I canít put the 72S with a Canadian carrier besides those weíve ruled out
Old Jan 31, 2024, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. Union de Transports Aeriens is correct! Here's the UTA sched....

UT 1562: Paris Le Bourget (LBG) 17:00 - 21:00 Athens (ATH) 21:50 - 06:05+1 Karachi (KHI) 07:30 - 14:00 Bangkok (BKK) 15:00 - 17:15 Saigon (SGN) 18:15 - 00:35+1 Darwin (DRW) 01:20 - 07;25 Noumea (NOU)
Freq: Mondays only (flight arrived in Noumea on Wednesdays)
Meal services: Lots of food with wine....
Equip: DC-8
Wow! I'm closer than I would have thought with my routing. I was tossing between Dubai and Karachi, but in 1964, Dubai wasn't much more than a glorified filling station for most airlines while Karachi was a bustling "metropolis" of a few million. Interesting that no local traffic was allowed BKK-SGN given the historic French presence in Vietnam. I've flown the route three times aboard an eclectic collection of airlines and aircraft (Turkish 777-300, Lufthansa A340-600 and Vietnam Airlines A321-200). I would love to have enjoyed the food and wine all the way through on that UTA flight though! I can see myself now, sat next to one of those huge DC-8 windows whilst perusing mouthwatering epicurean delights from the trolley.

In 1981, I finally did get to fly First Class on UTA via a 747-200 between Papeete and Los Angeles. After having enjoyed an absolutely superb First Class service aboard an Air New Zealand DC-10 LAX-PPT, I was so looking forward to what I expected to be a fantastic French influenced service on the northbound mid-morning departure. Alas, I was a bit disappointed. With the exception of a magnificent feathered pate de fois gras presentation from atop the trolley at lunch, everything else - from actual food to the panache with which it was served - was just... okay.

I was flying via an ID-75 and to think that I could have flown back to the States using a South Pacific Island Airways 707 routing Papeete - Pago Pago - Honolulu connecting to Braniff's big orange 747 over to Dallas...

By 1981, 707 flights were few and far between. My last 707 flight came in 1983 aboard Ecuatoriana Quito - Guayaquil - Miami

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 31, 2024 at 2:42 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.