Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
6. In 1974, this airline was operating a "midnight flyer" service from Los Angeles to Sacramento which made one stop en route. The one way fare from LAX to SMF was $17.90. Name this air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

Well, sir, it wasn't Western, the stop was not made in Oakland and the equipment wasn't a 737-200. And in fact, the aircraft we are looking for is quite a bit larger.

Hmm... flying into SMF with something quite a bit larger than a 737-200 leads me to think we might be talking about United with a DC-8-61 via SFO
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
6. Ah, it wasn't United nor was the aircraft a Super DC-8-61.

But the stop was made at SFO....and whoops! I made a mistake here in stating the equipment was a wide body aircraft as I misread the timetable for the airline in question. The flight wasn't operated with a wide body. My apologies!

So we can safely say the aircraft operated on this "Midnight Flyer" service was larger than a 737-200 and smaller than a Super DC-8.

Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 9, 2024 at 2:16 pm Reason: correction concerning equipment hint
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
6. In 1974, this airline was operating a "midnight flyer" service from Los Angeles to Sacramento which made one stop en route. The one way fare from LAX to SMF was $17.90. Name this air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

No worries, JL - you never alluded to a "wide body" aircraft. Rather, you indicated only that it was "quite a bit larger"

Speaking of widebodies, the only one I can think of that was in scheduled service to SMF would've been with Hawaiian. Don't ask me if it was an L1011, DC-10, 767-300 or A330. If I had to guess, I'm thinking 767-300. Perhaps you know...

But back to your question...

Let's go with the Poor Sailor's Airline operating a 727-200 - technically smaller than a standard eight, but actually a few inches longer in terms of overall length... And per your acknowledgement, via SFO
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

37. You are on your way on a Saturday morning in 1996 to Seattle from Halifax . You need to arrive into SEA in time for your cousin's wedding and reception in the late afternoon and have found a way to travel from Nova Scotia to Washington state via three different airlines each operating a different aircraft type with each being built by a different manufacturer. Your first flight from YHZ will be nonstop, your second flight will make one stop en route and your third flight will be nonstop. Name all three air carriers, the two connection airports, the stop made by the second flight and the three different airplanes you'll be traveling on board. The first flight was operated by Canadian with an A320 and the first connection wasmade at YOW. The second flight was operated with a 727-200 by an air carrier based in Canada....but not by Air Canada or First Air. The second flight stopped at YWG and the second connection was made at YYC. The third flight was operated by Horizon Air with an F.28 on behalf of Alaska Airlines. So all we need here is the air carrier that operated the second flight.

Now having so many clues available definitely aids in the solvability of this question, so my thanks go out to all those who provided the colorful (print) detail above. If I'm right with my answer here, I only deserve partial credit. So we know it's a 727-200... When I think YOW 727s, I think First Air or Eastern. So we know First Air's out and Eastern only flew southa da border. CP Air got rid of its -200s after a very short while (Pity - the -200 looked absolutely smashing in CP's orange, red and silver livery), so Canadian's out. This is where having a 40000 strong collection of airline postcards comes in handy. Off the top of my head, I can think of three other Canadian 727-200 operators, but only one that had a fairly broad route map across Canada. That'd be Roots Air, eh? Let's hope so...
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

No worries, JL - you never alluded to a "wide body" aircraft. Rather, you indicated only that it was "quite a bit larger"

Speaking of widebodies, the only one I can think of that was in scheduled service to SMF would've been with Hawaiian. Don't ask me if it was an L1011, DC-10, 767-300 or A330. If I had to guess, I'm thinking 767-300. Perhaps you know...

But back to your question...

Let's go with the Poor Sailor's Airline operating a 727-200 - technically smaller than a standard eight, but actually a few inches longer in terms of overall length... And per your acknowledgement, via SFO
6. Correct! I initially thought Pacific Southwest was operating their "Midnight Flyer" service with an L-1011 (a.k.a. the "Mother Grinningbird").....but these flights were instead operated with 727-200 equipment.

Here's a page from the Oct. 18, 1974 PSA timetable which mentions the service along with the scheds and the fares with this page also containing the scheds between LAX and SFO flown with L-1011 and 727-200 aircraft. The L10 and 72S are noted as "L" and "S" in this timetable...

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttim...0/ps7410-2.jpg

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 9, 2024 at 5:06 pm Reason: added link for page from PSA timetable
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

37. You are on your way on a Saturday morning in 1996 to Seattle from Halifax . You need to arrive into SEA in time for your cousin's wedding and reception in the late afternoon and have found a way to travel from Nova Scotia to Washington state via three different airlines each operating a different aircraft type with each being built by a different manufacturer. Your first flight from YHZ will be nonstop, your second flight will make one stop en route and your third flight will be nonstop. Name all three air carriers, the two connection airports, the stop made by the second flight and the three different airplanes you'll be traveling on board. The first flight was operated by Canadian with an A320 and the first connection wasmade at YOW. The second flight was operated with a 727-200 by an air carrier based in Canada....but not by Air Canada or First Air. The second flight stopped at YWG and the second connection was made at YYC. The third flight was operated by Horizon Air with an F.28 on behalf of Alaska Airlines. So all we need here is the air carrier that operated the second flight.

Now having so many clues available definitely aids in the solvability of this question, so my thanks go out to all those who provided the colorful (print) detail above. If I'm right with my answer here, I only deserve partial credit. So we know it's a 727-200... When I think YOW 727s, I think First Air or Eastern. So we know First Air's out and Eastern only flew southa da border. CP Air got rid of its -200s after a very short while (Pity - the -200 looked absolutely smashing in CP's orange, red and silver livery), so Canadian's out. This is where having a 40000 strong collection of airline postcards comes in handy. Off the top of my head, I can think of three other Canadian 727-200 operators, but only one that had a fairly broad route map across Canada. That'd be Roots Air, eh? Let's hope so...
37. Ah, it wasn't Roots Air.....and the air carrier in question was rather short lived. Plus they also operated a small hub in Winnipeg with service stretching from Ottawa in the east to Vancouver in the west plus flights into a fairly small city in British Columbia.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 9, 2024 at 5:28 pm Reason: added additional hint
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

37. Ah, it wasn't Roots Air.....and the air carrier in question was rather short lived. Plus they also operated a small hub in Winnipeg with service stretching from Ottawa in the east to Vancouver in the west plus flights into a fairly small city in British Columbia.
Okay then - let's try Greyhound!
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay then - let's try Greyhound!
37. Correct! Here are the Canadian, Greyhound Air and Horizon Air scheds...

CP 901: Halifax (YHZ) 7:15a - 7:51a Ottawa (YOW)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service classes: C/Y
Meal service: Breakfast
Equip: A320

Connecting to....

KF 125: Ottawa (YOW) 9:00a - 10:43a Winnipeg (YWG) 11:45a - 12:41p Calgary (YYC)
Freq: Saturdays & Sundays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: I don't think so...
Equip: 727-200

Connecting to....

AS* 2734: Calgary (YYC) 3:00p - 3:20p Seattle (SEA)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: F.28
Note: Operated by Horizon Air (QX)

Greyhound was and is primarily a bus operator, of course, and this was their big experiment with passenger air service in Canada.

Here's their August 1, 1996 timetable with route map....

https://www.departedflights.com/FK080196.html

Note Greyhound used the "KF" two letter airline code. This was the code for Kelowna Flightcraft which provided 727-200 aircraft and crews for the Greyhound Air passenger flights. Also note the Greyhound Air service provided connections to and from Greyhound bus service for "the 1,100 communities we serve".

And here's a photo of a Greyhound Air 727-200 at Calgary....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10252056

Note the name Greyhound Air does not appear on the airplane. It's been reported that since Kelowna Flightcraft actually held the airline license (with all flights being operated with their "KF" code), Greyhound was prohibited by the authorities in Canada from having their name on the aircraft. But, of course, the hound is on the tail.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 10, 2024 at 3:09 pm
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
22. Close....but no cigar! And the stop we are looking for is indeed located in Florida.

33. Great guess! However, it wasn't Laker.....and the air carrier in question was based in the U.S. but is no longer around.
#22) MIA as the missing stop.
#33) Kiwi International
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
#22) MIA as the missing stop.
#33) Kiwi International
22. Correct! Here are the Air California and Braniff International scheds...

OC 16: Lake Tahoe (TVL) 10:30a - 11:10a Oakland (OAK)
Service class K daily except Sat., S on Sat. only
Meal service: None
Equip: L-188 Electra
Note: Complete routing for OC 16 was TVL-OAK-SJC-TVL

Connecting to....

BN 383: Oakland (OAK) 1:55p - 4:55p Denver (DEN) 5:45p - 11:10p Miami (MIA) 11:45p - 12:10a+1 Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack OAK-DEN, Dinner DEN-MIA
Equip: DC-8

Here's a photo of an Air California Electra at Lake Tahoe...

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/49598/N123AC

And here's a photo of a Braniff DC-8-51 at Miami...

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7416182

33. Ah, it wasn't Kiwi International.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
8. (1979) You are on your way from Los Angeles to Winnipeg. Two airlines are involved with your journey with each operating different equipment built by the same manufacturer. Your first flight will make two stops en route from LAX to your connection airport and your second flight will make one stop en route to YWG. Identify both air carriers, the two stops made by the first flight, the connection airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different aircraft types. Western operated the first flight....but not with a 707-320 or 727-200. One of the stops made by the first flight was SLC....but this flight did not stop in LAS or DEN. The connection was made at YYC. The second flight was operated with a 737-200 and made at stop at YQR....but it was not operated by CP Air.
8- I can say I'm surprised that WA was still operating the Boeing 720B in 1979 ... as for the route, let's try LAX-Phoenix/PHX-SLC-YYC

the airline for YYC-YQR-YWG is still a puzzler ... Transair perhaps?
​​​​​​​
42. Now it's 2001 and you are on your way from Vancouver, BC to Milwaukee. You'll be flying with two different airlines with both flights being nonstop services operated with the same equipment type. Identify both air carriers, the connecting airport and the aircraft type. The first flightwas not operated by Northwest and the second flight was not operated by Midwest Express. The DC-9-10 was not operated on either flight and the connection was not made at MSP. Hint: the equipment was a small narrow body jet.
42- I was initially thinking A319s, Air Canada to Chicago/ORD followed by United, but the likelihood of anything other than a United Express flight on ORD-MKE has made me switch the connecting point to Denver/DEN
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
8- I can say I'm surprised that WA was still operating the Boeing 720B in 1979 ... as for the route, let's try LAX-Phoenix/PHX-SLC-YYC

42- I was initially thinking A319s, Air Canada to Chicago/ORD followed by United, but the likelihood of anything other than a United Express flight on ORD-MKE has made me switch the connecting point to Denver/DEN
8. The Western flight did not stop in Phoenix but was operated with a 720B. Transair indeed operated the second flight.

42. Not quite clear on what you're guessing here although the connection was made in Denver. AC and UA A319s?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

33. It's 1991 and you're in the Bahamas about to depart to Detroit from Nassau. Two airlines will be involved concerning your pair of nonstop flights with these services being operated with different equipment types built by different manufacturers. And one of these flights will be on board a wide body aircraft. You will have almost four hours to make your connection; however, this will enable you to have a late lunch with an old friend who works at the airport in question. Identify both air carriers, the connection airport and the different aircraft types.

42. Now it's 2001 and you are on your way from Vancouver, BC to Milwaukee. You'll be flying with two different airlines with both flights being nonstop services operated with the same equipment type. Identify both air carriers, the connecting airport and the aircraft type.
And both now ANSWERED - Please see post # 29009

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 16, 2024 at 10:42 am Reason: answer updates
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two quiz questions per day so as many folks as possible can participate. And as always, please provide complete answers to include specific aircraft types where requested.

1. It's the summer of 1963 and you are in Houston. However, you do not have flowers in your hair and you are not heading to San Francisco. Instead, you will be departing to Chicago from Hobby Airport and have found an interesting milk run flight which operates daily and makes four intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops in the order in which they will be made, the aircraft type and the specific airport you will arrive into in Chicago.
ANSWERED - Please see post # 29006

3. In 1971, two airlines were operating a joint service involving a through flight three days a week between Jamaica and Miami with one intermediate stop being made en route. And at this stop, flight crews from one of the air carriers were replaced with flight crews from the other airline with the same aircraft operating no change of plane service on the route. However, this wasn't a typical interchange service as the equipment was provided by just one of the air carriers in question 100% of the time. So with all this in mind, identify the airport this service used in Jamaica as well as both airlines, the intermediate stop where the flight crews were changed and the aircraft type. Plus, also identify which air carrier provided the equipment with your answer.

4. In 1972, this South American air carrier was serving several domestic destinations in its home country with a twin engine jet aircraft type that was specifically designed to operate into unimproved airports with unpaved gravel runways. The equipment in question was a version of an existing type with this airplane featuring components from several other existing models. Identify this aircraft type by its specific model number and also name the South American airline that operated it.

5. Now it's 1973 and you are in Kingston, Jamaica. You are on your way to Barbados on a flight which will make one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

The next three quiz questions all have a time line of 1979.....

8. You are on your way from Los Angeles to Winnipeg. Two airlines are involved with your journey with each operating different equipment built by the same manufacturer. Your first flight will make two stops en route from LAX to your connection airport and your second flight will make one stop en route to YWG. Identify both air carriers, the two stops made by the first flight, the connection airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different aircraft types.
ANSWERED - Please see post # 28998

11. From Casper, Wyoming you need to travel to Birmingham, Alabama. And you need to arrive into BHM in time to prepare for an early business dinner. You'll be traveling with two airlines with the same aircraft type being on operated on each flight. Your first flight will be nonstop and your second flight will make two stops en route. Name both air carriers, the connection airport, the two stops made by the second flight and the aircraft type.

12. According to the OAG, this small, obscure airline was operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Key West (EYW) at this time with three different equipment types including the Douglas DC-3, the Convair 440 and the Boeing 737. And none of these flights were indicated in the OAG as code sharing services. They were all operated by the same specific air carrier on an independent basis. Name this airline. It wasn't Provincetown-Boston (PBA)

The next three quiz questions all have a time line of 1985.....

14. Now you are in Geneva and are planning to depart to Albuquerque. Uh oh.....the Swissair 747-300 nonstop from GVA to JFK is completely sold out! And you've also discovered there is no nonstop service offered from any New York City area airport to ABQ. So you are going to have to be creative with your itinerary. Ah, here's a solution! You will have to make two connections. Your journey will involve two air carriers with the first airline operating two nonstop flights and the second airline operating a direct one stop flight. Different aircraft types will be operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier operating the first two flights as well as the first connection airport along with the second connection airport and the second airline with your answer including the stop made by this flight. And, of course, name all three aircraft types. The first two flights were operated by KLM Royal Dutch. The DC-9-30, the A310 or any aircraft manufactured by Boeing was not operated on the first flight. The first connection was made at AMS and the second flight was operated with a 747-200. The second connection was not made at BOS, IAD, JFK, LAX, ORD or IAH. The third flight was not operated by American, Continental, TWA, United, Western or Southwest and this flight did not stop at DEN, DFW, ORD, SLC, STL or DAL. The third flight was operated with a 727-200.

15. What airline was operating Pan Am Express service on a code sharing basis on behalf of Pan Am with Convair 580 turboprop equipment in the U.S. at this time?
ANSWERED - Please see post # 29003

16. A very good friend has invited you up for a visit up to the wilds of Alaska. Your current location is London. But no, you're not in London, England. You are actually in London, Ontario. You need to travel from Canada to Alaska on a Monday and the closest airport to your friend's cabin is located in Fairbanks. And you've found a great routing from YXU to FAI involving two airlines each operating a different aircraft type. Your first flight will be nonstop and your second flight will make two stops en route. Identify both air carriers, the connection airport, the two stops made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each service.
ANSWERED - Please see post # 29010

19. By 1986, Virgin Atlantic Airways had doubled the size of their 747 fleet. And that meant the airline was now operating two 747 aircraft instead of just one. What were the names for these airplanes given by the airline? And for extra special bonus points, identify the specific 747 model Virgin Atlantic was operating at this time.

21. It's 1988. You've successfully concluded the deal for a sailboat in Green Bay, Wisconsin and are now in the process of delivering the vessel to her new owner who is located in Duluth, Minnesota. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara and his crew are on board assisting you with the delivery. The weather has been great, sailing conditions on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron have been optimal and all is well. However, while transiting the Soo Locks on the international border waterway between Sault St. Marie, Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, you receive an urgent message requesting your presence for a crucial business meeting in Seattle as soon as possible. So how to get to SEA? Well, you know there are two commercially served airports in the area with each being located on either side of the border in this part of the world.....and you quickly ascertain that your journey will require two nonstop flights operated by different airlines with each operating a different aircraft type built by different manufacturers. Plus, depending on the day of the week, the second flight is actually operated with two different aircraft types built by the same manufacturer. So identify the specific airport you will depart from on your first flight, both air carriers, the connection airport and the different equipment types operated on each flight. And also be sure to include the two different aircraft types operated on the second flight with your answer.
Still looking for answers for the above! And I shall issue a last call for these quiz questions this Friday with answers to be provided this weekend for those still in play. Other questions that do not receive any response will then be removed this weekend and then possibly resubmitted at some point in the future.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 16, 2024 at 11:38 am Reason: answer updates
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)

8. The Western flight did not stop in Phoenix but was operated with a 720B. Transair indeed operated the second flight.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
8- San Diego/SAN for the WA 720B's stop between LAX and SLC
​​​​​​​42- I was initially thinking A319s, Air Canada to Chicago/ORD followed by United, but the likelihood of anything other than a United Express flight on ORD-MKE has made me switch the connecting point to Denver/DEN
42. Not quite clear on what you're guessing here although the connection was made in Denver. AC and UA A319s?
42- not sure what wasn't clear; I didn't say anything about changing the equipment or airlines, viz., "A319s, Air Canada to Chicago/ORD Denver/DEN followed by United," so yes that's my guess

in point of fact, I actually expected my "perhaps?" in the other guess to generate this pushback

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.