FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:40 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
7. These days only Jet Blue serves Worcester, MA with jets. Back in late 1988 there were four airlines doing so. Identify those four airlines and – if you feel up to it – the jets they operated into ORH

I used to fly in/out of ORH often back then. My travels were always on US or CO. CO flew ORH-EWR; I think it was originally it was with 737s, but then they outsourced to Bar Harbor with ATR42s & Saab 340s. I'm not sure if the switch was before or after the date you cite. But, I flew aboard plenty of all three, time and time again.

CO's cousin, EA, owned by common parent Texas Air, offered ORH-LGA service under the name "Eastern Express" which was operated by Bar Harbor Airlines, which Texas Air owned 50%, using Beach 1900s. It may have also carried a second code-share, sporting CO flight numbers too.

US flew ORH-PIT with DC-9s and perhaps the occasional BAC111. I flew this route a few times.

PI, which US hadn't yet purchased, flew ORH-BWI; I'd guess they used some of the Fokker 28s they got when they acquired Empire.

NW flew ORH-DTW; probably with DC-9s.
Here's the line-up, based upon schedules published in my 1988 pocket OAG:

Northwest: DTW with DC9
Piedmont: BWI with 73S and F28
United Express: IAD with 146 (Operated by Presidential Airways)
US Air: PIT with D9S

I remember CO operating 737-500s into ORH but per the schedule I have, they only operate five ATRs out of Newark.