Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
9. Your visit to Chicago-land has gone well and now it's time to head down to Orlando. So how about a good old fashioned milk run?! Ah, here's a flight which fits the bill and makes five stops en route. Name the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft. It wasn't Southern, the flight did not depart from MDW and MEM wasn't the first stop. First class was available on this flight and one of the stops only had mainline jet service for a relatively short period of time.
9- let's try Delta, with a DC-9-30 stopping at the following five cities:
  1. Indianapolis (IND)
  2. Paducah (PAH) (this fits the "relatively short period of mainline jet service" criterion for DL, although I believe OZ was there for rather longer)
  3. Memphis(MEM)
  4. Birmingham (BHM)
  5. Atlanta (ATL)

Originally Posted by jlemon
10. Now you are in Kansas City. You once again need to attend a dinner meeting in Boston and have found a flight with an excellent schedule which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment. Delta flying MCI - ATL - PHL - BOS. Still looking for the equipment which wasn't a B727-100, B727-200, B737-200 or DC-9-30.
10- Delta still had the Convair 880 in their fleet in 1973 (I flew BOS-BAL in Mar of that year on the first one -- N8801E)

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 8, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
We've ruled out the 727-100/200 and the 737 (which DL did not fly in 1973, anyway).

I'm pretty sure DL's DC-9-10s were gone by 1973, so that leaves a DC-8-50 as my next guess.
10. Yep, that's correct concerning DL and the B737-200 (and I did think about this).....but since a UA 73S had been guessed earlier, I left it in anyway.

And as for the DC-8.....nope! Which means......
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
9- let's try Delta, with a DC-9-30 stopping at the following five cities:
  1. Indianapolis (IND)
  2. Paducah (PAH) (this fits the "relatively short period of mainline jet service" criterion for DL, although I believe OZ was there for rather longer)
  3. Memphis(MEM)
  4. Birmingham (BHM)
  5. Atlanta (ATL)

10- Delta still had the Convair 880 in their fleet in 1973 (I flew BOS-BAL in Mar of that year on the first one -- N8801E)
9. Delta operating a DC-9-30 is correct! However, the only stop you've correctly is identified is Atlanta.....and ATL wasn't the last stop.

10. Yep! Here's the sched....

DL 918: Kansas City (MCI) 11:55a - 2:27p Atlanta (ATL) 3:04p - 4:40p Philadelphia (PHL) 5:10p - 6:08p Boston (BOS)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Lunch MCI-ATL, Snack ATL-PHL, Snack in F only PHL-BOS
Equip: Convair 880
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:25 pm

While we're working on jlemon's excellent questions, I'd like to post a question of my own.

As mentioned up thread, last week I received a Sep 1, 1972 OAG that I bought on Ebay. I briefly looked at the Los Angeles flight listings, and found a surprise that is a natural quiz question:

This OAG shows only one way to get from Minot to Los Angeles. It's an interline connection. The first flight makes three stops, and the second flight is a nonstop. Please name the flights and airlines. Somewhat surprisingly, neither flight is on Western Air Lines.

The first flight was on Frontier. The three stops were BIS, RAP and DEN. ISN and Miles City have been ruled out.

The connecting airport was not DEN, PHX, or LAS, and the connection was not on CO, TWA, Hughes Airwest, or a DC-10.

Last edited by JoeDTW; Jan 9, 2020 at 7:32 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
While we're working on jlemon's excellent questions, I'd like to post a question of my own.

As mentioned up thread, last week I received a Sep 1, 1972 OAG that I bought on Ebay. I briefly looked at the Los Angeles flight listings, and found a surprise that is a natural quiz question:

This OAG shows only one way to get from Minot to Los Angeles. It's an interline connection. The first flight makes three stops, and the second flight is a nonstop. Please name the flights and airlines. Somewhat surprisingly, neither flight is on Western Air Lines.
I’ll take a run at this —

Frontier, Convair 580, stops at Williston, Miles City, and Rapid City; connecting in Denver to a Continental DC-10
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:54 pm

I’ll take a run at this —

Frontier, Convair 580, stops at Williston, Miles City, and Rapid City; connecting in Denver to a Continental DC-10
You're headed in the right direction.

The first flight was on Frontier. Rapid City and Denver were two of the three stops, but neither was the connecting airport. The equipment was a 737, not a 580.

The second flight was not on Continental, nor was it on a DC-10.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, now that we’re in the Jet Age, how about MOT-Bismarck (BIS)-RAP-DEN-PHX on the FL 737, connecting to a TWA 707

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 8, 2020 at 10:13 pm Reason: can’t count to three :p
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I knew someone from Minot that called it Mind Rot.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve heard that “Why not Minot?” was a frequent reaction of B-52 crew members upon receiving reassignment orders (luckily I was never one of them)
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

The first flight was on Frontier. Two of the three stops were RAP and DEN. ISN and Miles City have been ruled out.

DEN was not the connecting airport, and the connection was not on CO or a DC-10.
Well, that's a lot to work with now. I know Frontier used to fly MOT-BIS-RAP-DEN and I'm going to guess here that the flight continued on to Las Vegas. As such, it would've been operated with a 737-200. IF Las Vegas IS the connecting city, there are so many options. Let's go with a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30 into LAX.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well, that's a lot to work with now. I know Frontier used to fly MOT-BIS-RAP-DEN and I'm going to guess here that the flight continued on to Las Vegas. As such, it would've been operated with a 737-200. IF Las Vegas IS the connecting city, there are so many options. Let's go with a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30 into LAX.
well, now that we’re in the Jet Age, how about MOT-Bismarck (BIS)-RAP-DEN-PHX on the FL 737, connecting to a TWA 707
The first three stops were indeed BIS, RAP, and DEN, but the connecting point was not PHX or LAS. Neither TWA nor Hughes Airwest was the connecting airline.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the bonus question, Joe! I will be out of town most of today but will attempt to respond to any guesses with regard to the few quiz items I have remaining either this evening or tomorrow. And as previously mentioned, I'll then present my final follow-on set of questions.

And now I'm off to central Louisiana (via Interstate 49 which has a speed limit of 75 mph north of the LFT area which will enable me to exercise my M4 a bit) and lunch at new brewpub with an old friend whom I worked with in the Part 135 commercial helicopter biz......
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first three stops were indeed BIS, RAP, and DEN, but the connecting point was not PHX or LAS. Neither TWA nor Hughes Airwest was the connecting airline.
Albuquerque (ABQ), Texas International DC-9-10
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:11 pm

Albuquerque (ABQ), Texas International DC-9-10
CORRECT!

I"ll post the schedule when I get home from work.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that was a really intriguing question ... looking forward to (more than, hopefully) a few more from that '72 OAG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.