Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Just seen this, a bit busy over here ! Well of course, and I can recommend an infinite variety of pubs for us, not in tourist-and-commerce laden London, but better out in the little villages of, say, Cambridgeshire. And just round the corner from some particularly good ones there is Duxford. And at Duxford we can see a real Concorde, VC-10, Viscount, One-Eleven, Trident, Bristol Britannia, Comet, and so many more of the types we have discussed here !
This is a truly outstanding idea! @:-) :-: ^

Now all you have to do is include a Vanguard in the mix!

And we also await your response to post #1464!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
1) This airline operated a direct, no change of plane service three (3) days a week between Miami and Honolulu. There was a different routing flown between MIA and HNL on each of the three days. Name the air carrier and the jet equipment operated. And for bonus points, also identify the three different routes flown in terms of the specific intermediate stops.

2) What airline operated BAe 146 service into Redmond, OR (RDM)?

3) What airline operated BAC One-Eleven service into Redmond, OR (RDM)?

4) These three (3) airlines were all based on islands not all that far away from either MIA or SJU. All three air carriers operated BAC One-Eleven aircraft. Name these three airlines.

5) Five (5) different airlines based in Central America operated the BAC One-Eleven. Name all five air carriers.

6) What was the Official Airline Guide (OAG) aircraft code for the BAC One-Eleven series 500?

7) Name four (4) air carriers that operated jet service into Redding, CA (RDD). And for bonus points, identify the specific jet equipment flown by each airline

8) Name six (6) airlines that operated jet aircraft into Arcata/Eureka, CA (ACV). And for bonus points, identify the specific jet equipment operated by each air carrier.

9) It's 1968 and you wish to fly first class on board a DC-9 from Curacao, Netherlands Antilles (CUR) to Paramaribo, Suriname (PBM) on the coast of northeast South America. You have your choice of two airlines; however, they operate their respective flights on different days of the week. Identify both air carriers and the aircraft type operated. Also, what was unique about these respective services?

10) It's the spring of 1981 and you wish to fly the short hop from Reno, NV (RNO) to South Lake Tahoe Airport (TVL). What airline and what type of aircraft would you fly on?

11) You have now had a nice stay in the Lake Tahoe area in the spring of 1981 but you have a meeting you must attend in Newport Beach, CA. The closest airfield with airline service to the location of your meeting is Orange County Airport (SNA). You have discovered that one airline offers nonstop service between TVL and SNA. Name the air carrier and the aircraft operated on the route.

12) It's 1984 and Wien Air Alaska has changed its name to Wien Airlines. You wish to fly on this air carrier from Fairbanks (FAI) direct to Denver (DEN) in business class with no change of plane. What type of aircraft would you travel on and where would the flight stop en route?

13) It's the late summer of 1986 and you wish to fly in a jet nonstop from Midland/Odessa, TX (MAF) to Albuquerque (ABQ). Name the airline and the equipment flown.

14) What airline operated nonstop jet service between Stockton, CA (SCK) and Reno, NV (RNO)? Also identify the aircraft type.

15) In the spring of 1962, Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) operated Vickers Vanguard turboprop service featuring first class and coach on nonstop routes from Toronto (YYZ) to three (3) U.S. cities. Name all three U.S. destinations.

16) What airline operated B727 Combi service into Inuvik, NWT, Canada (YEV)? (BTW, YEV is located above the Arctic Circle
)

17) What airline operated Fokker 100 service into Inuvik, NWT, Canada (YEV)?

18) During the winter of 1980, this airline operated B747 flights between Boston (BOS) and four (4) different cities in western Europe. Identify the airline and the four European cities served.

19) Back in the summer of 1963, this airline operated a "Businessmen's Special" flight nonstop between Chicago (ORD) and Houston (HOU). The first class cabin also featured "Silver Service" with complimentary cigars in addition to the finest wines and spirits. Name the airline and the equipment flown. This air carrier also had a special name for their jet aircraft. So, for special bonus points, what was this name?

20) What airline operated Airbus A300 service nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and New Orleans (MSY)?

21) What airline operated Airbus A300 service nonstop between New York (JFK) and Ponce, PR (PSE)?

22) What airline operated Douglas DC-9-50 service twice a day nonstop between McAllen, TX (MFE) and Brownsville, TX (BRO)?

23) What airline operated "Silver Dart" service on a transcontinental route in the North America? Also identify the aircraft type and the cities served.

24) What airline offered "Star Jet" service on board its aircraft? Hint: this airline operated two (2) different jet aircraft types. Identify both types for extra bonus points.

25) It's the fall of 1979 and you wish to fly nonstop from Los Angeles (LAX) to Miami (MIA) in first class on board a B747. What airline would you choose?

26) You've completed your business in Miami in the fall of 1979 and it's now time to return to Los Angeles. The 747 flight you traveled on LAX-MIA was just fine but you would like to try another airline in first class for your journey back to Los Angeles. You discover that every nonstop flight back to LAX is operated exclusively with wide body jet equipment by all of the airlines serving this route except one. This flight only operated three (3) days a week as the air carrier flew a wide body jetliner on the same flight on the other four days. Identify the airline and aircraft type.

27) This airline operated direct, no change of plane service once a week between New Orleans (MSY) and Hilo, Hawaii (ITO). Name the airline and the type of jet aircraft flown. And for bonus points, identify the one (1) intermediate stop between MSY and ITO.
[/I]

The above questions in bold have yet to be answered. I'll leave them out there until this Friday evening.....
Time to close out the remaining questions, I believe.....

8) The six (6) airlines that operated jet equipment into Eureka/Arcata (ACV) in the past are:

Hughes Air West - Douglas DC-9-10 & DC-9-30
Pacific Airlines - Boeing 727-100
Pacific Southwest Airlines - BAe 146-200
SkyWest operating as the Delta Connection - Canadair CRJ-200 (routing was ACV-SLC)
United Airlines - Boeing 737-200
WestAir operating as United Express - BAe 146-200

10) Golden Gate Airlines with a Dash 7 (routing was RNO-TVL-SFO)

13) & 14) Frontier with the Boeing 737-200 in both cases (routings were MAF-ABQ-DEN and SCK-RNO-DEN)

17) Canadian North. The Fokker 100 did not stay in the fleet very long. This carrier currently operates Boeing 737-200 and 737-300 jet equipment as well as Dash 8 turboprops.

19) Braniff International with either Boeing 707-227 or Boeing 720-027 equipment (BN tended to use these two types interchangeably) which they called "El Dorado Super Jets".

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reason: Equipment correction
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Just seen this, a bit busy over here ! Well of course, and I can recommend an infinite variety of pubs for us, not in tourist-and-commerce laden London, but better out in the little villages of, say, Cambridgeshire. And just round the corner from some particularly good ones there is Duxford. And at Duxford we can see a real Concorde, VC-10, Viscount, One-Eleven, Trident, Bristol Britannia, Comet, and so many more of the types we have discussed here !
WHBM If only you were near LHR last Wednesday, I would have taken you up on your fine idea as I had an eight hour layover in between flights. Let's plan for a DO in the future.

This is a truly outstanding idea! @:-) :-: ^

Now all you have to do is include a Vanguard in the mix!

And we also await your response to post #1464!
jlemon Have a great trip up north. I will do a short trip report on mine during this weekend once i recover from being back at work in DC and flashing back, thinking I'm still in SIN.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
WHBM If only you were near LHR last Wednesday
The curious thing is, not only was I near there, I actually flew into there that day. Not that it was my intention. Was on the daily Nice to London City Embraer 190 flight, which taxied out as far as the runway hold point at Nice before stopping for a few minutes, captain appeared in the cabin to look out of the rear windows at something (uh-oh), back to a remote stand, sat there for over an hour, flight cancelled, back into the terminal to be rebooked, and ended up on a Nice to Heathrow BA flight several hours later.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:27 am

Now all you have to do is include a Vanguard in the mix!!
The Vanguard is at Brooklands, which is just south of Heathrow, along with another Concorde, another One-Eleven ....... you get the idea. We'll need a couple of days won't we !

Here's the very last Vanguard landing ever, onto a tiny runway strip at the museum !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmakSwlYLs0
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:48 am

With regard to the fleetname "Super One-Eleven", did this have something to do with the acquisition of BEA by BA? Perhaps pertaining to BEA's former IGS (internal German service) operations that continued to be flown with former BEA stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500 aircraft after the acquisition of this airline by British Airways?
The airline, and indeed the West Berlin connection, are correct, but not connected with BEA's merger into BA (which was really only an organisational change, both carriers had always been owned by the UK government). No, at a time when most domestic flights in Europe were operated as a monopoly by the relevant national carrier, services from Berlin to the rest of Germany were in the hands of three carriers, Pan Am, BEA and Air France. Staring in the mid-1960s, Pan Am moved on from DC-6Bs to 727s, and BEA responded with Viscounts changing to One-Elevens. Air France had always been the weak party with a few flights on unpressurised DC-4s, they switched these to Caravelles, but the resulting noise was so unacceptable at city-centre Berlin Tempelhof airport (which is situated like Manhattan had a jet airport at about 30th Street) that they got banished to the then relatively unused at the time Tegel airport. So (Berlin politics not allowing a withdrawl) they came to a deal which was an early form of code-share with BEA, whose fleet was rebranded to just say One-Eleven. This ran on for some years and into the BA days, until the agreement ended, politics eased a bit, Air France said goodbye to german domestic services, and the BA fleet got painted properly. The whole Berlin story of those years would make a good book (now there's an idea).

Here's one at Berlin at the time. It seems to have gained a small BEA decal at the front - they didn't all have these.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/BEA--...da977bf84f976f
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Vanguard is at Brooklands, which is just south of Heathrow, along with another Concorde, another One-Eleven ....... you get the idea. We'll need a couple of days won't we !

Here's the very last Vanguard landing ever, onto a tiny runway strip at the museum !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmakSwlYLs0
Excellent video! And very glad to see the flight crew missed the rather large holes next to the runway threshold!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:05 am

Northeast Corridor + Silk Road

This is the Tonywestsider version of an itinerary that looks like this:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=WAS-BOS...ST-LHR-BOS-BWI

WAS-BOS-LHR-IST-HKG-SIN-IST-LHR-BOS-BWI: This itinerary is composed of a postponed BOS-LHR flight with an added on LHR-IST-HKG/SIN-IST-LHR segment, a separate HKG-SIN segment, a separate WAS-BOS segment and a separate BOS-BWI segment. The trip went like this:

WAS-BOS, Amtrak Acela: I left Washington DC in the morning. This route is part of the Northeast Corridor, which is the most heavily used line in the Amtrak system. Using Club Acela, priority boarding was available at WAS. The train had a 10-minute layover in NYP, where there is a change of crew. My train arrived at South Station 20 minutes late due to some onboard mechanical problem, causing a couple of stoppages. Fortunately, my connecting flight out of BOS was three hours later.

BOS-LHR, Virgin Atlantic (VS): The ticket that I have on this segment is part of a promotion so I am required to depart and arrive using BOS and LHR in order to retain the special fare. I checked into the VS Clubhouse, which was great. You can order complete dinners there with all of the drink you can handle, all complimentary with an Upper Class (UC) ticket. VS used an Airbus A340-600 on this flight, departing at 19:30. We had supper aboard the flight with cocktails, dessert and breakfast in the morning. There is a very stylish bar onboard, located between UC and Premium Economy. Sleep suits were available for every UC passenger. Turndown service is also available, where the FA will turn your mini-suite seat into a bed complete with duvet. VS features there own arrivals lounge upon arrival at 7:45 at LHR called, Revivals. At Revivals, you can get a shower, have your suit pressed, enjoy a full breakfast and get a spa treatment, all complimentary with your UC ticket. I checked into my next flight and then used another lounge without invitation called the Number One Lounge at LHR Terminal 3 before my next flight, which was eight hours later.

LHR-IST, IST-HKG, Turkish Airlines (TK): LHR to IST was on an Airbus A330 in Economy. TK had the latest in-flight entertainment system on board. Their meals in Economy were filling and very good. I had a kebob selection, which was very tasty. There was hot towel service by very efficient FAs. TK uses flowers to decorate the wall adjacent to the entry door of their plane, along with their livery inset and lit on the same wall. Nice touch. We departed LHR at 16:30 and arrived in IST at 22:15. The IST to HKG segment was on a Boeing 777-300ER. We departed IST at 0:50. This was a 10-hour flight in Comfort Class, which is premium economy type cabin with big recliner type seats, similar to the Sleeperette service that carriers like PA had back in the day. The seats were very comfortable. The FAs passed out slippers, a nice amenity kit and hot towel service. Best of all, this flight featured an on board chef, who ensures quality control on all of the meals served. We had a full dinner that was served at 02:00, complete with fruit, salad, cheese, bread, mezze, a main entrée (I had salmon) and dessert. All of the food was fresh and of course, halal. We also had a full breakfast prior to arrival in HKG, which was at 16:30. To note, the onboard chef greets all passengers at the door upon boarding and says goodbye to all passengers upon arrival, so TK really brands this service as the hallmark of their service quality. TK really impressed me.

HKG-SIN, Singapore Airlines (SQ): SQ used a Boeing 777-200 on this route. I was in Economy but SQ, being SQ, never fails. Their FA service is flawless, there was a choice of a western style or Asian entrée for lunch and their in-flight entertainment is top notch. We had a turbulent flight because of a remnant of some typhoon, which we might have crossed along the way. Nevertheless, even if you are seated in Economy, every seat gets a blanket and a silk pillow. This is premium service in Economy at its best, on, IMO, the world’s best airline.

SIN-IST, IST-LHR, TK: SIN to IST was on an A330 in Business Class. Concierge check-in where you enter a lounge to check-in to your flight while seated in a comfy chair is featured at SIN landside. Two-door boarding is also featured at SIN. This 10-hour, 20-minute flight also features an onboard chef, preparing a fantastic dinner for us. Large menus personalized with the passenger’s name on the menu are distributed to every passenger in Business Class. Passengers are asked to fill out their choices on the breakfast menu and turn in their choices to the FA before going to sleep on a very modern seat that converts to a lie-flat bed. This was a comfortable flight and is an SQ code-share flight. The IST to LHR segment was on another A330 in Economy. The Concierge check-in agents in SIN assigned me bulkhead seating, where there was extra legroom. The breakfast served was quite filling.

LHR-BOS: VS on an A340-600, Upper Class. All of the stories about people avoiding London during the Olympics were true. I breezed through security with no queue, even though I was a transit customer at LHR. After security and check-in at the airline connections desk, I went to the VS Clubhouse, had a shower, a spa treatment and brunch. VS’s Clubhouse is spacious and is absolutely fantastic. The flight back to BOS was excellent, as usual for VS.

BOS-BWI: AirTran (FL) on a Boeing 717, Business Class. There is 2+2 seating in the first three rows in front of the cabin. The 717 is my favorite short-range aircraft. Unfortunately, all of this will vanish into the history of this thread one day, when FL fully merges into Southwest (WN).

Summary: I usually fly on VS. Their service, at least in UC was great and they did not disappoint on this trip. This was also my first trip using TK. I am impressed with what they do, with the kind of service you will only find on carriers such as SQ or the carriers that used to have this kind of service that we discuss on this thread. Also, SQ never fails me. They are my fallback airline, where all else fails, there is always SQ. I’d say that some of the highlights of this trip other than the airline service is the comparison of activities experienced during event season at LHR and IST. I noticed moderate foot traffic experienced at LHR right before the Olympics started. The activeness at LHR Terminal 3 actually died down after the Olympics started on my way home. In contrast, IST was busy as a beehive in the middle of the night and remaining busy very early in the morning. Many travelers were passing through IST as part of their travels during Ramadan season, much more than customers passing through Terminal 3 LHR. All in all, it was quite a journey, leaving WAS and then arriving in HKG two days later with an eight-hour layover in between in LHR and two hour layover in IST. The return trip from SIN, was faster, where I was able to arrive at BWI in 24 hours, including a six-hour layover in LHR and a two-hour layover in IST. Best of all, the agents at the Concierge check-in at SIN were able to check my bag from SIN all the way through to BOS. They bypassed all the airline policies about interlining transfer baggage on one ticket. I had multiple airline tickets and I was impressed that they were able to interline baggage to the next port of debarkation, half way around the world in 21 hours.

With your permission, and in honor of this thread, I would like to post some questions related to this itinerary in my next post. I also invite your comments/impressions about this post as well.

Last edited by tonywestsider; Aug 5, 2012 at 12:16 am
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thnaks for this nice trip report, Tony! I had a chance to fly UC on Virgin once but as I was booked in First aboard BA, I decided to hold out for First on a different BA flight. Probably a good choice in terms of overall service but then I missed out on a chance to fly my 157th airline. Oh well, some day.

Glad you made it home in good stead and I look forward to any questions you may post regarding this itinerary and these carriers. ^^
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Afternoon from Alaska!

Great flights up here yesterday, especially in the front cabin of a UA (ex CO) 738 DEN-FAI nonstop with a CO crew. We chased the sunset over Wyoming, Montana, British Columbia, the Yukon and eastern Alaska for about five hours.

Just had a superb Sunday champagne brunch at Pike's Landing on the Chena River very near to Fairbanks Intl. (FAI). Absolutely beautiful WX so we sat outside in the sunshine on the deck by the river. Many thanks to Seat 2A for the excellent tip concerning this fine establishment! And how about another glass of champagne there, miss!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:38 am

Northeast Corridor + Silk Road Questions

Thanks for your comment Seat 2A. It looks like jlemon is on an interesting trip. I'm interested in trying out the route, one of these days...

And now, here's something different. Tonywestsider will pose questions where you will have to imagine going on a Time Machine, transporting you from one year to the next, based on his experiences of the previous trip report of the Northeast Corridor + Silk Road. These questions will pop up once you step out of the Time Machine to a specific place in time along the itinerary. So Tonywestisder’s time machine will now take you to these places and pose the following questions:

Northeast Corridor, East Coast U.S.
Before boarding the Time Machine, you note that today, more travel within the Northeast Corridor between WAS to BOS is done by train rather than by airline. That might not have been the case years ago. Tonywestsider’s Time Machine will now transport you to back in time to:

1963 -You’ve stepped out of the Time Machine and noticed that there is a well-known airline offering hourly service from WAS airports to New York, Newark and Boston, where customers simply walk up to the gate at the airport and board the next available flight to these cities. If you were doing this, you would instead pay onboard. What was the name of the airline that offered this service? What was the name of this service offered by the airline? What were the aircraft used for this service? What was their brand name the airline used to call their aircraft at that time?

1967- The Time Machine suddenly transports you before you board that next flight in 1963 to 1967. You are at the same WAS airport and at the same gate. You’re about to board the same airline you would use in 1963 but suddenly noticed that the airline had a new livery and aircraft. What was the nickname of the livery this airline used in 1967? What aircraft was introduced in 1967 that was different from the ones used in 1963? Did the airline give these new aircraft a brand name and if so, what was it?

Boston – London
1966 – The Time Machine has taken you back one year to 1966 in Boston. There was no VS flying from London to Boston at that time and you could instead use what would be known today as VS’s English competitor. What carrier would you be flying on? This carrier flew from Boston to two cities over the Atlantic. What two cities were they? What aircraft was used? Bonus question: this carrier also provided service west and south of Boston. Where did the carrier go and what were these routes?

London – Istanbul
1947 – The Time Machine suddenly hurls you back to 1947 in London. You need to get to Istanbul and found a famous non-British airline that flies between London and Istanbul as part of their Around the World service. What airline would you call that provided this service? What were the flight numbers? What aircraft was used?

1953 – You’re suddenly in 1953 in Istanbul. You tried to make a reservation to go to London on BOAC, only to find out that they didn’t have the route. The other British carrier had service to Istanbul from another city. What was the other carrier and where did it go from Istanbul?

1957 – Now the Time Machine brings you to Istanbul on this year. You notice that BOAC finally has a London – Istanbul route but noticed that it is restricted with no local traffic on the route. Can you explain why?

Istanbul – Hong Kong/Istanbul – Singapore
2012 - Suddenly, the Time Machine brought you back to today in Istanbul. You realize that TK is the only carrier that provides nonstop service from IST to HKG. Then the Time Machine sends you back again.

1953 – You’re in Istanbul, thinking that TK can fly you from Istanbul to Hong Kong but TK is essentially a domestic carrier in this year. You have other choices of carriers and alternative cities and have selected the successor to Imperial Airways, which flies to Singapore along the Silk Road corridor. You then fly from Istanbul to Singapore with many stops in between. What carrier as described brought you to Singapore during this year? What was the aircraft used that got you there?

Singapore – Hong Kong
1967 – The Time Machine takes you to this year in Singapore. You need to get to Hong Kong and you’re ready to call SQ for a reservation but suddenly realize that you’re in 1967 and there is no SQ. What airline would you call instead, that was SQ’s predecessor? What aircraft did this carrier fly on the route that year?

Boston – Baltimore
2012 – The Time Machine hurdles you back to Boston today. You’re about to board the same FL flight from BOS to BWI that Tonywestsider took that was on a Boeing 717. Where did the original legacy design of the 717 come from? Hint: It originally was not a Boeing design. Bonus question: what did Boeing do circa 2005 to the windshields of the 717 and the 737 that modified the look of the aircraft's nose?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by tonywestsider

1963 -You’ve stepped out of the Time Machine and noticed that there is a well-known airline offering hourly service from WAS airports to New York, Newark and Boston, where customers simply walk up to the gate at the airport and board the next available flight to these cities. If you were doing this, you would instead pay onboard. What was the name of the airline that offered this service? What was the name of this service offered by the airline? What were the aircraft used for this service? What was their brand name the airline used to call their aircraft at that time?
This would be the Eastern Airlines "Air-Shuttle". They worked through several aircraft types over time, in 1963 they were Lockheed L1049 Constellations, which Eastern called "Golden Falcon". The pattern of no-reservations, backup aircraft to guarantee a seat was later picked up by British Airways, with "The Shuttle", who progressively introduced it in the 1970s on their trunk domestic services from London, building up to a very substantial operation. After some years British Midland were given licences to compete on the routes, initially to Glasgow, and mounted a large publicity campaign for their introduction. British Airways completely ruined their publicity that week by not only uprating the service specification to the "Super Shuttle", but by putting Concorde on the London to Glasgow route, odd flights only but there was the chance that you might get it, and press attention was completely diverted !

1967- The Time Machine suddenly transports you before you board that next flight in 1963 to 1967. You are at the same WAS airport and at the same gate. You’re about to board the same airline you would use in 1963 but suddenly noticed that the airline had a new livery and aircraft. What was the nickname of the livery this airline used in 1967? What aircraft was introduced in 1967 that was different from the ones used in 1963? Did the airline give these new aircraft a brand name and if so, what was it?
The new livery was a two shades of blue line along the aircraft and sweeping up the fin, often called the "Hockey stick". And in 1967 Eastern introduced new DC-9-30 jets onto the shuttle for the first time. Their brand name for them, and the 727s coming on line at the same time, was "Whisperjet". This may indeed seem like a complete untruth, knowing those aircraft, but in those days the feelings of those around the airports didn't count for anything; the whisper bit was reference to the general noise level in the cabin with engines mounted at the rear.

Boston – London
1966 – The Time Machine has taken you back one year to 1966 in Boston. There was no VS flying from London to Boston at that time and you could instead use what would be known today as VS’s English competitor. What carrier would you be flying on? This carrier flew from Boston to two cities over the Atlantic. What two cities were they? What aircraft was used? Bonus question: this carrier also provided service west and south of Boston. Where did the carrier go and what were these routes?
Well, home territory for me, it was British Airways' predecessor, BOAC, and depending on when in 1966, the aircraft had just changed over to the Super VC-10, which were brand new. Not enough demand in Boston for a daily service to London, so the aircraft continued on to Detroit. You couldn't buy a ticket just for the US section though.

There was also a separate service on odd days that came from London, stopped at Prestwick airport in Scotland, then Boston, and finally New York JFK. Nobody (apart maybe one of us lot) would be silly enough to book right through, and the initial leg carried hardly anybody, but it provided the Scottish transatlantic service. Still used 707s in 1966 I believe, and for some time afterwards, the BOAC ones with Rolls-Royce engines.

I'm sorry, but if you have ever been to Prestwick you will know it's not a city ! It was, in those days, well over an hour on the old A77 road from Glasgow, and the airport rail station wasn't built then.

For those who followed the link a few posts above of the Vanguard arriving at Brooklands, in 1966 brand-new Super VC-10s were leaving from that same runway, as this is where the Vickers factory was.

We'll draw a veil over British Airways being described as "English" ...... !

London – Istanbul
1947 – The Time Machine suddenly hurls you back to 1947 in London. You need to get to Istanbul and found a famous non-British airline that flies between London and Istanbul as part of their Around the World service. What airline would you call that provided this service? What were the flight numbers? What aircraft was used?
OK, this will be Pan Am, and 1947, IIRC, was when Pan Am started their round-the-world flight, so it will be PA2. No Stratocruisers yet, so Pan Am were using L-749 Constellations at the time (which they retired quite early) on Transatlantic routes.

1953 – You’re suddenly in 1953 in Istanbul. You tried to make a reservation to go to London on BOAC, only to find out that they didn’t have the route. The other British carrier had service to Istanbul from another city. What was the other carrier and where did it go from Istanbul?
The "other" British carrier (actually there were plenty of other UK airlines at the time, alas all now gone) was the other half of the British Airways merger, BEA. Istanbul airport is actually in Europe, so BEA got it. The flight to London probably took all day, but at least by 1953 the Viscount 700 had come along so it wasn't a day long pounding in an Airspeed Ambassador. Routing would be Istanbul-Athens-Rome-London. This route and stops were maintained by BEA right through to the late 1960s, latterly using Comet 4Bs (which were quite capable of getting to Istanbul nonstop), and BEA had some longstanding joint arrangements in the area with Olympic Airways of Greece, and Cyprus Airways (which they owned) to manage their services and provide aircraft.

1957 – Now the Time Machine brings you to Istanbul on this year. You notice that BOAC finally has a London – Istanbul route but noticed that it is restricted with no local traffic on the route. Can you explain why?
I should have my books with me, but again IIRC BOAC's Middle East hub had long been Cairo - it was second only to New York for passengers and freight. Following a little difficulty between the UK and Egypt in 1956, service to Cairo had to be suspended, BOAC diverted around elsewhere in the region, but Istanbul was already BEA territory and, in the days of licences, couldn't get a licence for London traffic.
Istanbul – Hong Kong/Istanbul – Singapore
2012 - Suddenly, the Time Machine brought you back to today in Istanbul. You realize that TK is the only carrier that provides nonstop service from IST to HKG. Then the Time Machine sends you back again.

1953 – You’re in Istanbul, thinking that TK can fly you from Istanbul to Hong Kong but TK is essentially a domestic carrier in this year. You have other choices of carriers and alternative cities and have selected the successor to Imperial Airways, which flies to Singapore along the Silk Road corridor. You then fly from Istanbul to Singapore with many stops in between. What carrier as described brought you to Singapore during this year? What was the aircraft used that got you there?
I didn't think BOAC, Imperial's successor, BOAC, were going to Istanbul in 1953, so I'm intrigued. I would have expected you need to go down to Beirut and pick up the flight there. All sorts of stops onward to Singapore which varied between each flight and also seemed to change each timetable. Depending on when in 1953, the Comet 1 jet came onto the Singapore route that year, which was absolute novelty, while the BOAC flights going through Singapore to Australia were using L-749 Constellations. Lastly there were tourist class (ie Economy) flights on BOAC's good old stalwart, the Argonaut (alias the Canadair 4), which thundered on with BOAC well after both the Comet 1 (unfortunately) and the Constellations had been withdrawn.

Singapore – Hong Kong
1967 – The Time Machine takes you to this year in Singapore. You need to get to Hong Kong and you’re ready to call SQ for a reservation but suddenly realize that you’re in 1967 and there is no SQ. What airline would you call instead, that was SQ’s predecessor? What aircraft did this carrier fly on the route that year?
This will be Malaysia Singapore Airlines (MSA), which BOAC still had part ownership of, who operated to Hong Kong with yellow-painted Comet 4 jets. You will notice voices from the flight deck still sound familiar from earlier legs of our flights, as the pilots at this stage were still all British or Australian. MSA broke up some years later into Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines, but for now it's jointly owned and the flight may well route through Kuala Lumpur. MSA called their Comets "Silver Kris" jets, and this name has stuck right through to Singapore Airlines current services.

Boston – Baltimore
2012 – The Time Machine hurdles you back to Boston today. You’re about to board the same FL flight from BOS to BWI that Tonywestsider took that was on a Boeing 717. Where did the original legacy design of the 717 come from? Hint: It originally was not a Boeing design. Bonus question: what did Boeing do circa 2005 to the windshields of the 717 and the 737 that modified the look of the aircraft's nose?
The 717 is actually a Douglas DC-9, having gone through two changes of ownership of the manufacturer. Sometimes you wonder how much of the original tooling at the plant was still in use at the end. Boeing deleted the "eyebrow" windows above the main flight deck ones, which I believe had originally been an FAA requirement - things must have changed.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:34 pm

Mr. WHBM, you are totally correct on all counts! You are the Northeast Corridor+Silk Road Historian of the year! I knew I could count on you to answer these time machine questions.

I wish I could knight you, but unfortunately, it's not possible from here. We'll have to get HRH to do that for you.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:06 am

Don't forget TWA!

Didn't know about Air America though. Good one!

Here's an odd one from mid-eighties OAGs ~

What airline provided scheduled though short lived 747 service between Dallas and St. Louis? (Hint: It wasn't American and its 747s were powered by GE engines)
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:22 am

Hello there Let Me In, if you have 1980s OAGs in your collection then you'll be on familiar ground here

Originally Posted by letmeinplz
What airline provided scheduled though short lived 747 service between Dallas and St. Louis? (Hint: It wasn't American and its 747s were powered by GE engines)
Were they all GE, or were some P&W, bought secondhand because their original owner themselves was standardising on GE, and selling off the old ones ...... ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.