FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 20, 12:04 pm
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel View Post
Only idle curiosity on my part, but how does it work for the Isle of Man?
The Isle of Man, like Jersey, is not legally part of the UK nor the EU, is also part of the immigration control area, but unlike Jersey they apply UK taxes like VAT so there are no customs either. Thus flights from Britain are treated as wholly domestic. The few flights from Dublin are the same. There are odd holiday flights per year returning from Spain, for which one officer from the tax department dons a uniform and checks both passports and customs. Being the Isle of Man, most of the returning passengers probably know him, or are even related. Because it's a significant offshore banking centre they do have a heavier presence in financial fraud detection. The UK regional tax office in Liverpool has long helped them out.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-governm...cise-division/

I have to do all this for my day job, having customers in both places ! Last flight from London City to the Isle of Man was on an Eastern Airways Saab 2000, standing in for a BA commuter one. For the equivalent of a major piece of complex UK tax legislation, with many manuals, I phoned up their tax office. Finding the relevant officer only worked 3 mornings a week I called again and she said she would email me the whole literature in a 10 page Word document, mentioning in passing that she knew all the relevant organisations anyway, including the couple that needed watching ...