FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:15 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Let's try to tap these two in.

10. I'll guess a DC-9-30.

35. I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of it sooner, but the answer is HNL.
10. Please guess again!

35. Yep! Canadian was operating nonstop DC-10 service to Honolulu from both Vancouver and Calgary at this time and I believe some of the flights from YVR continued on to Nandi and Sydney.

I also remember watching a CP DC-10-30 depart from HNL years ago in a torrential rain storm. I was Director of Marketing at the time for Mahalo Air and our offices and hangar were located adjacent to one of the runways at HNL - we had a great view of the airfield. There was a tropical weather system passing near the islands and an intense squall line was moving across the airport. The DC-10 held short for a bit but then took off anyway. The aircraft was streaming quite a bit of water as it roared down the runway - very impressive and one wonders what the passengers were thinking. Following the departure of the CP DC-10, other departing flights were then held until the squall passed.