Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Indeed, Horizon Air's first code sharing relationship was with United with this agreement becoming effective in the summer of 1985.
Did this codeshare come about as a result, major or minor, of United buying Pan Am's Pacific operation and needing a feed? I just assumed most of PA's TPAC flights operated out of SFO.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Thai had a very interesting operation at SEA in that era, which has probably been covered as a quiz item (and which I certainly have offered up as an (wrong) answer). Into the early 21st century, the legacy of this long-ceased operation was reportedly an excellent and authentic Thai restaurant in Seatac (an actual municipality) or closeby.
TG ran a 747 BKK-NRT-SEA, and briefly extended the route with tag-ons to both DFW and YYZ

SEA was obviously a crew change point, and very soon after service began the flight and cabin crews complained about the lack of good Thai food during their long layovers ... Bai Tong restaurant opened adjacent to a small nearby hotel, which quickly became the contract accommodations for the TG crews; the restaurant continued to draw a large customer base even after the airline dropped its SEA service, and has twice moved to larger spaces in more accessible locations (first to Pacific Highway South, and later to its current Southcenter Parkway site)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
TG ran a 747 BKK-NRT-SEA, and briefly extended the route with tag-ons to both DFW and YYZ.

IIRC, the tag-on was interesting in how it was operated. I can think of very few similar routes that this tag-on method was used (one being IB's operations in MIA ~20 years ago and earlier, and PA's and TW's regional operations in Europe).

SEA was obviously a crew change point, and very soon after service began the flight and cabin crews complained about the lack of good Thai food during their long layovers ... Bai Tong restaurant opened adjacent to a small nearby hotel, which quickly became the contract accommodations for the TG crews; the restaurant continued to draw a large customer base even after the airline dropped its SEA service, and has twice moved to larger spaces in more accessible locations (first to Pacific Highway South, and later to its current Southcenter Parkway site)
Thanks. Never remembered the name hence never went there. Seattle seems like a continental away now though.

Bai Tong story here:
https://www.baitongthairestaurant.com/our-story
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

Thanks. Never remembered the name hence never went there. Seattle seems like a continental away now though.

Bai Tong story here:
https://www.baitongthairestaurant.com/our-story
very cool, thanks for the link ... I’ve been to all three of their airport-area locations over the years, but had no idea they now have two more
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Did this codeshare come about as a result, major or minor, of United buying Pan Am's Pacific operation and needing a feed? I just assumed most of PA's TPAC flights operated out of SFO.
To be honest, I have no idea. But if I had to guess, I'd have to say no. I think it's safe to say that Seattle was an important station in United's system and had been for many years prior to UA acquiring Pan Am's Pacific Division. I also think United saw the increasing traffic that a growing Horizon Air was carrying between SEA (as well as PDX) and smaller communities in the Pacific Northwest and simply wanted the QX feed primarily for the UA domestic and international routes operated from Seattle.

And BTW, after Horizon Air was acquired by Alaska Airlines, UA then helped to set up another regional code sharing operation with United Express feeder flights serving SEA and PDX which I believe was initially operated by North Pacific Airlines (NPA) flying BAe Jetstream 31 aircraft with Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia aircraft then being introduced in addition to the J31s. I also seem to recall that NPA was a division of WestAir which was operating United Express service primarily in California at the time.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 24, 2019 at 11:54 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BA
Seattle had long been a major United point to many destinations, both eastwards towards Chicago and south to California, ever since the 1930s. Remember that in those early days both United Airlines and Boeing were under common ownership. Before deregulation they must have been the No 1 airline there.

I don't think Pan Am ever operated across the Pacific to Asia from Seattle, so the purchase of the transpacific Asian routes would not have impacted here Northwest was the established Seattle carrier to Asia..

flight and cabin crews complained about the lack of good Thai food during their long layovers
Off topic, but Thai restaurants were pretty unknown in Britain until recent times. However, strangely, they have started a way of taking over classic British country pubs, a trade notably in decline, and changing them over to wayside Thai restaurants. I guess the substantial holiday trade to Thailand has brought back many now with an experience of the country.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 25, 2019 at 3:47 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Seattle had long been a major United point to many destinations, both eastwards towards Chicago and south to California, ever since the 1930s. Remember that in those early days both United Airlines and Boeing were under common ownership. Before deregulation they must have been the No 1 airline there.

I don't think Pan Am ever operated across the Pacific to Asia from Seattle, so the purchase of the transpacific Asian routes would not have impacted here Northwest was the established Seattle carrier to Asia..

Off topic, but Thai restaurants were pretty unknown in Britain until recent times. However, strangely, they have started a way of taking over classic British country pubs, a trade notably in decline, and changing them over to wayside Thai restaurants. I guess the substantial holiday trade to Thailand has brought back many now with an experience of the country.
Back in 1983 when Alaska Airlines was operating a small fleet of B727-100, B727-200 and B737-200 aircraft, United was running a significant operation at Seattle. UA nonstops at that time into SEA included service from ORD (with the only wide body aircraft from O'Hare including 747, 767 and DC-10 service), DEN (including two DC-10 flights), HNL (daily DC-10), LAX, JFK (daily 767 and DC-10 flights), PDX, SAN, SFO, SMF and RNO as well as international flights including a daily DC-10-30 nonstop from HKG, a 747 nonstop from NRT operated six days a week and, of course, several flights a day from YVR.

And as long as the aforementioned Thai restaurants in the UK continue to serve a proper ale on tap, I'm in!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are all of the current quiz items that remain unanswered or partially answered with hints included....

The following two quiz items both have a time line of the fall of 1993.....

36. There was only one airline operating Boeing 747-400 service nonstop from Brussels (BRU) to London Heathrow at this time. This flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service. The flight originated in Asia. The air carrier wasn't Thai Airways International.

39. You are in Caracas and need to travel to Seattle. Ah, what's this? A direct one stop flight and first class is available! You will depart CCS at 10:00 am and arrive into SEA at 7:05 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. This was a same plane service with no change of equipment and the stop was made in the U.S.

The next quiz item has a time line of the fall of 1994.....

41. You are in San Francisco and need to travel to Port of Spain in Trinidad on business. To your great surprise, you find there is a direct flight from SFO to POS which operates daily. Four stops are made en route by this service which departs San Francisco at 6:10 am and arrives into Port of Spain at 11:57 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on this flight. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft.
The airline is United flying a routing of SFO - DEN - ___ - MIA - CCS - POS.Still looking for the equipment which wasn't a B727-200 or DC-8-71 as well as the missing stop which wasn't IAD.

50. It's now late spring in 2001 and your long term project work conducted from an office near La Guardia Airport in New York City has almost concluded. There's just one more meeting to attend and it will involve a lunch at a location near San Francisco International Airport. You've grown accustomed to flying out of La Guardia during this work assignment as the airfield is very conveniently located to the office and your apartment. So you find a direct flight departing LGA at 6:50 am which will get you into SFO at 11:30 am with one stop being made en route. You're not familiar with the airline operating the flight but you've been informed you will be flying on board an aircraft type which the air carrier has recently introduced into their small fleet. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. The air carrier in question was a recent start-up which had been in operation for several years at this time.

The time line for this quiz item is the fall of 1993.....

52. Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) nonstop to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier.
This flight originated in Asia. The airline in question wasn't Air China, China Airlines or EVA Air.

The following three quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994....

67. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Aruba (AUA) to Houston (IAH) at this time with the service being operated three days a week. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type. ANSWERED - The airline was VIASA operating a B727-200.

71. This airline was operating the only direct service from New Orleans (MSY) to Portland, Maine (PWM) at this time with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

72. This air carrier was operating the only direct service from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Bangor, Maine (BGR) at this time with two stops being made en route. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. It wasn't USAir or Midway, the equipment wasn't a B737-200 or Fokker 100 and the first stop wasn't made at CLT or RDU. The second stop was made in Newburgh, NY (SWF).

Bonus quiz item....

Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) nonstop to London Gatwick (LGW) in the fall of 1993. This flight was operated three days a week. However, on November 1 of that year, this airline began serving London Heathrow (LHR) instead of LGW from CDG with a B747-400 and the frequency was dropped to just one nonstop flight a week. Name this air carrier. ANSWERED

Last call for the above! And should there be no takers, I shall provide the answers as the weekend progresses......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 26, 2019 at 5:53 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dupe post....
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet another dupe post as computer hardware problems continue to occur....and may have to head to Costco in the near future for a new laptop.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
And as long as the aforementioned Thai restaurants in the UK continue to serve a proper ale on tap, I'm in!
Sorry, but all pub aspects completely vanish ...

Meanwhile, in a related move, this happened today. Shock-horror. Which may deter jlemon even further from ever visiting the land of 146s, Viscounts and Concorde again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business

On the other hand, look what just rumbled noisily right over Chateau WHBM and the rest of London. Lovely old sound.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 25, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Sorry, but all pub aspects completely vanish ...

Meanwhile, in a related move, this happened today. Shock-horror. Which may deter jlemon even further from ever visiting the land of 146s, Viscounts and Concorde again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business

On the other hand, look what just rumbled noisily right over Chateau WHBM and the rest of London. Lovely old sound.
Ah, yes....I believe you are referring to the acquisition of London Pride by Asahi. And I must admit I certainly share CAMRA's sentiments concerning this development.

However, stiff upper lip and all that and I'm sure we shall soldier on and thus be able find a proper English Ale on tap somewhere in London.....
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:05 pm

On the other hand, look at this wonderful old Antonov 12 4-engined Soviet turboprop which just rumbled noisily right over Chateau WHBM and the rest of London. Lovely old sound. Audible from 18,000 ft right inside the house, the sound rolled around for several minutes. So not a bad place after all.

Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

52. Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) nonstop to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier.
China Airlines?

Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) nonstop to London Gatwick (LGW) in the fall of 1993. This flight was operated three days a week. However, on November 1 of that year, this airline began serving London Heathrow (LHR) instead of LGW from CDG with a B747-400 and the frequency was dropped to just one nonstop flight a week. Name this air carrier
I'll guess Cathay Pacific.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jan 25, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:02 am

Just out of curiousity, does the inclusion of a flight in the OAG imply the airline had traffic rights between all the points, or are the timings for passenger information only?

I'm struggling to believe (and remember) that some of these London-Europe-Asia flights would have been able to carry pax between LON and Europe only in the 1990s.

Thanks
KT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.