FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:24 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Seattle had long been a major United point to many destinations, both eastwards towards Chicago and south to California, ever since the 1930s. Remember that in those early days both United Airlines and Boeing were under common ownership. Before deregulation they must have been the No 1 airline there.

I don't think Pan Am ever operated across the Pacific to Asia from Seattle, so the purchase of the transpacific Asian routes would not have impacted here Northwest was the established Seattle carrier to Asia..

Off topic, but Thai restaurants were pretty unknown in Britain until recent times. However, strangely, they have started a way of taking over classic British country pubs, a trade notably in decline, and changing them over to wayside Thai restaurants. I guess the substantial holiday trade to Thailand has brought back many now with an experience of the country.
Back in 1983 when Alaska Airlines was operating a small fleet of B727-100, B727-200 and B737-200 aircraft, United was running a significant operation at Seattle. UA nonstops at that time into SEA included service from ORD (with the only wide body aircraft from O'Hare including 747, 767 and DC-10 service), DEN (including two DC-10 flights), HNL (daily DC-10), LAX, JFK (daily 767 and DC-10 flights), PDX, SAN, SFO, SMF and RNO as well as international flights including a daily DC-10-30 nonstop from HKG, a 747 nonstop from NRT operated six days a week and, of course, several flights a day from YVR.

And as long as the aforementioned Thai restaurants in the UK continue to serve a proper ale on tap, I'm in!