Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I can't find a film on Youtube. But here they are https://mikesdamphotoblog.com/2018/0...rives-in-page/ , British minor royalty (that's a regular expression, by the way, for relatives) in Arizona, with the aircraft nose behind. And here's the complete aircraft https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=an...YJzt9A93K5mohM: . It was inevitably regularly identified as an HS 748, though strictly the Andover was the HS 780, it had a few minor airframe mods, allowing parachutists to exit, etc, and was built only for the RAF. 37 were built. The VIP ones lasted a good long time in this service, built 1964 they were finally retired in the mid-1990s, being replaced by a couple of HS.125 executive jets. The basic Air Force ones lasted the same, although a good number were sold off to the Royal New Zealand Air Force in the mid-1970s.

I don't think we've done The Queen's Flight before, and I doubt any here have flown them. But you never know. Part of the RAF, the Andovers were based at RAF Benson, near Oxford, but ranged far and wide. For this trip a common arrangement applied. I did find a film of the Royal party leaving Heathrow for the USA, in a BOAC VC-10, while the Andover had been flown on in advance across the Atlantic, in a series of short hops, to pick up for the local journeys. It had all the navigation kit for over-ocean flights within its range. They got round the world, certainly several times to New Zealand and the onetime colonial Pacific islands. It was a fine appointment for an RAF officer to be assigned to, they normally stayed there until they retired.

The Royal Flight had started in the mid-1930s, with a De Havilland Dragon Rapide, and have always kept their red and black livery. Several members of the Royal Family were qualified on the Andover (and its predecessors) over time, the current Queen's husband, Prince Philip, was a longstanding pilot on the aircraft, while Prince Charles followed on likewise, and onto the BAe146 jet which succeeded it, until 1994 when he landed it well outside limits at Islay in Scotland, and it substantially overran the runway. The damage repair was £ several millions (swept under the carpet as RAF expense), and following some full and frank interviews with the various senior pilots he had flown with over time, it fell to the British Prime Minister of the day, and the head of the RAF, to tell him in a private meeting one day that his days of flying RAF aircraft were over.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=187927
Excellent information, as always. I would have thought The Queen's Flight would have operated the BAC One-Eleven at one point but now see they did not.

And back in November of 1965, Princess Margaret, who was the sister of HRH Queen Elizabeth II, and her husband Lord Snowden embarked upon a visit to the U.S. on board a BOAC VC-10 as WHBM has stated. Their main stops during their tour of the U.S. were New York City, Washington D.C., Los Angeles.....and Page, Arizona. While in Page, they took a boat tour of Lake Powell and stayed at the Lake Powell Hotel, which I think was the only hotel in Page at the time. I also believe this was the only time an aircraft operated by the Royal Air Force, being the Andover, landed at Page (PGA) which in 1965 was being commercially served by Bonanza Air Lines with the Fairchild F-27 (which the air carrier called the "Jet-Prop Silver Dart").

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 18, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
United 737.
Indeed it was....and I see someone else has responded with the complete routing.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
21. It's 1969 and time for a good, old fashioned milk run on the west coast of the U.S.! You are in Portland, Oregon, your destination is Los Angeles and your daily flight will make five stops en route from PDX to LAX. Identify the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment.

Another try.

United Airlines, Boeing 737-200, PDX - Salem - Eugene - San Francisco - Monterey Stockton - Fresno - Los Angeles.

Salem (SLM) used to have commercial air service years ago but not currently. It was in the news in 2017 when an Alaska Airlines 737 diverted to SLM. See Alaska flight diverted to SLE (Salem, OR) Post #19 says " Yep, back in the 60s and 70s, SLE was a regular stop on the UA "milk run" between SFO and PDX."

EDIT
Monterey crossed out because, while there used to be a lot of SFO-MRY service, MRY-FAT seems odd so I switch my answer to Stockton, which UA served from SFO.
21. Yep, that's the routing. The UA system timetable does not include all of the arrival or departure times for this flight at the smaller stations so I won't recreate it here. You can take a look at it in their April 27, 1969 timetable courtesy of timetableimages.com.

After United pulled out of Salem (SLE), Horizon Air soldiered on for awhile, primarily with the Swearingen Metro III, before they pulled out as well. Then SkyWest operating as the Delta Connection began operating CRJ200 service SLE-SLC. However, the traffic just wasn't there and this RJ service only lasted a short time.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 20, 2019 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Royal Coachman
6. Correct. An American Airlines print ad in 1965 listed seven attributes pertaining to its Royal Coachman service:

* Our entertainment holds you - or doesn't hold you - with Astrovision screens on transcontinental and other major routes
* Airplanes vs. Airplanes - all fan-jet powered fleet
* You won't be "bumped" because of overbooked flights
* Bring the children - family discounts apply most days of the week
* You don't have to bring money - pay with American Express and Diners' Club
* The dinner's a full dinner
* You don't have to stand in line - we take your bags at the curb
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have two guesses, one Mexican and one American so here goes the first...

Western Airlines, MEX - SAN - LAX, Boeing 720
4. Your first guess is correct as it was Western operating Mexico City - San Diego - Los Angeles. However, the equipment wasn't the Boeing 720 or the 720B. And I do not believe WA operated the Boeing 720 until they merged with Pacific Northern.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 20, 2019 at 11:18 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
4. Your first guess is correct as it was Western operating Mexico City - San Diego - Los Angeles. However, the equipment wasn't the Boeing 720 or 720B. And I do not believe WA operated the Boeing 720 until they merged with Pacific Northern.
Originally Posted by jrl767

4- well, you beat me to the airline and the routing, but as WA 720s were configured for both F and Y, the equipment was a Lockheed Electra

4. The Electra is correct. Here's the sched....

WA 790: Mexico City (MEX) 8:00a - 10:00a San Diego (SAN) 11:00a - 11:29a Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only
Equip: Electra II Jet-Prop
Service class: T
Meal service: Breakfast MEX-SAN

BTW, checking on the Western fleet at this time, the Boeing 720B fanjet was its only jet equipment (no 720 aircraft). And besides the Electra and 720B, WA was also operating the Douglas DC-6B at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 20, 2019 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. You've just arrived in Acapulco in 1966 following a lovely sail trip up the Pacific coast from Costa Rica. An evening flight to Los Angeles has been booked and you are in first class. This service operates four days a week and two stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

Hmm... First Class. Acapulco. Los Angeles. So we're talking either American or Western. American would route through Texas. I don't know what "evening" means here - it could be 5:00pm or as late as 8 or 9. Either way, the timing of routing through Texas seems more suited to an earlier departure. Let's go with Western operating a 720B. As to the route, I don't think WA served Guadalajara until later in its history, and the only other Mexican destination WA served back then was Mexico City. Outside of San Diego I can't see any other U.S. stops that make sense. I don't recall WA ever flying ACA-MEX, but I really don't see any other options here, so I think we're looking at ACA-MEX-SAN-LAX for the route, with a nice Fiesta Service meal being served in the forward cabin out of MEX.

11. It's the summer of 1967 and you are back in Chicago. Your old sailing buddy has asked you to check out a catamaran for sale that is moored near Mobile, Alabama down on the Gulf Coast. An evening flight from O'Hare to Mobile would best fit your schedule and you find there is a daily direct dinner flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.

Again, hmm... If it had been Midway I might've gone with Southern. Mobile was also served by United, National and Eastern. United's presence was via the Capital Airlines merger, so I think its service would've come out of CLE, PIT or NYC. National didn't serve Chicago, so that leaves Eastern. As to the routing - I haven't a clue. Let's cross our fingers and go with an Eastern 727-100 routing ORD-ATL-BHM-MOB

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
9. You've just arrived in Acapulco in 1966 following a lovely sail trip up the Pacific coast from Costa Rica. An evening flight to Los Angeles has been booked and you are in first class. This service operates four days a week and two stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

Hmm... First Class. Acapulco. Los Angeles. So we're talking either American or Western. American would route through Texas. I don't know what "evening" means here - it could be 5:00pm or as late as 8 or 9. Either way, the timing of routing through Texas seems more suited to an earlier departure. Let's go with Western operating a 720B. As to the route, I don't think WA served Guadalajara until later in its history, and the only other Mexican destination WA served back then was Mexico City. Outside of San Diego I can't see any other U.S. stops that make sense. I don't recall WA ever flying ACA-MEX, but I really don't see any other options here, so I think we're looking at ACA-MEX-SAN-LAX for the route, with a nice Fiesta Service meal being served in the forward cabin out of MEX.

11. It's the summer of 1967 and you are back in Chicago. Your old sailing buddy has asked you to check out a catamaran for sale that is moored near Mobile, Alabama down on the Gulf Coast. An evening flight from O'Hare to Mobile would best fit your schedule and you find there is a daily direct dinner flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.

Again, hmm... If it had been Midway I might've gone with Southern. Mobile was also served by United, National and Eastern. United's presence was via the Capital Airlines merger, so I think its service would've come out of CLE, PIT or NYC. National didn't serve Chicago, so that leaves Eastern. As to the routing - I haven't a clue. Let's cross our fingers and go with an Eastern 727-100 routing ORD-ATL-BHM-MOB
9. Western is correct! Here's the sched.....

WA 790: Acapulco (ACA) 7:15p - 7:58p Mexico City (MEX) 8:40p - 10:39p San Diego (SAN) 10:55p (est.) - 11:25p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only
Equip: Boeing 720B FANJET
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner MEX-SAN - Champagne Flight with Dinner and All-Luxury Service in First Class
Notes: No local or stopover traffic ACA-MEX; No boarding at San Diego on Flt. 790 - through traffic only

Western Airlines.....the Only Way to Fly!

11. The good news: it was indeed Eastern and the second stop was BHM. The not-so-good-news: ATL wasn't the first stop and the equipment wasn't a B727-100. Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Hmm... so it's not a 727 and it doesn't route via ATL. You know, you, like me, like to fly First Class when available. The fact that it wasn't mentioned as part of this question leads me to believe that we might be looking at an airplane that doesn't offer First Class. Now so far as I know, all of Eastern's jet aircraft with the possible exception of the WAS-NYC-BOS shuttle operations were configured in a mixed 2 class configuration. I know Eastern operated Electras into the early 1970s, though mostly on shorter routes like intra-Florida flights. Still, I can't think of any other options unless it was a DC-9. Still, let's go with the Electra. As for the stop between ORD and BHM, .... , uh... , what the heck - let's try Louisville, KY.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... so it's not a 727 and it doesn't route via ATL. You know, you, like me, likes to fly First Class when available. The fact that it wasn't mentioned as part of this question leads me to believe that we might be looking at an airplane that doesn't offer First Class. Now so far as I know, all of Eastern's jet aircraft with the possible exception of the WAS-NYC-BOS shuttle operations were configured in a mixed 2 class configuration. I know Eastern operated Electras into the early 1970s, though mostly on shorter routes like intra-Florida flights. Still, I can't think of any other options unless it was a DC-9. Still, let's go with the Electra. As for the stop between ORD and BHM, .... , uh... , what the heck - let's try Louisville, KY.
11. This Eastern flight was indeed operated with an Electra featuring two class service (A/T). However, it did not stop in Louisville. So you might want to look a bit further to the south.....
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

11. This Eastern flight was indeed operated with an Electra featuring two class service (A/T). However, it did not stop in Louisville. So you might want to look a bit further to the south.....
Southa Loovul, eh? Memphis is Delta country - at least out of Chicago, it is. How about Huntsville, AL? Eastern was always big on helping out those folks at NASA... Huntsville, it is. For now.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Southa Loovul, eh? Memphis is Delta country - at least out of Chicago, it is. How about Huntsville, AL? Eastern was always big on helping out those folks at NASA... Huntsville, it is. For now.
11. Huntsville being the first stop is correct! Here's the sched...

EA 665: Chicago O'hare (ORD) 6:30p - 8:14p Huntsville (HSV) 8:44p - 9:10p Birmingham (BHM) 9:35p - 10:24p Mobile (MOB)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Electra PROPJET
Service classes: A/T
Meal service: Dinner ORD-HSV

And speaking of NASA, at this same time in 1967, Eastern was operating service six days a week linking Huntsville with St. Louis, Seattle, Orlando and Melbourne (with the latter two destinations being identified in the EA system timetable as serving Cape Kennedy) which the airline stated was meant to link several aerospace centers in the U.S. Eastbound, the flight operated SEA-PDX-STL-HSV-MCO-MLB and westbound it operated MLB-MCO-HSV-STL-SEA with both flights being operated with B727-100 equipment. Eastern even had a name for this round trip flight: "The Space Corridor".
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm Reason: correction
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5. It's still 1964 and you are preparing to fly from Los Angeles nonstop to Chicago O'Hare on Continental. Alas, first class is sold out on the flight that fits your schedule....but the reservation agent then tells you the Boeing 707 you'll be flying on board offers three classes of service, so you won't have to travel in Economy class. What is the name of the class of service you will be in on this CO flight, what is the seating configuration in terms of the number of seats across in each row, and how many seats are there in this cabin? Seat config was 2-3 across and the name of service was Club Coach. Still looking for the total number of seats in the Club Coach cabin which was less than 40.
5. Time to clear the decks! The number of Club Coach seats was 25 with five rows in this cabin.

And folks, that will do it for me here on the OTAQ&D for the foreseeable future.

Wishing everyone the best and safe travels to all!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
5. Time to clear the decks! The number of Club Coach seats was 25 with five rows in this cabin.

And folks, that will do it for me here on the OTAQ&D for the foreseeable future.

Wishing everyone the best and safe travels to all!
Bon voyage!

I will be trying my hand at guest moderation with a mini-quiz. In formulating new questions, I found that they are not that easy to write questions. Here goes....

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 18, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
NEW QUIZ!

Due to the small number of questions, please answer no more than one per day so others may answer some.

1. This answer was given from the previous round

11. Huntsville being the second stop is correct! Here's the sched...

EA 665: Chicago O'hare (ORD) 6:30p - 8:14p Huntsville (HSV) 8:44p - 9:10p Birmingham (BHM) 9:35p - 10:24p Mobile (MOB)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Electra PROPJET
Service classes: A/T
Meal service: Dinner ORD-HSV

Fast forward to early 1992. You are again in Birmingham, Alabama in the late afternoon and head to the airport for an evening departure to Chicago O'Hare. How can you get there with a one stop (no change of plane) in Huntsville? In fact, through passengers are allowed to stay on the plane. Airline and aircraft, please.

The rest are back to the early 1980's...

2. You are in Belgium traveling to Paris for a flight when your car breaks down in Lille, France. It's late 1985. You must get to Milan in time, Linate LIN being more convenient and preferred than the ghost town airport of Malpensa MXP.

Who flies a middle of the day flight from Lille Lesquin (LIL) to Linate (LIN)? It's a one stop flight. Name the airline, intermediate stop, and aircraft. ANSWERED

3. It's September 1982 and your trip in Berlin has taken longer than expected so train or car travel is not feasible. What airline has multiple daily flights so you can pick a convenient time for a non-stop from Tegel (TXL) to Munich Riem (MUC) and what aircraft is used? ANSWERED

4. It is November 1985 and a family member wants to fly on a flight for the experience. To save money, they fly one way and relatives drive them back home. Which airline and aircraft can they fly from San Antonio, Texas (SAT) to Austin Robert Mueller (AUS - since closed and demolished) leaving in the middle of the day? ANSWERED

5. You are ticketed on Eastern Airlines Miami to Lima in October, 1984 (MIA-LIM-SCL). What aircraft will the flight be operating? (Answer will be given if correct answer not answered within 3 attempts.) ANSWERED

6. A rare multiple choice question.
All of the following are false, except
a. It is February 1984. TWA has service to Minneapolis MSP.
b. It is February 1984. PanAm has service to Salt Lake City on a JFK-MSP-SLC route.
c. It is February 1984. TriStar has service between LAX and SFO using 6 abreast seating on a BAe 146
d. It is February 1984. British Caledonian has LGW-Houston IAH service daily
e. It is February 1984. Alaska Airlines has SEA-LAS service
ANSWERED

7. It is February 1984. You are about to fly a TWA flight. What is the name of the frequent flyer program? How do you get credit for the flight. Hint: The wrong answer includes "you tell the travel agent your number when you buy the ticket". ANSWERED

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 22, 2019 at 9:11 pm Reason: question that have been answered are marked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.