FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:10 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I can't find a film on Youtube. But here they are https://mikesdamphotoblog.com/2018/0...rives-in-page/ , British minor royalty (that's a regular expression, by the way, for relatives) in Arizona, with the aircraft nose behind. And here's the complete aircraft https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=an...YJzt9A93K5mohM: . It was inevitably regularly identified as an HS 748, though strictly the Andover was the HS 780, it had a few minor airframe mods, allowing parachutists to exit, etc, and was built only for the RAF. 37 were built. The VIP ones lasted a good long time in this service, built 1964 they were finally retired in the mid-1990s, being replaced by a couple of HS.125 executive jets. The basic Air Force ones lasted the same, although a good number were sold off to the Royal New Zealand Air Force in the mid-1970s.

I don't think we've done The Queen's Flight before, and I doubt any here have flown them. But you never know. Part of the RAF, the Andovers were based at RAF Benson, near Oxford, but ranged far and wide. For this trip a common arrangement applied. I did find a film of the Royal party leaving Heathrow for the USA, in a BOAC VC-10, while the Andover had been flown on in advance across the Atlantic, in a series of short hops, to pick up for the local journeys. It had all the navigation kit for over-ocean flights within its range. They got round the world, certainly several times to New Zealand and the onetime colonial Pacific islands. It was a fine appointment for an RAF officer to be assigned to, they normally stayed there until they retired.

The Royal Flight had started in the mid-1930s, with a De Havilland Dragon Rapide, and have always kept their red and black livery. Several members of the Royal Family were qualified on the Andover (and its predecessors) over time, the current Queen's husband, Prince Philip, was a longstanding pilot on the aircraft, while Prince Charles followed on likewise, and onto the BAe146 jet which succeeded it, until 1994 when he landed it well outside limits at Islay in Scotland, and it substantially overran the runway. The damage repair was £ several millions (swept under the carpet as RAF expense), and following some full and frank interviews with the various senior pilots he had flown with over time, it fell to the British Prime Minister of the day, and the head of the RAF, to tell him in a private meeting one day that his days of flying RAF aircraft were over.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=187927
Excellent information, as always. I would have thought The Queen's Flight would have operated the BAC One-Eleven at one point but now see they did not.

And back in November of 1965, Princess Margaret, who was the sister of HRH Queen Elizabeth II, and her husband Lord Snowden embarked upon a visit to the U.S. on board a BOAC VC-10 as WHBM has stated. Their main stops during their tour of the U.S. were New York City, Washington D.C., Los Angeles.....and Page, Arizona. While in Page, they took a boat tour of Lake Powell and stayed at the Lake Powell Hotel, which I think was the only hotel in Page at the time. I also believe this was the only time an aircraft operated by the Royal Air Force, being the Andover, landed at Page (PGA) which in 1965 was being commercially served by Bonanza Air Lines with the Fairchild F-27 (which the air carrier called the "Jet-Prop Silver Dart").

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 18, 2019 at 10:55 am