FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:44 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. You've just arrived in Acapulco in 1966 following a lovely sail trip up the Pacific coast from Costa Rica. An evening flight to Los Angeles has been booked and you are in first class. This service operates four days a week and two stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

Hmm... First Class. Acapulco. Los Angeles. So we're talking either American or Western. American would route through Texas. I don't know what "evening" means here - it could be 5:00pm or as late as 8 or 9. Either way, the timing of routing through Texas seems more suited to an earlier departure. Let's go with Western operating a 720B. As to the route, I don't think WA served Guadalajara until later in its history, and the only other Mexican destination WA served back then was Mexico City. Outside of San Diego I can't see any other U.S. stops that make sense. I don't recall WA ever flying ACA-MEX, but I really don't see any other options here, so I think we're looking at ACA-MEX-SAN-LAX for the route, with a nice Fiesta Service meal being served in the forward cabin out of MEX.

11. It's the summer of 1967 and you are back in Chicago. Your old sailing buddy has asked you to check out a catamaran for sale that is moored near Mobile, Alabama down on the Gulf Coast. An evening flight from O'Hare to Mobile would best fit your schedule and you find there is a daily direct dinner flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.

Again, hmm... If it had been Midway I might've gone with Southern. Mobile was also served by United, National and Eastern. United's presence was via the Capital Airlines merger, so I think its service would've come out of CLE, PIT or NYC. National didn't serve Chicago, so that leaves Eastern. As to the routing - I haven't a clue. Let's cross our fingers and go with an Eastern 727-100 routing ORD-ATL-BHM-MOB

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2019 at 2:54 pm