FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:43 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
16. For reasons not germane to this quiz, we’ve decided to take a ride aboard Amtrak’s Sunset Limited between Palm Springs and Tucson, Arizona. Upon arrival in Tucson, we’ll enjoy a delicious breakfast burrito at Garcia’s across from the train station before relocating to the airport for this afternoon’s flight up to San Francisco. Two airlines offer nonstop service between TUS and SFO, but only one of the offers First Class service. You choose to buy a ticket in First Class aboard that flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying. Then, if you feel up to it, you could have a gander at what the other airline is and what type of aircraft it operates on the TUS-SFO route.

Well, of course, United comes to mind, what with their hub operation at SFO. However, I do not think it was UA at this time. So, instead, let's go with TWA operating a B727-200.

TWA is correct, but per the schedule I reference the aircraft was a 727-100.

And as for the other airline, it might have been Republic, say with a DC-9-30, or it may have been Pacific Southwest, perhaps with an MD-80....so I'll guess it was PSA.

Correct again! I remember flying aboard a PSA MD80 back in 1984. Wildly colorful interior though by then the hot pants worn by the flight attendants had become a tad more conservative!

Here are the remaining unanswered questions...

All questions are sourced from a 1982 Pocket Flight Guide

3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.

13. Three days of baking in Arizona’s extreme heat have you yearning for a hot cup of coffee on a cold rainy day in Washington’s Emerald City. While the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector. The airline is not WC or RC

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline. I N ..P L A Y QX F27 & WC 727 correct. Still looking for the other airline and aircraft

After this set of questions concludes, there'll be no more questions from me for awhile because in three days I will be departing on a 57000 mile jaunt around the US, visiting everywhere from my old school in New York to friends working in the Everglades to three concerts in Colorado to a dinner in San Antonio followed by a luncheon in Portland (all in the same weekend) to a week driving around the Desert Southwest including a visit to the George S. Patton Museum. Also included will be a 2400 mile train ride between Portland and Milwaukee (with sleeper accommodations) and a three day road trip up into Northern Wisconsin. Oh yeah, I'll also be sampling Amtrak's new Business Class service aboard the Coast Starlight on a round trip between Seattle and Portland. It'll be a busy six weeks.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 19, 2015 at 12:02 pm