FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:00 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
7. Returning by road to the greater New York metropolitan area, we now set our sights on a flight across the border to Montreal aboard one of the three foreign carriers that enjoy Fifth Freedom rights between New York-JFK and Montreal Mirabel. Identify each of these airlines and the equipment it operates between JFK and YMX.

JFK-YMX perhaps Aerolineas Argentinas, with a 747

Perhaps, indeed! In 1986 I flew aboard LV-OPA on a YMX-JFK-MIA flight that featured a full dinner service between New York and Miami (I'll have the pheasant, please...)

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline.

SEA-PDX, Wien also had a couple 727-100s

I believe these jets were initially delivered to Pan Am, and wore a couple other aiine liveries before coming to WC; two later went to the DC Air National Guard as C-22Bs and operated out of Andrews AFB until the C-40s (737-700 Boeing Business Jet variants) arrived ~2006

As for the third airline w all-coach service, I was going to offer another northern denizen called Markair with a 737-200, but I suspect you would have given partial credit for my AirCal guess ... so how about AeroAmerica with a smoky noisy straight-pipe Boeing 720 that had actually originated in HNL?

Wien 727-100 is correct. However, the info I have indicates that WC's 727-100s were ex-United machines leased from CO. There's no indication of what happened to them after CO divested itself of them. I actually flew upon N40481 in the service of CO.

As for Air Cal, I can't give partial credit if OC didn't even offer service on the SEA-PDX route. It may have later on but per the 1982 schedule I reference OC's service to PDX and SEA was out of RNO.

Alas, it was not AeroAmerica either. I remember seeing its 720s on the BFI-GEG schedules but unfortunately was never able to finagle a flight aboard one. My last flight aboard a 720 was aboard an Ecuatoriana bird in 1983.

I'll be in the DC area most of Oct, with the exception of a drive to Nashville the first weekend of Oct for a family reunion (although since most of my days will be 12+ hours of proposal prep, a beer break will be MOST welcome!)

Alas, the only time I'll be in Baltimore with sufficient time for a beer or two will be later this month. I'll have a number of long layovers through October in both Portland and Seattle however...