FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:38 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And speaking of Concorde, here's a bonus quiz item......
In early 1974, a Concorde was sent to an airport for cold weather testing for twelve days. The aircraft remained outside for several nights at this airfield in temperatures as low as minus 44 C. Identify this airport.

North America is considerably colder than Europe (Yerp ) in the winter - something to do with the proximity of the large landmass of far eastern Asia (Siberia) next door... I believe the warm waters of the Gulf Stream also influence continental European winters. I know that we've had some winter testing here in Fairbanks. I believe Boeing brought up the 787 for some mid-winter trials. jrl767 could probably elucidate a bit more on this. Still, I don't recall the Concorde being involved in any cold-weather testing here. Given its French manufacture, I wouldn't be surprised if the French looked to their good friends in Canada for a suitable location. I should imagine it would've been a sizable contingent that accompanied the aircraft for these tests, which would have necessitated somewhere with decent access, hotels, restaurants, etc. And of course it had to offer the potential for real cold. As such, the only places that would seem to fit the bill would be Yellowknife and Whitehorse. Whitehorse is the larger of the two, so let's go with that.

Ah, I see that this question has already been answered above. Well that's what happens when you start a response and then get sidetracked on other stuff for a bit. In any event, I see it wasn't YXY bout rather right here in my backyard. So, as to my wordy response, well, in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna - "Never Mind"

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 16, 2019 at 11:50 am