FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:39 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

7. I believe it actually wasn't a Hawker Siddeley 748, but a derivative of that type with some differences, and named differently And it would be VERY highly polished.

17. Boy, this could be anybody, as many of the major European carriers ran to South America stopping at Madrid. I'm guessing it's not Iberia or LAN, but someone stopping at Madrid on the way.

Let's go as a starter for British United, with their VC-10 which had taken over the route from BOAC Comet 4s a couple of years previously. In which case 5 intermediate stops would be Las Palmas, Rio, Sao Paolo, Montevideo and Buenos Aires. These flights ran twice-weekly, but alternated between Madrid and Lisbon, once a week at each. They crew changed twice, at Las Palmas and Sao Paolo, the crew dropped back three or four days each time, and were away from home for three weeks. At Las Palmas they used the same hotel as the "milk run" BUA One-Eleven which night stopped there on its once-weekly run to and from the west coast of Africa, and from the account of a nowadays grandfather, but then junior FO, when they coincided a good time was had by all ...

If it's not BUA, ignore all this bit.
7. I thought I might get into a spot of trouble concerning this one......and the airplane sure looks like an HS 748 on the film that was shot of the arrival event. So perhaps it's safe to say the aircraft in question was based on the HS 748. And I truly believe you are precisely on track with regard to the answer here.

17. Ignore WHBM?! Good Lord! Never in a thousand years, sir! And, of course, British United is correct! This flight also originated in London. And I stated five stops in error. It made actually four stops after departing from Madrid. Here's the complete sched.....

BR 661: London Gatwick (LGW) 21:05 - 23:00 Madrid (MAD) 23:45 - 01:20 Las Palmas (LPA) 02:20 - 07:05 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 08:05 - 10:45 Montevideo (MVD) 11:25 - 11:05 Buenos Aires (EZE) 11:55 - 13:50 Santiago (SCL)
Freq: Thursdays only
Equip: VC-10
Service classes: F/Y
Note: BR 661 also operated on Sundays with a routing of London Gatwick - Lisbon - Las Palmas - Rio de Janeiro - Sao Paulo - Buenos Aires - Santiago, departing LGW at 19:20 and arriving in SCL the next day at 13:50

And now to the lawn mower on a fairly chilly Sunday afternoon.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:47 am