Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Fares from SMF and SFO

All fares for dates checked from SMF are to high to be called a MR, flights from SFO have lower cpm cost!

SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF, all dates from SMF are higher than LAX and SFO departures.

Jan 27-30 $2428.50
Feb 3-6, Mar 3-6, 10-13 $1369.50 ai 5.58 cpm
Feb 10-13 $1303.50. 5.31 cpm
Feb 17-20 $1842.50
Feb 24-27 $1199.50. 4.89 cpm
Mar 3-6. $1369.50. 5.58 cpm
Mar 10-13 $1369.50

SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO. SFO departures
Jan 27-30 $1201.50 ai 4.75 cpm
Feb 3-6, 10-13, 17-24, Mar 3-6, 10-13 $1137.50. 4.49 cpm

Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Travels! Get your Flu shot! Cheers!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKbritt
I leave Thurs DCA-JFK-LAX-NRT-SIN and then SIN-NRT-JKF-DCA...got EC's and waiting on domestic to UP - oh and I bought a non-gel seat cushion for my butt
How is your MR? Did the cushion help? I wish that I had one! Did you explore the SIN airport? Let us know how your trip went. It is really fast to clear immigration at JFK with the kiosks to read your passport and then verification by the agent. Hopefully security wasn't long at NRT. Line for immigration in ATL was short, only one person ahead of me but it helps to be in the front of plane in EC. Hope you got your UG DCA JFK. Give us a report of your trip!

Happy Travels! Hope you had a great MR! Cheers!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:16 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Csfing1
How is your MR? Did the cushion help? I wish that I had one! Did you explore the SIN airport? Let us know how your trip went. It is really fast to clear immigration at JFK with the kiosks to read your passport and then verification by the agent. Hopefully security wasn't long at NRT. Line for immigration in ATL was short, only one person ahead of me but it helps to be in the front of plane in EC. Hope you got your UG DCA JFK. Give us a report of your trip!

Happy Travels! Hope you had a great MR! Cheers!
At SIN right now, waiting for my SIN-NRT flight..Got a nice UG DCA-JFK, and again JFK-LAX. It was cheaper for me to take the next day flight, that do a same day around. So ended up booking a 24hrs stop over in SIN anyway, to give myself a break..previously booked 12hrs at the transit hotel at Terminal 1. However, when I checked in online, Delta indicated that they were looking for volunteers, so I might see what they are offering.

The cushion really helped a lot, if perfectly fit in the back of my laptop bag.
I explored Term 1,2 and 3 pretty extensively. I'd avoid the sushi in the Green Market - awfully expensive and not good - . Almost,took the free city tours too, however, the lady at the booth was had me worried about not having my paper boarding tickets(Delta doesn't open until a few hours of departure) and she would not take my electronic boarding ticket on phone, and talked about having to do something special to clear immigration etc. I have had the experience of being stuck overseas before, it was not pleasant, and I do not want to repeat again, so I passed on that.

Overall, an easy MR - I will definitely be repeating this one - but earlier in the year. They are starting renovations on the deck pool in Term 1 on Dec 4th - thru Feb 2014, if anyone is doing this run at this time. Thanks for the tips about the kiosk at JFK, will definitely check that out.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for report, keep us updated on rest of journey!

At SIN right now, waiting for my SIN-NRT flight..Got a nice UG DCA-JFK, and again JFK-LAX. It was cheaper for me to take the next day flight, that do a same day around. So ended up booking a 24hrs stop over in SIN anyway, to give myself a break..previously booked 12hrs at the transit hotel at Terminal 1. However, when I checked in online, Delta indicated that they were looking for volunteers, so I might see what they are offering.

The cushion really helped a lot, if perfectly fit in the back of my laptop bag.
I explored Term 1,2 and 3 pretty extensively. I'd avoid the sushi in the Green Market - awfully expensive and not good - . Almost,took the free city tours too, however, the lady at the booth was had me worried about not having my paper boarding tickets(Delta doesn't open until a few hours of departure) and she would not take my electronic boarding ticket on phone, and talked about having to do something special to clear immigration etc. I have had the experience of being stuck overseas before, it was not pleasant, and I do not want to repeat again, so I passed on that.

Overall, an easy MR - I will definitely be repeating this one - but earlier in the year. They are starting renovations on the deck pool in Term 1 on Dec 4th - thru Feb 2014, if anyone is doing this run at this time. Thanks for the tips about the kiosk at JFK, will definitely check that out.
Thanks for your report, hopefully they will offer you something great like $$$ and or UG to business. Let us know. What did you think of the SC in SIN, for me, had better food choices than NRT plus showers. Looking forward to the rest of your report! Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:33 pm
Original Member

I wasn't impressed by NRT SC...I am sitting in SIN SC right now, and must say...very nice..

BTW, I was camped out at Transfer D waiting for Delta to open..I was the only person there for a while...about 1 min before they open, 5 MR's appeared from nowhere to get their boarding tickets...I don't think they were FT's folks, as they seem to be real coy about what they were doing..
I am not normally a chatty cathy, but just trying to make some light conversation, had my flyertalk tag with me and all but no bite...oh well..
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

I wasn't impressed by NRT SC...I am sitting in SIN SC right now, and must say...very nice..

BTW, I was camped out at Transfer D waiting for Delta to open..I was the only person there for a while...about 1 min before they open, 5 MR's appeared from nowhere to get their boarding tickets...I don't think they were FT's folks, as they seem to be real coy about what they were doing..
I am not normally a chatty cathy, but just trying to make some light conversation, had my flyertalk tag with me and all but no bite...oh well..
Thanks for your post, did you get interviewed by security before getting your boarding pass and how long did it take you to get your boarding pass? I didn't get there till 3:30 and had to wait 10+ min for her to take care of the person ahead! checking visas etc. She is aware of MR and the people at security likewise as I asked them if there were others who made MR. Looking forward to your next post! Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Agree that SC in SIN is better especially the food options with my preference for vegetarian, an assuming you must be home by now unless you got some nice options from DL in SIN, what what did they offer, would they give you an UG to BC and or $ and hotel? Had a friend and family leaving on NW they were compensated well to leave the next day. Don't remember the exact amount but the number $1000 seems correct, my wife says that was $250 each plus hotel and food. What was your net MQM. Hope you trip was great! We leave on Wed SMF LAX NRT SIN (wasn't able to route thru ATL on outbound for reasonable fare) but will be staying for work till Dec 15 and return SIN NRT ATL SMF. Awaiting your report. Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Thanks for your post, did you get interviewed by security before getting your boarding pass and how long did it take you to get your boarding pass? I didn't get there till 3:30 and had to wait 10+ min for her to take care of the person ahead! checking visas etc. She is aware of MR and the people at security likewise as I asked them if there were others who made MR. Looking forward to your next post! Happy Travels! Cheers!
I did get interviewed by security before getting the boarding pass, which at first I thought was strange. Anyway, he was a cheerful enough bloke and correct both himself and the counter person chuckled when I mentioned MR.
It appears that you are also not allowed to take Duty Free purchases with you?
I had not bought any, but they did ask whether any Duty Free items had been purchased several times.
I noticed that Delta were nice enough to call me on my cell, to let me know that the SIN-NRT would be leaving early. The lady in the SC could not tell me what gate though it would be leaving from. Before going to your gate, you will pass through an additional security screen checkpoint.

SIN-NRT had some noticeable turbulence. Arrival in NRT with just 60 mins connection time was a bit chaotic, it appears that several planes must have come in around the same time, so there some long lines at security. There was supposed to be an Sky Priority line, but it appears it was long and slow. Got to my gate in NRT just as it was boarding Sky Priority.
At JFK, using kiosk for US Passport/Customs is not optional..
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:34 pm

Had requested non dairy vegetarian meal as this UG was cleared 5 days before but was informed by FA that it was not available. Will check and see what happened as I have been told by FA to make that request if you have at least 24 hrs till departure.
I have had good experience with Asian vegetarian meal, you may want to try that next time. I am not sure if it was dairy or non-dairy though, if that's important to you.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Agree that SC in SIN is better especially the food options with my preference for vegetarian, an assuming you must be home by now unless you got some nice options from DL in SIN, what what did they offer, would they give you an UG to BC and or $ and hotel? Had a friend and family leaving on NW they were compensated well to leave the next day. Don't remember the exact amount but the number $1000 seems correct, my wife says that was $250 each plus hotel and food. What was your net MQM. Hope you trip was great! We leave on Wed SMF LAX NRT SIN (wasn't able to route thru ATL on outbound for reasonable fare) but will be staying for work till Dec 15 and return SIN NRT ATL SMF. Awaiting your report. Happy Travels! Cheers!
By the time I boarded, they were not asking again so I didn't pursue...plus I have to leave for another trip in 3 days once I am stateside again
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

I did get interviewed by security before getting the boarding pass, which at first I thought was strange. Anyway, he was a cheerful enough bloke and correct both himself and the counter person chuckled when I mentioned MR.
It appears that you are also not allowed to take Duty Free purchases with you?
I had not bought any, but they did ask whether any Duty Free items had been purchased several times.
I noticed that Delta were nice enough to call me on my cell, to let me know that the SIN-NRT would be leaving early. The lady in the SC could not tell me what gate though it would be leaving from. Before going to your gate, you will pass through an additional security screen checkpoint.

SIN-NRT had some noticeable turbulence. Arrival in NRT with just 60 mins connection time was a bit chaotic, it appears that several planes must have come in around the same time, so there some long lines at security. There was supposed to be an Sky Priority line, but it appears it was long and slow. Got to my gate in NRT just as it was boarding Sky Priority.
At JFK, using kiosk for US Passport/Customs is not optional..
My experience in NRT was similar connecting to JFK, though lines at security were not long for that transfer but were on transfer to ATL several weeks later. When I go thru security in NRT I pick whichever line is shorter, on connection to ATL had more time and was able to go to SC and even had time to walk around airport to one of other terminals to get my exercise. Really appreciate you taking the time to post your report on your trip. Hope your next trip is not as long as this one was. How many MQM did you end up with? Should be close to 25,000 MQM. Did it take much time at JFK for US Passport clearance? Have seen a few comments where after you have been thru kiosk, if there aren't enough personnel to verify your form it can back up but when I went through they had multiple agents so there was no back up. SIN is very fast but MNL is terribly slow 30-45 min or more in Jan. Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:45 pm

How tight was your SIN-NRT connection from LAX? I'm doing the same route with only a 30min connection time.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michael_v
I have had good experience with Asian vegetarian meal, you may want to try that next time. I am not sure if it was dairy or non-dairy though, if that's important to you.
Thanks for your comment, that is usually what I request although on the mid flight snack there is often cheese which is easy to remove unless they were nice and heated the sandwich. Hope you take the opportunity to make a MR to SIN if you haven't already made one. Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
How tight was your SIN-NRT connection from LAX? I'm doing the same route with only a 30min connection time.
That has never been a problem but you may not have much time in the SC, sometimes my wife asks me why bother going but I usually do unless the time is really short. Have never missed a plane in NRT because of short transfer times although if plane is delayed significantly it could be a problem but if it is close they usually help expedite clearance thru security as they don't want you to miss your next flight!

Going out on Wed SMF LAX NRT SIN, if you are on that flight let me know. Don't have a lot of time to transfer from T5 to T6, will see what happens. A few weeks ago had the reverse from T6 to T5 and only 45 min and my wife needs a wheel chair for that distance but DL was ahead of the game and as we exited the plans a CSR was there waiting for us with my name on a sign and we were transferred in a Porsche Cayenne SUV along with two others who were heading for SYD. KUDOES to DL and they thanked us for our business and we thanked them got taking good care of us!

Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if I have read upthread correctly, this is your third SMF-SIN run in less than a month? when are you coming back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.