FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:14 pm
Csfing1

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM

Here is a report from one of my MRer friends who spent a few days in SIN. It is worth a visit! I have edited message.

I took a very short trip just to the airport a couple of years ago or so and never saw the city of course. (A MR)

This trip was sensational. I did so many things, went so many places, ate so much street food and did so much "normal" average sightseeing, it made my whole trip absolutely wonderfully busy. I was up well before sunrise and went to sleep after midnight every night. I obtained a three day tourist pass, which enabled me to take the MRT anywhere, and take the buses anywhere.
I thought the MRT would be my main route of travel, but the bus system turned out to be the great surprise of the trip. I learned all the bus routes and it was so easy for me to jump on, jump off with my pass that I got to places a whole lot faster by bus then I would have, by going up and down the escalators on MRT.

Even the bus drivers got to know me!

I would take my very long at nightly power walk/run in no particular direction and end up very far from my hotel, only to see a bus pass, recognize its number, remember it's route, and end up home in five minutes or so. How about that!

I went everywhere. I discovered that there are high-rises every 10 feet. I would love to know what those high-rises look like inside. I suspect they're pretty small but some of those buildings were so glitzy and beautiful I would love to know what's inside and maybe if I return, I'll get a small rental for a couple of days.

I went to every park there is in all of Singapore, even the small city parks. I saw every nature reserve there is. I discovered every Hawker stall there is. And I discovered every side street in all of Little India, Chinatown, a million neighborhoods and throughout downtown Singapore. I even walked through crocodile-rich Mangrove swamps, on the northern border of Singapore and Malaysia.

I bought saffron and trinkets and made close friends delirious with happiness on my return.

The Asian mix was fantastic the mix with Indians and very few European Caucasians was remarkable.

I especially enjoyed intelligent conversation with the man on the street or practically anywhere I went. The level of education was extremely high and obvious.

I stayed exactly the right number of days before I felt it was time to go home. I ran myself ragged on busy days and kicked back a wee bit on days I wanted to power down a bit.

It was incredibly easy to make friends among tours and among people who lived in Singapore or who were transferred to Singapore.

One of my greatest adventures was to go to a hawker stall and pick the longest line. I had no idea what they were serving in front of that line but the locals knew what was good and what wasn't. I would have exactly what the fella before me had by pointing at his food and that's what they would give me with a big smile and maybe a little extra large portion of considering my size. Whatever I ate, it was delicious.
Boy! They were some wonderful flavors that I have never experienced in my wide worldly travels.
However when I would tire of the street food, the restaurants were fabulous. Everything from McDonald's to Popeyes was there although I didn't go there. I would usually go to the Asian food restaurants and have what the people next to me were eating by pointing. Actually I didn't have to point very much I would ask people what they were eating and speaking perfect English said what it was and offered to order it from the waiter.

All in all I had a wonderful time. I would look for any reason or excuse to return to Singapore.

It is not a bad idea to take the trip in two days as I did on the outbound and then one day on the return.

In any case I wanted to share with you my trip report and let you know that I am in love with Singapore. Best wishes,

SIN is waiting for you!
Happy Travels! Blessings!