Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman

All, been scanning the forum for some tips on what to do and see in my upcoming trip to Singapore. I am heading there for just over a day as part of a mileage run, landing early in the morning on a Monday and departing the following day at noon. I've been to Singapore on business but did not have the opportunity to be a tourist or enjoy nightlife or even local life.

Would greatly appreciate input and recommendations on what to see and where to stay for this trip.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: most of them
Lots of online guides like Timeout or the official tourist office which also has an app. Those can help you with what to do. Also lots plenty of threads here. The Smart Local is also a Singapore based site with ideas. Without knowing what you like to do it's hard to really say. I liked the Asian Civilisations museum and the Singapore National Museum. But if you're not into history museums then probably not for you. I think going down to Marina Bay for the evening laser show spectacle worth doing. Gardens by the Bay is probably the other major attraction.

Hotel/where to stay will depend on your budget and what you want to do. There are about a billion hotels in Singapore. I recently settled on the Park Hotel Farrer Park for my upcoming stay. Location is right on top of the Farrer Park MRT. On past trips I've stayed at the Intercontinental Bugis on points and liked it well enough and the Parkroyal on Pickering which was OK but probably not worth the expense. I'd say staying close to MRT is a good idea for getting around.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by jisaac
Would greatly appreciate input and recommendations on what to see and where to stay for this trip.
What do you like to do? Eat (cheap or expensive)? Outdoors (hot and humid is the forecast)? Shopping? History? Sleep (cheap or luxury)?

Singapore is a great place to visit, but what kinds of things do you like (and not like) to do?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:09 am

Well, there are lot of things to do in Singapore. Just recently red in news that the city is recognized with 2nd best tourist attraction in the Pacific Asia.
https://thingstodoinsingaporesite.wo...ture-many-more
This will help you!
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Again, questions come with your preferences, but here is the list you can do (assuming that you have only carry on and it is not heavy):

- Buy an MRT/Bus card (Ezlink/NETS FlashPay) at Changi MRT station (will cost you $12), add another $10 on top and take train to the Raffles place
- Walk around the area, if it is still before 10AM, go at Singapore River Cruise booth/boxes and ask them to call you River Taxi (important) to take you at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel. Pay with your MRT card - it will cost your $5.
- Get out there and walk your way back to Raffles Place, walk around Marina Bay, take photos at Merlion, cross the SG50 bridge, walk around Esplanade, then via Helix Bridge to Shopper By The Bay, get in, use escalator to the very top level which goes outside, walk there and use connected bride to MBS, cross and go to Gardens By The Bay
- Got to both Cloud Forest and Flower Dome at Gardens, it will cost you $28 for both. Get out, walk to Marina Barrage, go to the roof, take photos.
- Slowly walk back to MBS, go to MRT, take Downtown Line, get out at Chinatown Station.
- Walk around Chinatown - Pagoda and Mosque streets, buy Singapore Food magnets (3 for $10) at shops at Pagoda st near exit A - they make perfect souvenirs and memories.
- Walk towards Buddha tooth Temple, get inside and see it. Cross the street and have late lunch at Maxwell Food Centre. If you see line - get in, usually it is the indication that food is good.
- Go and see Singapore City Gallery which is at URA centre next to Maxwell food court, make sure that you go there before 4:30PM - they close at 5PM.
- Walk on Neil st towards Cantonment Rd, turn on Cantonment Rd, got to block 1G of Pinnacles Duxton, pay $5 and use your MRT card to get on 50th floor of the building. If it is already around 6PM - wait and watch sunset from there.
- Go down, get a taxi and go to Fullerton Bay Hotel. Go to roof on 7th floor, order coffee with small snack (warning - coffee and snack will cost you $30 or more) and watch the light show from there.
- Get out from there before 8:20, walk back to Gardens, go to Supertree Grove, lay on grass and watch/listen Garden Rhapsody at 8:45PM.
- After all this, if you still are alive and functioning, walk to Esplanade, get beer/drink from Gluttons Hawker center, set at waterfront and enjoy the evening.
- Go to your hotel and sleep. Make sure you don't miss your flight next day.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 16, 2017 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Again, questions come with your preferences, but here is the list you can do (assuming that you have only carry on and it is not heavy):

- Buy an MRT/Bus card (Ezlink/NETS FlashPay) at Changi MRT station (will cost you $12), add another $10 on top and take train to the Raffles place
- Walk around the area, if it is still before 10AM, go at Singapore River Cruise booth/boxes and ask them to call you River Taxi (important) to take you at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel. Pay with your MRT card - it will cost your $5.
- Get out there and walk your way back to Raffles Place, walk around Marina Bay, take photos at Merlion, cross the SG50 bridge, walk around Esplanade, then via Helix Bridge to Shopper By The Bay, get in, use escalator to the very top level which goes outside, walk there and use connected bride to MBS, cross and go to Gardens By The Bay
- Got to both Cloud Forest and Flower Dome at Gardens, it will cost you $28 for both. Get out, walk to Marina Barrage, go to the roof, take photos.
- Slowly walk back to MBS, go to MRT, take Downtown Line, get out at Chinatown Station.
- Walk around Chinatown - Pagoda and Mosque streets, buy Singapore Food magnets (3 for $10) at shops at Pagoda st near exit A - they make perfect souvenirs and memories.
- Walk towards Buddha tooth Temple, get inside and see it. Cross the street and have late lunch at Maxwell Food Centre. If you see line - get in, usually it is the indication that food is good.
- Go and see Singapore City Gallery which is at URA centre next to Maxwell food court, make sure that you go there before 4:30PM - they close at 5PM.
- Walk on Neil st towards Cantonment Rd, turn on Cantonment Rd, got to block 1G of Pinnacles Duxton, pay $5 and use your MRT card to get on 50th floor of the building. If it is already around 6PM - wait and watch sunset from there.
- Go down, get a taxi and go to Fullerton Bay Hotel. Go to roof on 7th floor, order coffee with small snack (warning - coffee and snack will cost you $30 or more) and watch the light show from there.
- Get out from there before 8:20, walk back to Gardens, go to Supertree Grove, lay on grass and watch/listen Garden Rhapsody at 8:45PM.
- After all this, if you still are alive and functioning, walk to Esplanade, get beer/drink from Gluttons Hawker center, set at waterfront and enjoy the evening.
​​​​​​I was going to write a post, but I can't beat this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

@invisible

AWESOME post!
jisaac likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I love Mosque Street area too. The food is delicious and cheap!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
If you can refund the card deposit, purchasing a Singapore Tourist Card at Changi might be "cost effective".

Other than that I will "try out" the previous recommendations in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the post.

No wandering
Fred
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: Plat AA; UA Gold; Virtuoso Advisor; Marriott Stars; Hyatt Privr; Fairmont
So now all I need is energy- thanks for this post! I have 24 hrs to burn in Singapore next month.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:44 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Great suggestion, but even better is the rooftop bar at the Fullerton hotel across the street, which is by the former lighthouse on top of the roof and has not only a great bartender but a cigar bar and superb view of MBS. Rather hidden bar (you have to take 2 elevators and then walk up a flight of catwalk stairs to reach it, but worth the effort).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: most of them
there's also a deck at the Esplanade Theatre with nice views of Marina Bay. I believe there's a small restaurant or bar up there as well. Just keep taking the escalators up until you can't go any farther
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by glennaa11
there's also a deck at the Esplanade Theatre with nice views of Marina Bay. I believe there's a small restaurant or bar up there as well. Just keep taking the escalators up until you can't go any farther
It is called Library Cafe and it is on 3rd floor.
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended

This is awesome. I've been to Spore many times and have no trouble finding places or things to do by myself, however, I will do this the next time I go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.