Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Csfing1
LAX ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX 24,248 MQM

$759 ai 3.13 cpm Jan 23-26, 30-Feb 2, 6-9, May 1-4
$764 ai 3.15 cpm Feb 20-23, 27-Mar 2, 20-23, May 15-18
$769 ai 3.17 cpm Apr 17-21 BEST FARES - GREAT PRICES

$836 ai 3.45 cpm Mar 13-15, Apr 3-6, May 8-11
$913 ai 3.77 cpm Mar 6-9, Apt 10-13

Dates not given higher prices. Prices from Google.com/flights
Get your MR early, don't wait to the end of the year. Please post lower prices and those of you who have made or are making runs, please post reports.

A Very Merry Christmas to all readers and MRers. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends. Get your Flu shot! Blessings to all!!!!
A small but important clarification on these fares - DL is now inserting E class fares on this routing, which is what most of the lowest fares above are.

V class fares are running about $50 higher. I am quite certain that C+ or GUC to J are worth $50 and not getting assigned a middle seat in row 56 at the 24-hour check-in window...

Just be careful to watch what you are ticketing.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
A small but important clarification on these fares - DL is now inserting E class fares on this routing, which is what most of the lowest fares above are.

V class fares are running about $50 higher. I am quite certain that C+ or GUC to J are worth $50 and not getting assigned a middle seat in row 56 at the 24-hour check-in window...

Just be careful to watch what you are ticketing.
Good call-out -- added a note to the wiki along with relevant ITA codes to exclude E from the search if desired.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 5MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Doing an MR to SIN in March and staying 2 days to enjoy the city. I'm flying with a buddy so trying to stay on a 747 or 767 so we can get a row of 2 versus a 3 seater on the 777. The 777 would save us a lot of time but just hate to have someone in the middle or one of us in the middle.

Any experience with using GUC and which route has the best UG %, right now looking via DTW or SEA and return possibly via PDX. We're both DM and using GUC.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
A Very Merry Christmas to all MRers, Readers and Posters

It is my wish for each of you and your friends, family and loved ones that you have a very special day wherever you are and may all your MR be fun and may you get many MQMs at the lowest cpm and may all of you get your UG to J and may you earn many bump certificates so that you can use them to pay for your MR. From all 19 of us to all of you - you are very special, thank you for reading posting and commenting on this thread!
Clarence, May, 4 sons, 1 daughter and their 4 spouses and 9 wonderful grandchildren!

If if you want to see something special and helps explain why SIN is our favorite MR and why we go there many times especially in Dec - view the link which tells about the Dec 2014 program and the extraordinary story of Alvin who is still alive and well 2 years after being diagnosed with terminal cancer, thanks to a very wonderful God's healing and restoring power!

https://archive.org/details/Adventis...32016ANewStart

Newstart in Singapore Dec 2014

Happy Travels, a Very Merry Christmas and His love and ours to all of you and a very special day! Blessings to all!

Last edited by Csfing1; Dec 25, 2016 at 12:00 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Happy holidays everyone!

Since I've now qualified for Diamond, I have access to GUC's. This is a first for me, but I'm doing a Singapore trip in March and thinking of trying to use a couple. I already know that there is currently no availability on the dates I've booked. Is there a particular strategy you've used for these? I could ask in the Delta forum but I'm particularly interested in using them on this route. And I'm hoping those here can share some insight.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nichelle
Happy holidays everyone!

Since I've now qualified for Diamond, I have access to GUC's. This is a first for me, but I'm doing a Singapore trip in March and thinking of trying to use a couple. I already know that there is currently no availability on the dates I've booked. Is there a particular strategy you've used for these? I could ask in the Delta forum but I'm particularly interested in using them on this route. And I'm hoping those here can share some insight.

If there's no availability on the dates you can travel then there's not much strategy other than to waitlist and hope :-/

Assuming you are going US-NRT-SIN the usual practice regarding RUCs/GUCs applies -- ask the agent to waitlist only the segments you "care" about and then extend the request once one of those segments clears in a particular direction.

The conventional wisdom seems to be to waitlist only US-NRT/NRT-US, saving NRT<->SIN until the longer segment clears. The tradeoff is that if OP opens up on the SIN segment but not yet on the TPAC segment then you could theoretically miss out.

For me, a 7-8hr international segment that isn't otherwise upgradeable is "enough" and I went ahead and waitlisted all 4 international segments for my January trip. So far I have cleared NRT-SIN, NRT-DTW, DTW-SFO, DTW-NRT in that order and waitlisted on SFO-DTW outbound and SIN-NRT on the return.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by Zorak
If there's no availability on the dates you can travel then there's not much strategy other than to waitlist and hope :-/

Assuming you are going US-NRT-SIN the usual practice regarding RUCs/GUCs applies -- ask the agent to waitlist only the segments you "care" about and then extend the request once one of those segments clears in a particular direction.

The conventional wisdom seems to be to waitlist only US-NRT/NRT-US, saving NRT<->SIN until the longer segment clears. The tradeoff is that if OP opens up on the SIN segment but not yet on the TPAC segment then you could theoretically miss out.

For me, a 7-8hr international segment that isn't otherwise upgradeable is "enough" and I went ahead and waitlisted all 4 international segments for my January trip. So far I have cleared NRT-SIN, NRT-DTW, DTW-SFO, DTW-NRT in that order and waitlisted on SFO-DTW outbound and SIN-NRT on the return.
Thanks for responding I would have played around with the dates, but I'm locked in due to schedules and a birthday (mine). I tend to agree that getting upgraded on a 7 to 8 hour flight seems worth it. It looks like you've had some pretty good luck since you've cleared 4 segments already.

I haven't yet been placed on the waitlist. I've been following the advice of others and not selecting the GUC's as a choice benefit until I'm sure I'm going to use them. I think I'll go ahead, make the selection, get on the waitlist and keep my fingers crossed!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Thanks for responding I would have played around with the dates, but I'm locked in due to schedules and a birthday (mine). I tend to agree that getting upgraded on a 7 to 8 hour flight seems worth it. It looks like you've had some pretty good luck since you've cleared 4 segments already.

I haven't yet been placed on the waitlist. I've been following the advice of others and not selecting the GUC's as a choice benefit until I'm sure I'm going to use them. I think I'll go ahead, make the selection, get on the waitlist and keep my fingers crossed!
That is really the best way to do it. Though I'd also call Delta and ask them to tell you how the flights look, they may not give you the exact number of seats open but they can usually give you an idea how likely it is you will clear. Only 1 of my GUCs cleared about a week in advance of my trip, the others did at the airport just prior to departure.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Happy holidays everyone!

1) You must use 1 GUC per fare component / direction. So, one GUC US->SIN and then another GUC SIN->US.

2) Don't waitlist the entire direction at a time, waitlist the preferred segment first. Example: Assume your routing is MSP-SEA-NRT-SIN, and return. If you waitlist the entire direction, if any segment in that direction clears, the GUC is considered "used". This would be a bummer if MSP-SEA cleared, and nothing else cleared. So, pick a particular segment, for example SEA-NRT, and waitlist that first. Then, once that segment clears, the same "used" GUC can be extended to cover non-cleared segments in the same direction, so adding MSP-SEA and NRT-SIN would be the thing to do at that point.

3) Do the same on the return. Waitlist the long segment first, and then extend the same GUC to cover other segments once the first segment clears.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:58 pm

Thanks for the additional responses and advice. The person I spoke with today said she couldn't tell much regarding likelihood of clearing. The trip is more than 2 months out so I'm sure things could change.

I wait-listed the longest legs in each direction only (DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW). I'll monitor and hope that I'm lucky and they clear early.

Here's to rolling the dice!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:03 pm

15-18 Jan SFO-ATL-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-SLC-SFO

Back in mid Sep booked another SIN MR (6hr quick turn) for Jan 2017, looking for another 747 experience (and hopefully UD with GUC). Priced out for $700, but had a 200 credit so that was not too bad.

Few days later applied the GUC's on DTW-NRT and NRT-DTW legs only.
On 24 Oct, cleared the NRT-DTW flight (18 Jan) and applied to the rest of the return legs to include SIN-NRT & the US legs. On 14 Dec, the SIN-NRT leg (18 Jan) also cleared. But still no luck in DTW-SIN, even though around this time there was ~30 or so seats available. I called just before xmas to see if the GUC was applied to the DTW-NRT leg correctly (it looked like it should in the bits of the website we can see but thought I would ask anyway.) DM Desk said all looked good. Did say that if I wanted I could apply to the NRT-SIN leg, but I wanted to hold off, just in case for some reason didn't clear DTW-NRT. And looked like still was going to be plenty of seats anyway on the NRT-SIN trip. So I held off.

Been checking every couple days since mid Dec and thought I should look this morning and sure enough, the "Second" seating map (the one that shows you can't select seats, but shows you D1 seats) removed the banner on top that shows that you "Can't select seats". I knew from previous experience that this likely meant it was opened but was not able to take a seat until calling. I think this is because RevMgt released the availability, but its not been preticketed (sometimes that takes a day or so) So I called and sure enough. Was able to get that taken care of and DM Desk then saw I could apply the GUC to the NRT-SIN leg still.

So at this point all legs are upgraded with exception of the SFO-ATL flight (on the 15th) which I think will hopefully clear soon (its on 330 with 16 seats still available 18 days out) So fingers crossed on that one. Also still waitlisted for DTW-SLC (320 w/ 10 open seats) so hopefully if nothing else the GUC will win if it goes down to boarding gate duel.

If anyone is on a MR run around these times, message me, would be interested to hear your experiences. Happy New Year all!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Smile UG to J with and without GUC

What other posters have said is very important as you want to apply GUC to longest TP parts of journey and once those are approved than try for NRT SIN portion. Keep checking how many seats are avail in J as this determines likelihood for getting UG, many seats open - good chance, few seats open decreased opportunities. It is possible to get UG without using GUC if Y is oversold (no seats avail in Y) and seats open in J as happened to us on our return SIN NRT Dec 12 - we both got UG for SIN NRT leg and also access to DNATA lounge. If you are doing out and back and get UG NRT SIN take the boarding pass for that leg and go to the lounge and they will let you in as you will only get in if you if you are in J. Much higher freq of UG on NW than with DL without GUC but that is just the way it is.

Happy Travels and Happy New Year to all. Please get your Flu shot! Those of you on MR please post reports and if anyone gets lower fares, please post fares. Have a great day and Blessings!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:25 am

Thanks. The people in this thread are the most helpful on FT!

rizrizriz, I hope I have similar luck. Congrats on your upgrades.

Csfing1, I checked the seat maps (which I know are not 100% reliable) and they look pretty open. The DTW to NRT flight only has 2 seats occupied in Delta One between the upper and lower deck. And the main cabin looks really open (only 25 total seats occupied in the rear of the cabin). The NRT to DTW leg has less availability but still looks pretty good. I'm just over 60 days out and know things will change. But hopefully this is a good sign.

My entire itinerary is:

SAN-JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-SAN (Found a good price out of SAN - so besides the time in SIN, I'll have a few days in San Diego before returning home to MSP)

Thanks for the recommendation of the DNATA lounge. I have Priority Pass and visited that lounge in November. It was great and I'll definitely be visiting again.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Hoping at some point in 2017 we see these same prices and I will be jumping on this again.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:36 pm

Happy New Year all. Is it just me or have others noted while Matrix may show availability for a flights, if you try to get Kayak get them, it won't present them. Seems like some changes have been going on to maybe limit the effectiveness of this multi city run using Kayak/Delta
Been a few months since I looked into these, but others seeing this too? Been seeing the fare updates, but are those from ITA or they actually (click thru) bookable on some site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.