Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by hurnik

Is anyone aware of any studies (other than antibody titres) of people who had COVID (PCR confirmed) and haven't been vaccinated from say, March of 2020? I mean I'd think we'd be able to tell at this point if the "natural" immunity is 12 month at this point (which would certainly be longer than the vaccines so far?)
how to tell whether the "natural" immunity lasted 12 months or the "naturally immued" has been re-infected?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
This kind of addresses the question in the post above (although it wasn't meant to).

I wish someone would explain to me what is happening in various states in India. The first three states had the lowest seropositivity rates in late July (in the 45-50% range).

The two below, among the highest with well over 70%. They also seem representative of much of the rest of the country with similarly high seropositivity rates:

And they are testing. Not UK levels, buy Uttar Pradesh does something like 200-300k daily, or about 0.1% of the population, with a positivity rate of less than 0.01%. Past underreporting and the awful human toll to get to this point aside, don't these graphs support the natural immunity proponents' claims?

India's huge wave was only a few months ago but I suspect a large percentage of those who had covid contracted it earlier in the pandemic, quite possibly more than a year ago. Maybe it got boosted due to exposure this summer. But if their natural immunity waned as quickly as that of vaccines, surely we wouldn't be seeing a perfectly flat line for the past 4 - FOUR! - months. Herd immunity?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
how to tell whether the "natural" immunity lasted 12 months or the "naturally immued" has been re-infected?
How so?
PCR tests (unless you were asymptomatic and never got tested), I'd think enough people have to be tested weekly/whatever for work reasons, etc. I think globally it would be possible (although not necessarily easy). Obviously before vaccines, we know that there were some cases of reinfection (although I believe the news reports at the time were that it was a rare event). So obviously we know how to quantify that (else how would they know if you got it again?)

And same could be said for vaccinated people. Did they get infected after? (Yes, we know this, but again, some would probably be asymptomatic and caught due to mandatory testing, or symptomatic so they'd get a test).
Old Oct 8, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
And they are testing. Not UK levels, buy Uttar Pradesh does something like 200-300k daily, or about 0.1% of the population, with a positivity rate of less than 0.01%. Past underreporting and the awful human toll to get to this point aside, don't these graphs support the natural immunity proponents' claims?

India's huge wave was only a few months ago but I suspect a large percentage of those who had covid contracted it earlier in the pandemic, quite possibly more than a year ago. Maybe it got boosted due to exposure this summer. But if their natural immunity waned as quickly as that of vaccines, surely we wouldn't be seeing a perfectly flat line for the past 4 - FOUR! - months. Herd immunity?
Isn't Uttar Pradesh the state that is distributing Ivermectin and zinc?
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:14 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by hurnik
So one of the "hot topics" in other areas/forums that I'm on (or read in the news) is that:
"We don't know how long/durable natural immunity lasts for COVID".
We seem to "know" how durable vaccine immunity is for (6 months?)

Is anyone aware of any studies (other than antibody titres) of people who had COVID (PCR confirmed) and haven't been vaccinated from say, March of 2020? I mean I'd think we'd be able to tell at this point if the "natural" immunity is 12 month at this point (which would certainly be longer than the vaccines so far?)

But I don't know how easy it would be to find all those people given the push for vaccines (although perhaps in countries/areas with lower percentage of vaccinated individuals)?
There's no reason antibodies in people with naturally immune people would last longer than antibodies in vaccinated people. The blood stream isn't going to keep antibodies around forever.

Maybe people who have severe covid had a stronger immune response so their bodies generated more antibodies, just like Moderna had triple the dose of Pfizer, resulting in more antibodies.

But Moderna response will also wane, just later than Pfizer and naturally immune people will also see their antibodies fade.

Bigger problem is that antibody response in unvaccinated people is highly variable and non-specific.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:15 pm
exp
Suspended

Anti-vaccine contingent are increasingly touting the superior benefits of natural immunity over vaccine-induced immunity. The often touted claim is something like "I had covid, which gives me better immunity than vaccines."

They cite some studies which seem to support their claim. But the studies are mixed at best.

It's a reasonable question, and there is legitimate scientific debate about it. There are also different approaches to the issue in terms of public health policy. In Israel, for example, people who have recovered from COVID-19 after testing positive on a PCR test can get a vaccination "Green Pass" that's valid for up to six months. The pass allows them entry into various places just as it does for people who are fully vaccinated. In the European Union, some member states offer a similar "Digital COVID Certificate" to people who have recovered from COVID-19 and received just one dose of a two-dose mRNA vaccine regimen.

In the US, however, public health officials are unequivocal in their approach: people are categorized as either vaccinated or unvaccinated, regardless of prior infection. It's an approach with many strengths, including robust scientific data supporting vaccination for people who have recovered. That data—which we'll get into below—has consistently shown that immune responses from natural infections are extremely variable, thus unreliable. Vaccines, on the other hand, have repeatedly been proven to generate highly protective immune responses.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...covid-19-shot/

What is clear is that vaccinated people have higher levels of spike-specific antibodies while people with natural immunity may have higher proportion of non-specific antibodies.

A fundamental difference between the immune responses generated by vaccines and natural infection is their specificity. In a natural infection, whole SARS-CoV-2 viruses infect cells in the respiratory tract. Responding immune cells can target any number of facets of those whole viruses. This creates a relatively large diversity of antibodies that bind to different bits of SARS-CoV-2. The vaccines, meanwhile, only offer to the immune system key snippets of SARS-CoV-2—namely the virus's spike protein. This is the protein that SARS-CoV-2 uses to enter human cells, and it's a key target of neutralizing antibodies. All antibodies in vaccinated people will target the spike protein. Though vaccinated people have less antibody diversity than previously infected people, they have high levels of highly targeted antibodies. Think of it as the difference between hunting a tiny virus with a shotgun and a sniper rifle.
But even a stronger argument for vaccination, it's clear that even one shot of a vaccine produces higher antibody response in even previously-infected people.
littlefish likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Isn't Uttar Pradesh the state that is distributing Ivermectin and zinc?
It’s the state in India where the ruling party members — and even its Chief Minister — were encouraging the bizarre concept that cow dung and cow urine can ward off this coronavirus.
lobo411 and sbandy like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s the state in India where the ruling party members — and even its Chief Minister — were encouraging the bizarre concept that cow dung and cow urine can ward off this coronavirus.
Har har.

Please explain the 0.00x% positivity rate 4 months straight, with testing on par with many Western countries.

I don't know enough about ivermectin, other than it's not just "horse medicine", and that some clinicians see a benefit. If it was in fact used widely in UP, within the corresponding time frame, it is at least a possible explanation. As is the natural immunity theory.

Vaccination rates there are still much lower than those in Europe or North America. Covid restrictions were largely lifted in early June.

What? Is? It?
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:07 pm
exp
Suspended

Do you have a link that India is testing "on par with many Western countries?"

Because it was widely reported that they under tested and underreported when they had their spring surge.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Do you have a link that India is testing "on par with many Western countries?"

Because it was widely reported that they under tested and underreported when they had their spring surge.
I acknowledged in my previous post that there had been underreporting, especially early in the pandemic. I think they learned the hard way that they couldn't ignore the disease.

Uttar Pradesh in August was averaging 150k to 200k tests per day.
By mid-September, 250k - 300k.

Population roughly 200 million. That's as many as 150 per 100,000 population tests per day. Here in Alberta, at the height of our 4th wave now, we are doing between 200 and 300 per 100k. We were doing fewer than 100/100k in July when cases were low (similar to Sweden - 10k tests per day, the US - 500k between waves). Not too shabby for a poor country, and the very definition of "on par with".

Other than "them is lyin'", I'll ask you as well: what explanation for the miniscule positivity rate, sustained for 4 months, would you offer?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I acknowledged in my previous post that there had been underreporting, especially early in the pandemic. I think they learned the hard way that they couldn't ignore the disease.

Population roughly 200 million. That's as many as 150 per 100,000 population tests per day. Here in Alberta, at the height of our 4th wave now, we are doing between 200 and 300 per 100k. We were doing fewer than 100/100k in July when cases were low (similar to Sweden - 10k tests per day, the US - 500k between waves). Not too shabby for a poor country, and the very definition of "on par with".

Other than "them is lyin'", I'll ask you as well: what explanation for the miniscule positivity rate, sustained for 4 months, would you offer?
As I look at the numbers New York State did 229,000 tests today in a population of about 40 million. So I’m not so sure that is a lot of tests in India. Without knowing who specifically is tested or anything else about the testing it seems to probably not matter much.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

I wouldn't put up Alberta as a "good" example for anything here.... So one probably shouldn't compare themselves to that.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I wouldn't put up Alberta as a "good" example for anything here.... So one probably shouldn't compare themselves to that.
if you have something of substance to add please do. Potshots at Alberta - even if deserved - may be fun but irrelevant.

Incidentally, British Columbia has done fewer than 4 million tests throughout the pandemic. Alberta - 5.6 million. With a smaller population.
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
As I look at the numbers New York State did 229,000 tests today in a population of about 40 million. So I’m not so sure that is a lot of tests in India. Without knowing who specifically is tested or anything else about the testing it seems to probably not matter much.
New York State was doing 50-60k test daily this and last summer between the various waves. 150 per 100k population. They are currently registering what, 3% positivity rate the past month? Without knowing who specifically is being tested and all that.

So chalk you up to those darn Indians lying as well? But other Indians like in Kerala aren't. Okey dokey.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
New York State was doing 50-60k test daily this and last summer between the various waves. 150 per 100k population. They are currently registering what, 3% positivity rate the past month? Without knowing who specifically is being tested and all that.

So chalk you up to those darn Indians lying as well? But other Indians like in Kerala aren't. Okey dokey.
I didn’t accuse them of lying. I said that isn’t a lot of tests and it probably doesn’t matter anyway because we don’t know why the numbers are that low. And New York thos are the numbers today. Last summer doesn’t matter at all since much of last year was testing limited.
volabam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.