FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:14 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by hurnik
So one of the "hot topics" in other areas/forums that I'm on (or read in the news) is that:
"We don't know how long/durable natural immunity lasts for COVID".
We seem to "know" how durable vaccine immunity is for (6 months?)

Is anyone aware of any studies (other than antibody titres) of people who had COVID (PCR confirmed) and haven't been vaccinated from say, March of 2020? I mean I'd think we'd be able to tell at this point if the "natural" immunity is 12 month at this point (which would certainly be longer than the vaccines so far?)

But I don't know how easy it would be to find all those people given the push for vaccines (although perhaps in countries/areas with lower percentage of vaccinated individuals)?
There's no reason antibodies in people with naturally immune people would last longer than antibodies in vaccinated people. The blood stream isn't going to keep antibodies around forever.

Maybe people who have severe covid had a stronger immune response so their bodies generated more antibodies, just like Moderna had triple the dose of Pfizer, resulting in more antibodies.

But Moderna response will also wane, just later than Pfizer and naturally immune people will also see their antibodies fade.

Bigger problem is that antibody response in unvaccinated people is highly variable and non-specific.