Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I didn’t accuse them of lying. I said that isn’t a lot of tests and it probably doesn’t matter anyway because we don’t know why the numbers are that low. And New York thos are the numbers today. Last summer doesn’t matter at all since much of last year was testing limited.
I wrote *this* summer as well. Testing numbers in Uttar Pradesh are decent. Sure you didn't accuse them directly of lying but suggested their numbers are bunk. Not much of a difference. By the way, in countries with very low testing numbers we still see spikes and waves, with the attendant high positivity rates. Not here. Unless they are testing the healthiest of healthy... to what end?

I really wish someone would come up with a cogent explanation of those numbers out of India other that "that just can't be!". So far it's been case after case of cognitive dissonance with a sprinkling of ad hominem attacks against Uttar Pradeshans(?) and Albertans.
JNelson113 and volabam like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by exp
There's no reason antibodies in people with naturally immune people would last longer than antibodies in vaccinated people. The blood stream isn't going to keep antibodies around forever.
Flu survivors still immune after 90 years
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...after-90-years

and how many people do you know who've had chicken pox more than once?
cesco.g, JNelson113 and volabam like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

me! Although the second time it’s shingles, not chicken pox
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by hurnik
So one of the "hot topics" in other areas/forums that I'm on (or read in the news) is that:
"We don't know how long/durable natural immunity lasts for COVID".
We seem to "know" how durable vaccine immunity is for (6 months?)

Is anyone aware of any studies (other than antibody titres) of people who had COVID (PCR confirmed) and haven't been vaccinated from say, March of 2020? I mean I'd think we'd be able to tell at this point if the "natural" immunity is 12 month at this point (which would certainly be longer than the vaccines so far?)

But I don't know how easy it would be to find all those people given the push for vaccines (although perhaps in countries/areas with lower percentage of vaccinated individuals)?
There are many good studies based on clinical outcomes and not just theoretical correlates.
Vaccinating people who have had covid-19: why doesn’t natural immunity count in the US?
- Gandhi included a list of some 20 references on natural immunity to Covid in a long Twitter thread supporting the durability of both vaccine and infection induced immunity. “I stopped adding papers to it in December because it was getting so long,” she tells The BMJ. But the studies kept coming. A National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded study from La Jolla Institute for Immunology found “durable immune responses” in 95% of the 200 participants up to eight months after infection. –

- Several studies (in Qatar, England, Israel, and the US) have found infection rates at equally low levels among people who are fully vaccinated and those who have previously had covid-19. Cleveland Clinic surveyed its more than 50 000 employees to compare four groups based on history of SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination status. Not one of over 1300 unvaccinated employees who had been previously infected tested positive during the five months of the study. Researchers concluded that that cohort “are unlikely to benefit from covid-19 vaccination.” In Israel, researchers accessed a database of the entire population to compare the efficacy of vaccination with previous infection and found nearly identical numbers. “Our results question the need to vaccinate previously infected individuals,” they concluded. –

- “Dr Fauci—he’s a strong believer that higher antibody titres are going to be more protective against the variants,” says Jeffrey Klausner, a clinical professor of preventive medicine at the University of Southern California and former CDC medical officer, who has spoken out in favour of treating prior infection as equivalent to vaccination, with “the same societal status.” Klausner conducted a systematic review of 10 studies on reinfection and concluded that the “protective effect” of a previous infection “is high and similar to the protective effect of vaccination.” In vaccine trials, antibodies are higher in participants who were seropositive at baseline than in those who were seronegative. However, Memoli questions the importance: “We don’t know that that means it’s better protection.” –
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Related article on vaccination after Covid recovery:

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2101
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Donsyb
me! Although the second time it’s shingles, not chicken pox
Indeed, and I mention it not least because that virus is a great example of just how differently the US heathcare system deals with certain illnesses compared to other countries ...

For instance in the UK these are the bits of official advice:

The chickenpox vaccine
You can get the chickenpox vaccine on the NHS if there's a risk of harming someone with a weakened immune system if you spread the virus to them. For example, a child can be vaccinated if 1 of their parents is having chemotherapy. You can also pay for the vaccine at some private clinics or travel clinics. It costs between £120 and £200.
So: don't worry about vaccinating healthy kids against chickenpox (full disclosure: we didn't, all three kids duly caught it and quickly recovered from it)...

Shingles vaccination
A shingles vaccine is available on the NHS for people in their 70s. It helps reduce your risk of getting shingles.

So: vaccinate only the vulnerable (seniors in this case) against shingles.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 9:53 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS

Those are different pathogens so the antibodies for those are different than those for covid.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Har har.

Please explain the 0.00x% positivity rate 4 months straight, with testing on par with many Western countries.

I don't know enough about ivermectin, other than it's not just "horse medicine", and that some clinicians see a benefit. If it was in fact used widely in UP, within the corresponding time frame, it is at least a possible explanation. As is the natural immunity theory.

Vaccination rates there are still much lower than those in Europe or North America. Covid restrictions were largely lifted in early June.

What? Is? It?
UP has claimed to have vaccinated over 93 million of its people. Seroprevalence studies in India suggest about case numbers undercounting prior infections in the state and country by a factor of more than 20x. More like 26-27x according to someone the UP government doesn’t like.

UP is interesting:

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on the same day had said the virus could be eliminated by practising Yoga.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le30993771.ece

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 9, 2021 at 3:14 pm
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Immune response is much more complicated than just having a bunch of disease-specific antibodies floating around. It's energetically expensive for an organism to keep cranking out antibodies for a pathogen it may not encounter again for years, or possibly ever again, so mammalian immune systems have developed "memory" systems that prime them to rapidly produce a strong immune response, including disease-specific antibodies, to things they've encountered and recovered from previously.

Memory B Cells
Memory T Cells
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Those are different pathogens so the antibodies for those are different than those for covid.
You're grasping at straws.

If natural immunity to other coronaviruses like SARS CoV1 fizzled out, then you may have a point in there somewhere. But the exact opposite is actually the case.

By the way, the article you linked yesterday is such a bad faith effort. The author neglected to mention any of the many studies supporting the natural immunity proposition (and no, it's not just "some" that merely "seem" to), especially the biggest and probably best one out of Israel. It would be laughable if she wasn't so offensively dishonest while purporting to be balanced.

It may well be that natural immunity is hard to reliably measure or quantify and that there is variation among those who have had it (true for vaccine recipients to some extent by the way). The pertinent question is are those even on the lower range of (only) natural immunity protection better or worse off than the average (only) vaxxed? Data suggests the former. Why are they being made second-class citizens across the supposedly free Western world is another question to which I am yet to see a good answer.

The only fair point she made is that natural infection plus vaccination is better. Well duh. So bike helmet AND bubble wrap for my kid then. Genius!
cesco.g, Rare and volabam like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I have also had chickenpox twice, the second time as an adult and it really wasn't much fun at all. I then got the vaccine as an adult, plus it was a requirement for me to work in labs. I am wholly unconvinced this is either a good argument or has anything to do with corona viruses, which have a different set of immunity processes to chickenpox and indeed flu. Anyone who is saying "natural infection is definitely better than vaccination" is usually recycling an anti-vaxxers' trope. The actual answer is that that no-one knows, the virus is still mutating into vast numbers of variants, still mainly under the cosh of Delta and perhaps Lambda. A few years down the line we will know a lot more and hopefully also have even better vaccnines.

For the 1918 strain, yes it's certainly the case that some aspect of the complex influenza immunity journey give lifetime immunity, unfortunately it's limited to those strains and their related lineages. Consequently someone surviviing the Spanish flu would be strongly advised to get vaccinated, not least because it gives both A and B virus protection. Spanish Flu was an H1N1 virus, so an A virus. Someone that caught an H1N1 strain would have very little protection against B influenza, just to give one of many examples. We know of a small number of people, unvaccinated, who have caught both Alpha and Delta, but we haven't seen many (any?) proven cases of vaccinated people getting both Alpha and Delta. Too little evidence to read much into that, but anyone not getting vaccinated at the moment, placing hope in natural immunity, would seemingly not be aware that hope is a pretty crummy strategy. There's no point taking bits and pieces of science in this area to overthrow what is a broad consensus, involving at least 99% of immunologists, that right now it's important to get every adult vaccinated, regardless of past infection. The arguments that immunologists have are on issues like vaccinating children (mostly they are now in favour) and/or whether to give out boosters to the general population or not, and upon what basis - not on whether natural infection is worth pursuing as an objective.

The B cell led immunity is still an evolving area of science, there is a lot more that we need to find out about that, and in the case of COVID this is critical to how the end game will play out. Just right now it is still very unclear how it will play out and there are few certainties.
artemis, karenkay, hurnik and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
UP has claimed to have vaccinated over 93 million of its people. Seroprevalence studies in India suggest about case numbers undercounting prior infections in the state and country by a factor of more than 20x. More like 26-27x according to someone the UP government doesn’t like.

UP is interesting:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le30993771.ece
You are basically repeating yourself. Bunch of lying superstitious savages. Got it.
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have also had chickenpox twice, the second time as an adult and it really wasn't much fun at all. I then got the vaccine as an adult, plus it was a requirement for me to work in labs. I am wholly unconvinced this is either a good argument or has anything to do with corona viruses, which have a different set of immunity processes to chickenpox and indeed flu. Anyone who is saying "natural infection is definitely better than vaccination" is usually recycling an anti-vaxxers' trope. The actual answer is that that no-one knows, the virus is still mutating into vast numbers of variants, still mainly under the cosh of Delta and perhaps Lambda. A few years down the line we will know a lot more and hopefully also have even better vaccnines.
Statistically, given the number of infected people, the replication rate, and viral loads, every possible single-nucleotide variation is being generated anew and transmitted every single day.

There's still plenty of room and mutation capability for the virus to random-walk its way to some new multi-nucleotide versions that will be bad news.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Anyone who is saying "natural infection is definitely better than vaccination" is usually recycling an anti-vaxxers' trope. The actual answer is that that no-one knows [..]
So we don't know...

There's no point taking bits and pieces of science in this area to overthrow what is a broad consensus, involving at least 99% of immunologists, that right now it's important to get every adult vaccinated, regardless of past infection.
...but one paragraph later, we do?

Sorry, but this is public health policy getting the better of actual science. Again!

There are countries ignoring the infected-and-recovered, and there countries where a confirmed Covid infection-and-recovery puts you on the exact same footing as being fully vaccinated. Including the one I'm currently in.

Are those places really seen as suffering from some kind of madness affecting government and policymakers? Governments who are deaf to 99% of immunologists, as it were?
cesco.g and volabam like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So we don't know...

...but one paragraph later, we do?

Sorry, but this is public health policy getting the better of actual science. Again!

There are countries ignoring the infected-and-recovered, and there countries where a confirmed Covid infection-and-recovery puts you on the exact same footing as being fully vaccinated. Including the one I'm currently in.

Are those places really seen as suffering from some kind of madness affecting government and policymakers? Governments who are deaf to 99% of immunologists, as it were?
These data is being collected right now, you are in the hope (your natural immunity is enough against other variants) group, vs. the better safe than sorry group (hope plus vaccination group).
FAA1996 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.