Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
If I am reading this post correctly it says, if you don’t understand the science pretend the disease doesn’t exist and in the US for instance 700,000 people dying is not as bad as wearing a mask?
No, you have reading comprehension problems.
volabam likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by karenkay
data point: turns out that study claiming 1 in 1000 at risk of myocarditis was wrong. has been withdrawn due to a miscalculation.

"The study was...withdrawn on September 24 and in a statement the researchers said: "Our reported incidence appeared vastly inflated by an incorrectly small denominator (ie number of doses administered over the time period of the study). We reviewed the data available at Open Ottawa and found that there had indeed been a major underestimation...

“In order to avoid misleading either colleagues or the general public and press, we the authors unanimously wish to withdraw this paper on the grounds of incorrect incidence data,” they added.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2QX1WS
I am shocked, SHOCKED that anti-vaccine articles shared on FT by usually the same 1-2 posters turned out to be based on bad data. Absolutely shocked. Just something to keep in mind for everyone reading a "fact-based" thread that not all posts are without an agenda.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by invisible
No, you have reading comprehension problems.
No, I don’t think I do. I went back and read it again and I read it the same way.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
No, I don’t think I do. I went back and read it again and I read it the same way.
Carry on.

volabam and alex67500 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm one of those who are eligible and have received the Pfizer COVID third dose booster. I've seen reports that Pfizer vaccine antibodies wane after X time with the two dose regime. Would the same be true for three doses, does it really matter, or do we not yet know the answer?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We don't absolutely know the answer but the effect should be very similar to dose 2. Which is a daily increase in antibody response, more or less straight line, with after 10 days a pretty hefty extra response, then the line slightly flattens - still going upwards - and peaks around 24 days. Flat lines from there, for at least a while (and this is the stage we know least about). Every person is different, faster if you are younger, slower and less marked if you are older or your immune system is less responsive. The big difference, though, is that you should still have a reasonably good level of antibodies from dose 2, so this should be all at a reasonably high starting platform. No night clubs for the next 2 weeks please, as I say to my octogenarian patients. They all look horrified.
ExpatExp, squawk and nk15 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:10 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
We should know from Israel around January or February. They started giving boosters in July?

So we'll see if they have to boost again 6 months after the booster (3rd shot) though the booster shot is suppose to raise antibody levels way above the second shot, because it's 6 months later.

But in any event, it may not boost antibodies enough in the mucous linings of the nose and mouth, which would do the most to prevent infections and spread.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Israel leads the world by far in third doses but because of their relatively lower vaccination rates and high infection rates is a confusing country to follow.

I think Portugal is the country we should be studying closer, they are 1st or 2nd in vaccination rates in the world, and had a very high infection rate before vaccines. With a population of 10 million, 87% (first dose)/ and 84% fully vaccinated, and 1 million official Covid infections (and I am guessing that is an undercount), even with some double or breakthrough infections, almost every Portuguese person should by now be vaccinated, infected, or both. So, in theory, they should have herd immunity and be done with the pandemic. Their infection data seem to support that.

Edit: It turns out they militarized the vaccine rollout operation, and went from the worst in Europe in January to best in the world in September:

Naval officer wins praise for Portugal’s vaccine rollout (apnews.com)

Last edited by nk15; Oct 3, 2021 at 6:14 pm Reason: typos, grammar
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
The news headline said hospitalization and death is cut by half. I know being an oral pill has huge advantages, but still would like to how that compares with remdesivir and the regeneration monoclonal antibody drugs?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On an anecdote basis, for the booster shots that I've been giving out so far the patients have generally not noticed much in terms of side effects. About half had AZ as the first pair, half had Pfizer - and almost all of them are getting Pfizer as the booster. Now the old dears never complain, but some are healthcare workers, dentists and so on, and much younger and they too say that side effects are limited to a briefly sore arm. Anecdote not data. The COV-MIX study did indicate mixing doses could give 2 rounds of side effects whereas sticking with one vaccine brand would typically give one, but that was on the basis of an 8 week gap between doses, whereas the Booster programme is at least 182 days after dose 2.
To add to your data. Wife and I had Pfizer 3rd dose boosters Friday. Side effects were slight tenderness at injection site resolving Sunday, 2 days post injection. Jab #2 was site tenderness and fatigue for me. All doses Pfizer.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by invisible
Carry on.

One of my favorite cartoons of all time. Although probably better suited arguments about whether Fords or Chevys are better than for scientific facts about a pandemic that has killed millions of people.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On an anecdote basis, for the booster shots that I've been giving out so far the patients have generally not noticed much in terms of side effects. About half had AZ as the first pair, half had Pfizer - and almost all of them are getting Pfizer as the booster. Now the old dears never complain, but some are healthcare workers, dentists and so on, and much younger and they too say that side effects are limited to a briefly sore arm. Anecdote not data. The COV-MIX study did indicate mixing doses could give 2 rounds of side effects whereas sticking with one vaccine brand would typically give one, but that was on the basis of an 8 week gap between doses, whereas the Booster programme is at least 182 days after dose 2.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
To add to your data. Wife and I had Pfizer 3rd dose boosters Friday. Side effects were slight tenderness at injection site resolving Sunday, 2 days post injection. Jab #2 was site tenderness and fatigue for me. All doses Pfizer.
Since I wrote the first post, I too have had my Booster (I am both over 50 and a healthcare worker, but not in a risk category, I am now 6 months past dose 2, 9 months past dose 1). In my case the sequence is AZ + AZ + Pfizer. First AZ had me clobbered for a few hours with side effects, 6 out of 10 on the scale, took several doses of paracetemol, but the effects didn't last long. Second AZ I wouldn't have noticed any side effects if I wasn't looking for them, 1 out of 10. I think I took a single paracetemol dose but forgot to take a later dose. For my Pfizer booster on Satuday, which I had at 14:00 hrs, I was very tired Saturday evening, but a full day vaccinating is hard work for me. Sore arm Sunday morning, largely gone by the afternoon. Slightly fatigued briefly Sunday afternoon. 0.5 out of 10, and I didn't take paracetemol.
DaveS and nk15 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A bunch of my older relatives and their colleagues in the US medical field have gotten their boosters at the end of last month. It’s been PfizerB*3 for either most or maybe all of these thrice jabbed folk. Of the female ones who had any substantial, quickly passing side effects after the second shot, they mostly had the same or slightly stronger side effects compared with the second PfizerB shot; the male ones said it was the same as with their second shots: mostly nothing really noteworthy.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nk15
Israel leads the world by far in third doses but because of their relatively lower vaccination rates and high infection rates is a confusing country to follow.

I think Portugal is the country we should be studying closer, they are 1st or 2nd in vaccination rates in the world, and had a very high infection rate before vaccines. With a population of 10 million, 87% (first dose)/ and 84% fully vaccinated, and 1 million official Covid infections (and I am guessing that is an undercount), even with some double or breakthrough infections, almost every Portuguese person should by now be vaccinated, infected, or both. So, in theory, they should have herd immunity and be done with the pandemic. Their infection data seem to support that.

Edit: It turns out they militarized the vaccine rollout operation, and went from the worst in Europe in January to best in the world in September:

Naval officer wins praise for Portugal’s vaccine rollout (apnews.com)
In Portugal, 98% of vaccine-eligible persons have been fully vaccinated. Of the entire population, it’s around 86% vaccinated.

It’s an impressive turnaround with vaccinations in Portugal.
karenkay likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:04 pm

Question to doc and CWS again.

If one is vaccinated and got Covid afterwards, which was either asymptomatic or so mild that it was detected only afterwards, how much such person should worry about future problems associated with Covid?

- can one catch Covid again and spread it to others?
- should one continue wearing masks, follow distancing rules, sanitize groceries with bleach/whatever/etc…

Basically my question is - at what point one (and the society) can say - Covid is not a threat to me and I am no threat to other due to Covid and what KPIs are necessary for such?
JNelson113 and volabam like this.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 4, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.