Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:44 pm

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-canadian-icus

some anecdotal insight into our experience north of the border
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Animation of COVID-19 cases spread:

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...0/embed?auto=1
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by narvik
Animation of COVID-19 cases spread:

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...0/embed?auto=1
Well, as China and Italy found out it is not a sprint, it's a marathon...
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
…..

I don't think HCQ is a prophylaxis to prevent CV-19 like it prevents malaria.
There are some RCTs testing HCQ as prophylaxis, here is one:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04318444

There are 68 studies of HCQ registered on that site.

Another one:

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/ne...revent-covid19

Last edited by nk15; Apr 12, 2020 at 12:02 am
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:29 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
France has seen a flattening of the curve in terms of hospitalizations and a reduction in ICU cases over the last several days. They are still reporting new cases and lots of deaths, so I am not sure what it all means. Maybe just stats catching up.

Obviously deaths will be the last thing to flatten and drop.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It prevents the malaria from attacking the hemoglobin in red blood cells. So it prevents infection, not treats it. Not an antibiotic. Note that CV-19 is not blood borne.
It's really also a mild immunosuppressant. That is why it is used in autoimmune diseases like lupus to prevent certain flare ups.
For CV-19 it theoretically prevents the cytokine storm that can put people into the ICU.

However, if you have a great immune system and are not prone to a cytokine storm, then why suppress it at all and put yourself at a disadvantage for prolonged viral replication.

That is the question the studies need to answer.

This is not medical advice, but my own thoughts knowing my own body.... If I caught CV-19, I would personally follow my fevers and pulse ox at home. My own personal experience with viruses and H1N1 is no more than 3 days of fever. So I would not take it at that time. I would eat a low cal ketosis diet and hydrate well. If the fevers are not gone by Day 7 and I was a bit short of breath, I would consider it. But who knows if that would be too late or if it even helps. But the majority of cases don't get that far.

What is crazy is that the chest radiology shows viral pneumonia even in people with mild cases and no shortness of breath. So the trigger for that cytokine storm is the thing we are trying to avoid in the few patients who get that far in the disease process.

I don't think HCQ is a prophylaxis to prevent CV-19 like it prevents malaria.
What's the "it" here? Is Zithromax not an antibiotic?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
There are some RCTs testing HCQ as prophylaxis, here is one:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04318444

There are 68 studies of HCQ registered on that site.

Another one:

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/ne...revent-covid19
Typically studies on drugs are done and paid for by the manufacturer. When studying an off-label use of a generic, it is virtually unheard of for multiples to be done simultaneously since little drug company money is available. Usually one center gets an NIH grant and studies it. These are different times and a different foe.

The number 68 is definitive proof that this drug has been politicized. Frankly, I am not sure I will believe any single positive or negative work that comes out of those. Medical studies that have a definite profit (or less likely political) motive can be full of errors. Not all of them outright lie or fabricate data, although that has happened. Here are some of the things that researchers have been caught doing in the past:
  • Selecting patients for treatment and control groups to give a slight advantage for the desired outcome. Like a multi-level marketing company wants to prove their miracle vitamins work, but the treatment group is slightly younger, slightly healthier and has a lower body fat. Or the weight loss product includes women who are 4 weeks post-partum in their treatment group but not control group.
  • Discontinuing the study when the results are not working out. In the early 1990's the few "definitive" studies on the benefit of SSRI's for depression get the headlines but nobody talked about the 25 studies that were shelved during phase III and not published. 22 of 25 of those were showing no benefit.
How many of these studies will rush to release results in October or November? How many will release after election day? Is there a reason for that?

Also, we are treating something that generally has a good outcome. Over 99% of infected people survive. We still do not know how many people are even infected in the first place. Are the studies seeking out asymptomatic carriers to test their "cure"? Or are they only enrolling a group that requires hospitalization or oxygen need where the outcomes are better known?

For prophylaxis, one will easily need thousands of patients in both a control group and a treatment group to even begin to have power to reach a conclusion regarding infection rate, progression to hospitalization, progression to ICU, and mortality. Will the control group and the treatment group get as many swab tests? Will the "good nurse" who always gets a complete sample only test the control group and raise the infection rate? Antibody testing can remove that sampling error.

So keep that in mind as these results start to hit the mainstream, and clickbait internet media. Also, make sure you go back to the link above and see how many of these studies have closed without reporting results.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the "it" here? Is Zithromax not an antibiotic?
Zithromax is.
The post was about HCQ.

In general, any non-bacterial cause of respiratory damage (inhalation injury, drug reaction, viruses) can make the damaged tissue vulnerable to bacterial superinfection.
Therefore, antibiotics can be used for that reason even though bacteria was not the cause of the primary infection.
karenkay likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 12, 2020 at 10:01 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member; suggest using Multi-quote feature.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:39 am

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-f...231032581.html

Read this and come to your own conclusions.
Is there a link to the primary source article?
Is the headline indicative of the content?
Who did the study and could there be a political agenda?

Here is the primary work: Notice how the 13 feet part (4m) is the outlier extreme chance finding not repeated in the majority of their assessments: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0885_article

And after reading all of that, the entire study is discredited by their own limitations: Our study has 2 limitations. First, the results of the nucleic acid test do not indicate the amount of viable virus. Second, for the unknown minimal infectious dose, the aerosol transmission distance cannot be strictly determined.

Be careful, there is a lot of work, done in China over 5 weeks ago that could have been released a lot sooner, with headlines that are scarier about spread of the virus than their data would indicate. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/ shows "expedited articles" on the front page. That means that peer review has been substandard, yet Yahoo picks it up regardless. Is this all a friendly warning to countries who are now affected? Or is is a way to shape lockdowns and economic damage from afar. I encourage you to read the entire primary work for each one and read their self-admitted limitations of the study. There are lots of clues when the work is great and when it is poor.
Finally, any data on airborne spread needs to show an AMOUNT of virus per cubic meter in the air samples. Not just what percent were positive and not just test surfaces where a droplet from a cough can land and leave an RNA remnant for weeks. And I have yet to see cultures for live virus done in these studies. Just looking for viral RNA remnants, which can persist on surfaces for weeks (CDC Diamond princess cruise ship). A patient in a hospital bed lying face up coughs and droplets collect on the air return grate and add up for each cough and persist for weeks. How is that applicable to two people waking past each other in a store? Or a hairdresser wearing a mask working on a client? It is not.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:41 am

Another study, this time from Singapore looking at airborne virus...
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...557v1.full.pdf

Basically, the quantified the viral particles in the air in a sick hospital patient's room, and found a whopping 3,000 per cubic meter.

That is the volume of 2,000 human breaths at 500 cc per breath.

Therefore, in that patients hospital room, you risked inhaling 1.5 virus particles per breath on average.

You can get measles from a single virion. For this you probably need the order of 200,000 - 700,000 times that.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Apr 12, 2020 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically studies on drugs are done and paid for by the manufacturer. When studying an off-label use of a generic, it is virtually unheard of for multiples to be done simultaneously since little drug company money is available. Usually one center gets an NIH grant and studies it. These are different times and a different foe.

The number 68 is definitive proof that this drug has been politicized. Frankly, I am not sure I will believe any single positive or negative work that comes out of those. Medical studies that have a definite profit (or less likely political) motive can be full of errors. Not all of them outright lie or fabricate data, although that has happened. Here are some of the things that researchers have been caught doing in the past:
  • Selecting patients for treatment and control groups to give a slight advantage for the desired outcome. Like a multi-level marketing company wants to prove their miracle vitamins work, but the treatment group is slightly younger, slightly healthier and has a lower body fat. Or the weight loss product includes women who are 4 weeks post-partum in their treatment group but not control group.
  • Discontinuing the study when the results are not working out. In the early 1990's the few "definitive" studies on the benefit of SSRI's for depression get the headlines but nobody talked about the 25 studies that were shelved during phase III and not published. 22 of 25 of those were showing no benefit.
How many of these studies will rush to release results in October or November? How many will release after election day? Is there a reason for that?

Also, we are treating something that generally has a good outcome. Over 99% of infected people survive. We still do not know how many people are even infected in the first place. Are the studies seeking out asymptomatic carriers to test their "cure"? Or are they only enrolling a group that requires hospitalization or oxygen need where the outcomes are better known?

For prophylaxis, one will easily need thousands of patients in both a control group and a treatment group to even begin to have power to reach a conclusion regarding infection rate, progression to hospitalization, progression to ICU, and mortality. Will the control group and the treatment group get as many swab tests? Will the "good nurse" who always gets a complete sample only test the control group and raise the infection rate? Antibody testing can remove that sampling error.

So keep that in mind as these results start to hit the mainstream, and clickbait internet media. Also, make sure you go back to the link above and see how many of these studies have closed without reporting results.
Good points, these are some of the problems with science and good science. I agree that many of the studies will have problems recruiting adequate numbers and maintaining scientific integrity throughout, as the pandemic also has its own course and it is evolving.

The fact that all these studies are run by independent research teams, many in Ivies, with no apparent conflicts of interest and ties to drug manufacturers (I assume), it will be less likely to have fraud/data manipulation or strong investigator allegiance effects. I am personally very critical and skeptical of the drug industry research, due to the severe conflicts of interest, lax regulation, and their TV ads, but here I assume there is an urgency to solve an actual problem, although that may also create a perverse motive for certain results.

But then it comes down to are we going to trust medical research at all or are we going to throw everything out of the window...But all these are good points, hopefully a bunch of decent quality independent studies will converge in one direction...
karenkay likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Good points, these are some of the problems with science and good science. I agree that many of the studies will have problems recruiting adequate numbers and maintaining scientific integrity throughout, as the pandemic also has its own course and it is evolving.
The fact that all these studies are run by independent research teams, many in Ivies, with no apparent conflicts of interest and ties to drug manufacturers, I assume, it will be less likely to have fraud/data manipulation or strong investigator allegiance effects. I am personally very critical and skeptical of the drug industry research, due to the severe conflicts of interest, lax regulation, and their TV ads, but here I assume there is an urgency to solve an actual problem, although that may also create a perverse motive for certain results.
But then it comes down to are we going to trust medical research at all or are we going to throw everything out of the window...But all these are good points, hopefully a bunch of independent studies will converge in one direction...
HCQ in the US has become politically charged. That is the "68" number. Maybe I would trust the studies from outside the US more. But each one deserves to be read on its own merits.

Best daily data read on how the people (not necessarily the politicians) are doing to control spread in different states and countries.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...hs_wO-t71DJOo0
Authors Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/isfBob

While the media focuses on the round numbers of cumulative cases, deaths, and rankings, the real conclusions lie here in first and second derivatives of that data.

Also, if you use the Western states vs the Northeast as a proxy for Asian-origin vs European-origin you see a virus that has been around a lot longer out West and they are further along the curve, vs the East which appears to have received a larger dose over a shorter period of time.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 12, 2020 at 10:03 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
France has seen a flattening of the curve in terms of hospitalizations and a reduction in ICU cases over the last several days. They are still reporting new cases and lots of deaths, so I am not sure what it all means. Maybe just stats catching up.
Yeah, it's been quite obvious that the last couple of days of stats are always bad, especially over weekends. Everywhere, not just France.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, it's been quite obvious that the last couple of days of stats are always bad, especially over weekends. Everywhere, not just France.
Yeah I'm not sure what to make of it. French stats for yesterday were just released. 310 more hospital deaths and 251 more in nursing homes. 508 more hospitalizations but 38 less in ICU. 795 people returned home from the hospital. But there were 1613 new people testing positive. Maybe this is just what stats will look like everywhere when you are at the top of the curve?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:45 pm

Another point about this alarmist study I mentioned above....
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0885_article

It did not even control for the fact that a nurse or the patient himself getting up and using the bathroom could have stirred up some virus on clothing or from another surface feet away from the head of the bed which could have resulted in that positive "4m away". No controls whatsoever and there is a lot of activity in a patient room, especially one who is ambulatory. The conclusions are junk and alarmist.

this will get fixed in peer review one can only hope.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
One of the most surprising things to me has been that this somehow doesn't appear to affect people with asthma any worse on both an infection and severity level. Does anyone have any sources or thoughts at hand that go more into why this might be? I'm genuinely curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.