Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
15 new cases in South Korea. Any details?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by invisible
15 new cases in South Korea. Any details?
I think it's up to 20 new cases now today in Korea. At least 15 of which are linked to one person infecting 14 people at a church and 1 person at a hospital.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by bosleto
I think it's up to 20 new cases now today in Korea. At least 15 of which are linked to one person infecting 14 people at a church and 1 person at a hospital.
How conveniently this came on the same day of releasing inmates from Wuhan Princess, right?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by invisible
How conveniently this came on the same day of releasing inmates from Wuhan Princess, right?
Not sure I follow to be honest.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bosleto
I am getting more and more convinced that the major source of spread is done by a small percentage of infected people, i.e. super-spreaders.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:33 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by STS-134
The US could have put effectively put all of its own citizens on that ship on a no fly list. Suspend their passports. What they do within Japan is up to the Japanese government, but the US can make sure that they don't go anywhere else.
That's illegal and wouldn't stand up in court. It goes against every American value.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:38 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by narvik
I am getting more and more convinced that the major source of spread is done by a small percentage of infected people, i.e. super-spreaders.
I am also starting to feel like that's a major factor.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by piyush
India evacuated and isolated about 650 people from Hubei but to your point it's very possible a few 100 did come back to India on their own before that. I'm sure there will be more cases than just the three that have been detected so far especially since the screening at airports is most likely just checking for elevated temperatures.

In Mumbai it is pretty much business as usual. I spoke to a few doctors in Mumbai and they said the haven't seen any spike in the number of ill people in January/February.

Here is an article I found with an update on what's going on in India -

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...1.cms?from=mdr
Thanks. We now know that symptomatic screening for COVID-19 is essentially useless. That does beg the question of whether we should resign to our fate and open all borders or just hope for the best.

tb
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:19 am

OK, having woken up to a post-Diamond Princess world, here's my attempt to stop my mind unravelling:

We are already seeing local transmission in Japan with no clear-cut chain: Worst-case scenario that 400 of the remaining DP pax and crew are infected adds fuel to the fire, but basically only brings things forward by a week or two in terms of epidemic spread. Being positive, assuming that the failure of quarantine on the ship was _ship-specific_, dispersing the passengers will actually reduce the burden going forwards. Whilst neither of these scenarios are preferable compared with land-based quarantine, it is what it is.

New paper in NEJM suggests that symptomatic screening is essentially useless. As such, I think we've lost containment. It also may mean that the 80% are mild is a vast under-estimate, it may be that 95% of cases are mild.

I'm now just praying that this virus is seasonal, which will buy us about 6 months of time (in the Northern hemisphere, sorry Antipodes!) so that we can try to mitigate the eventual spread by either therapeutic means or vaccines...

The irony of US not imposing a Japan travel ban is interesting: by far the most dangerous place to be now....

tb
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:39 am

79 new positives from DP: no idea when samples were taken. But even if in the last 3-4 days, it would really stretch the current model we have of ANY coronavirus incubation period to have this many coming up at that time, and suggest that probably 1000 people were already infected by 4th February (impossible that we've captured every case with current sampling and testing). Of course, that's the official Japanese narrative. Occam would suggest that there was no effective quarantine, and of the 800 released today, at least a good proportion: 20? 40? 80? 160? are infected by SARS-CoV2.

tb
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by trueblu
79 new positives from DP: no idea when samples were taken. But even if in the last 3-4 days, it would really stretch the current model we have of ANY coronavirus incubation period to have this many coming up at that time, and suggest that probably 1000 people were already infected by 4th February (impossible that we've captured every case with current sampling and testing). Of course, that's the official Japanese narrative. Occam would suggest that there was no effective quarantine, and of the 800 released today, at least a good proportion: 20? 40? 80? 160? are infected by SARS-CoV2.

tb
I can’t help but think that Japan’s inability to deal with this is dooming maybe millions of people. I’ve become despondent watching this unfold. Sort of like watching a car crash happening. While I’m in the car.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I can’t help but think that Japan’s inability to deal with this is dooming maybe millions of people. I’ve become despondent watching this unfold. Sort of like watching a car crash happening. While I’m in the car.
I feel like I’m in that car without a seatbelt. Time to make some difficult personal decisions.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Sounds like it’s time to cancel my July trip to Japan.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm starting to wonder whether I should add South Korea to my "avoid travel" list. Approximately twenty new cases in one day doesn't sound good either.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
But we seem to be the "only" people who care. Every day In America, tens of millions of people are outraged over whatever trivial and largely meaningless thing President Trump has done that day. But try to find ANY expressions of concern for what's going on with the Diamond Princess. And this was a country that was very scared by the trivial ebola risk a few years ago. Now, crickets. And I see the global financial markets are trending up this morning.

Several days ago, I said that the Japanese decision to leave everyone aboard the Diamond Princess despite overwhelming evidence that it had become a breeding ground for WuFlu could be considered a crime against humanity. If that was indeed the case, and I think it was, how can I describe their decision to now simply release hundreds of likely infected passengers into the general population with no restrictions?

Humanity sure could use a lucky break here. Hopefully, whatever strain of WuFlu that is on that boat is not as contagious off the boat. And hopefully the strain is mild, so that even if it spreads like flu throughout Japan, not many people will get seriously ill. With the cat now out of the bag, I don't think we have any options other than hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.