Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: various
@trublu: Do you have any thoughts on the ACE-2 enzyme theory, that populations (such as Japanese and Han Chinese) who have higher levels of this in their lung tissues, are more susceptible to severe illness from COVID-19 than populations that have less of this enzyme?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So far. Don't forget that people who became ill earlier are more likely to have already died (or recovered), while the outcomes for more recently diagnosed cases tend not to be known yet.

Part of the explanation for the worse outcomes on Wuhan/Hubei is surely the lack of adequate medical facilities and/or appropriate care. In addition, since this in an infectious disease, putting sick people together in crowded makeshift wards or hospital hallways to cross contaminate each other can't be helpful.
Originally Posted by narvik
Is that even true though? If there's no cure, I'm not convinced "medical care" does anything at all to save a life. maybe prolong death, but has it been established that anyone that received medical care actually survived that otherwise wouldn't have?
To me it seems that even the best medical care (the doctor and the hospital's director come to mind) can't save anyone at all.

If you get it, it's up to your immune system and health to beat it. Medical care might make it [slightly] more comfortable, but that's about it.
Originally Posted by trueblu
My maxim is that one should avoid hospitals at all costs, until it becomes unavoidable. Hospitals are very dangerous places. But, if the alternative is likely death, being in hospital is just about a better option. I've repeatedly said (and not just on here) that the Chinese gov decision that mild cases should be institutionally treated is just insanity.

tb

Would be interesting to know what proportion of those deaths are in hospital vs. at the deceased's home or somewhere else.

Maybe secondary infections are at play.

Also what would the treatment regime be, ventilators and retrovirals, maybe IV fluids and something to control fever?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by jiejie
@trublu: Do you have any thoughts on the ACE-2 enzyme theory, that populations (such as Japanese and Han Chinese) who have higher levels of this in their lung tissues, are more susceptible to severe illness from COVID-19 than populations that have less of this enzyme?
I haven't seen any other data, but haven't looked too hard. It's very believable that there is considerable heterogeneity in both the number of cells expressing ACE-2, and the degree of expression of ACE-2. But I'm not sure that means the one Asian they had in this small study means that Asians are at increased risk. It's also not known if this heterogeneity presents a risk factor for disease susceptibility.

Going back to that preprint today, in the "comments" section someone has written a couple of days ago about an analysis they did on about 515 samples, most of them Caucasian and 8 Asians, but using a different methodology: "the result of comparison is shown below and in the figure; in my analysis I did not see significant difference between Asians and Caucasian in the ACE2 expression levels (P by two-tailed t-test = 0.858, P by generalized linear model [GLM] considering sex, age and type of death as covariates = 0.999). Also there was no difference between males (N = 300) and females" ....so according to this person, the Asian story doesn't add up, but they really need to publish their own data properly first.

tb
jiejie and nk15 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
That's the approach they did use on the DP, but since so many people are asymptomatic, it's not really that helpful. You should of course prioritise testing/ isolation of symptomatic individuals, but mostly to identify those with severe illness, to offer early supportive therapy. If you think symptomatic screening will identify cases, the DP (and the German Wuhan evacuees) shows that's not going to work.
Yes, I agree. I think for case finding to institute quarantine, temperature screening is futile. We now know people are infectious well before developing symptoms (if they develop any at all). RT-PCR testing is also pretty futile for tracing spread among individuals but I think it does have a role for population-based epidemiology and has proved to be quite informative (sadly, for the wrong reasons) aboard the Diamond Princess. But I think now the shift needs to move away from contact tracing/screening and saving RT-PCR testing capacity for those who have moderate/severe symptoms as there may be a role for this in prognosis/clinical decision making Re: intensive interventions (HDU/ICU etc).

Err, not true. Many people in severe disease need 'supportive care, which may be as simple as a smidge of oxygen, Without this support, your body will tend to spiral round the drain, but with support, it allows host immunity to eventually kick in (or not) and alter outcomes. Now, I can't say how outcomes would be altered without supportive care: it's pretty unethical to not give oxygen to someone who needs it, so those sorts of trials aren't really possible. But the majority of severe/non-critical survive, and the severe category are people who would be receiving things like oxygen or intra-venous fluid support. We know from other infections that these supportive measures do make a huge difference to outcomes, and I would suggest the same is true here.
tb
Exactly - it's all about buying time. Oxygen/bronchodilators/fluids/inotropes etc may not be disease modifying but they buy time for innate immunity to continue and adapative immunity (which can take several weeks) to begin. I think research now needs to focus on risk prediction - i.e. what are the risk factors which predispose to worse outcomes so that we can ensure people who are at high predicted risk have early access to good quality medical/intensive care and that healthcare systems are prepared with the right infrastructure for their populations.
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by doctoravios
Exactly - it's all about buying time. Oxygen/bronchodilators/fluids/inotropes etc may not be disease modifying but they buy time for innate immunity to continue and adapative immunity (which can take several weeks) to begin. I think research now needs to focus on risk prediction - i.e. what are the risk factors which predispose to worse outcomes so that we can ensure people who are at high predicted risk have early access to good quality medical/intensive care and that healthcare systems are prepared with the right infrastructure for their populations.
A more macabre place where we may end up if this all goes very badly wrong is to have two risk models: a) in the early stage of a pandemic, predictors of risk for very severe disease, and offer optimal supportive care. But once (and if) infrastructure starts to get overwhelmed, we may have to offer risk models of futility vs. likely recovery, and only offer supportive therapy to the latter. An absolutely horrid place to be, but something that's routinely done outside of the US.

tb
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Is there any data re the ages (and perhaps exacerbating conditions) of patients who’ve died? The high profile deaths like the medic and hospital chief in Wuhan suggest that even those 30-55 are at serious risk.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is there any data re the ages (and perhaps exacerbating conditions) of patients who’ve died? The high profile deaths like the medic and hospital chief in Wuhan suggest that even those 30-55 are at serious risk.
The number of deaths among those infected, known as the fatality rate, remains low but rises among those over 80 years old

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981
There is a chart in that article as well that shows fatalities by age group.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:55 am

Can you get 2 versions of Flu at the same time ?

Say you have an average case of the yearly flu , you are weak but can still walk and do daily things ,
Can you also get Covid-19 since you are already weak ?

And since this is Winter in Wuhan could that be why its killed so many ?
narvik and nk15 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A more macabre place where we may end up if this all goes very badly wrong is to have two risk models: a) in the early stage of a pandemic, predictors of risk for very severe disease, and offer optimal supportive care. But once (and if) infrastructure starts to get overwhelmed, we may have to offer risk models of futility vs. likely recovery, and only offer supportive therapy to the latter. An absolutely horrid place to be, but something that's routinely done outside of the US.

tb
I was thinking the same thing: Once we have a pandemic or severe epidemic (or the Wuhan situation, which in terms of numbers probably wouldn't qualify as an epidemic), instead of being able to maximize each patient's chance of survival (or a good outcome if there can be bad after effects or the disease or its treatment), we need to allocate scarce resources in a way that is most effective. Triage.

OTOH, when we discuss testing and screening, for example on the Wuhan Princess or in the Wuhan area, what's the goal? The goal of quarantine, to be brutal, is to protect the rest of the population and not necessarily to protect or improve the health of those being quarantined, although of course it would be unethical to just lock them up and wait to see who dies. Ideally, we'd like to protect the people being quarantined, including especially those who have not yet caught the disease (although unless it can be spread before symptoms appear, there's no reason to quarantine anyone who is certainly asymptomatic). For the Wuhan Princess, one strategy might have been to remove anyone showing symptoms (essentially giving them a presumptive diagnosis of WuFlu without any testing), isolate and treat the same as ordinary flu, perhaps testing if more aggressive treatment appears necessary. Then save the scarce testing capacity for asymptomatic individuals, perhaps giving priority to crew distributing meals or to passengers sharing rooms with multiple other occupants.

IMO much of the failure stems from lack of a clearly articulated goal and associated plan, combined of course with the face saving determination to release passengers after fourteen days regardless of any evidence about the spread of WuFlu. Another part of the problem seems to be that appropriate expertise wasn't consulted to help with decision making, including decisions about procedures to be followed by crew and lower level medical workers.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:00 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Improvised BioHazard suit.

Two Jetstar flight passengers in Australia wrapped themselves in plastic sheets amid fears of the coronavirus, viral footage shows.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/fliers...navirus-fears/

nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Two Jetstar flight passengers in Australia wrapped themselves in plastic sheets amid fears of the coronavirus, viral footage shows.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/fliers...navirus-fears/
https://twitter.com/Alyss423/status/1229972896371462144
Well, you can't get sick when you die of suffocation first.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Here we go... new development

Two Iranians die after testing positive for coronavirus: official

How did they die so quickly? Or were they sick before and no one thought to run tests on the virus on them?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Here:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

narvik and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:31 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Here we go... new development

Two Iranians die after testing positive for coronavirus: official

How did they die so quickly? Or were they sick before and no one thought to run tests on the virus on them?
This will be interesting to watch - especially the information Iran makes available regarding these two cases and additional cases when they occur.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by invisible

Thanks for that!

Still amazing that no kids died (same as for SARS).

Has there been more research into a possible connection to Measles/Rubella vaccinations and elevated immunity to COVID-19?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.