Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So I have a friend who spent the holiday in Yangzhou and then went to Nanning, and shortly thereafter vanished from online. Just messaged me tonight that they are safe but were sick and were quarantined. It appears once forcibly quarantined, they were cut off from the outside world and required to take medicine which they were not told what it was, and as they recovered, they were not told what they had - therefore they have no idea if they were infected with coronavirus or just had cold or flu. I’m now pretty certain the real numbers are being substantially fudged and there is a cover up occurring on a grand scale
Surprise Surprise....
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I’d say 75% of the people are wearing masks while the Govt said only wear masks if your are ill. 🤷‍♂️
So, Govt's recommendation is don't wear one until after one gets infected with something, at least a cold?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So I have a friend who spent the holiday in Yangzhou and then went to Nanning, and shortly thereafter vanished from online. Just messaged me tonight that they are safe but were sick and were quarantined. It appears once forcibly quarantined, they were cut off from the outside world and required to take medicine which they were not told what it was, and as they recovered, they were not told what they had - therefore they have no idea if they were infected with coronavirus or just had cold or flu. I’m now pretty certain the real numbers are being substantially fudged and there is a cover up occurring on a grand scale
Was your friend seriously ill? Because maybe he was not but they are not taking any chances. I have any employee who went through a similar experience. Changed trains in Wuhan before the New Year and her husband developed a fever and diarrhea two days later. Both were quarantined and tested for three days straight. After three days of negative tests they were allowed to leave. She never even had any symptoms for anything.

Your friend probably did not test positive for coronavirus, if he did they would certainly have told him and he would not be out so fast. I think the numbers are low because they are only reporting positive test reports and many people have simply not been tested. Look at the case of Dr Li, he was hospitalized for two weeks before they tested him and they all knew full well he had contracted the virus. I view the data as confirmation of those who tested positive, but if everyone was tested the numbers would be far higher, more in line with epidemiologists' projections . I have heard anyone who died before being tested has a cause of death of pneumonia or flu and not coronavirus. Not a conspiracy as much as inefficiency and inaccuracy from an overwhelmed bureaucracy.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Visconti
I'm making an assumption that if there are enough AA Pilots & crew refusing to fly into HKG for it to be an issue, there should be an amount of American Pilots & crew in both DL & UA who may feel the same. In my view, it's a safe assumption.
Except that AA currently has labor issues with the pilots (and other work groups) which make them more pre-disposed to bring up anything as an issue, much more so than at DL & UA. It doesn't mean that there aren't a similar number of concerned crew members at DL & UA just that we can't extrapolate from AA's numbers.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:51 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Pangolin may be link to coronavirus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ay/4688785002/

A Chinese university says scientists identified the heavily trafficked pangolin as a possible intermediary host of the new coronavirus while the number of new virus cases declined for a second day.

The coronavirus from China is believed to have originated in bats and transferred to humans through some other animal, health officials say. The pangolin may be that key link, researchers at South China Agricultural University said Friday

The research team tested more than 1,000 samples from wild animals and a found a 99% match between the genome sequences of viruses found in pangolins and those in human patients, the AFP reported, citing Chinese state media.

Apparently the pangolin are prized for their scales in use for TCM. The pangolin appears to be the closest animal to resembling a dragon. Also prized for their golden scales are Asian arowana by wealthy fish keepers. Similarly fruit bats
that resemble flying dragons. Seems there is a connection between dragon like creatures demand and this virus.

The breeder of these ghostly mutants, a Malaysian entrepreneur named Alan Teo, claimed that a prominent member of the Chinese Communist Party had recently bought one for $300,000.
https://nypost.com/2016/06/05/this-f...-worth-300000/

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Feb 7, 2020 at 10:14 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I spoke today with a work colleague in Wuhu (not Wujan). He and his family have been confined to their apartment for the past 10 days, which will continue through the weekend. Barring government action, he will return to work on Monday (I could certainly see the government forbidding this for another week or more).
My customers are starting to ask for status on supply issues from our plant in Wuhu, and also for our products made in Mexico that utilize parts made in China. One very major concern from me is a supplier that is located in Wujan. Supposed to return to work Monday, but I find that really hard to believe. But if they do I suppose that is a good sign.
If not, there will be many interruptions in commerce rippling throughout the world over the next weeks and months.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:16 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by MarkCron
I spoke today with a work colleague in Wuhu (not Wujan). He and his family have been confined to their apartment for the past 10 days, which will continue through the weekend. Barring government action, he will return to work on Monday (I could certainly see the government forbidding this for another week or more).
My customers are starting to ask for status on supply issues from our plant in Wuhu, and also for our products made in Mexico that utilize parts made in China. One very major concern from me is a supplier that is located in Wujan. Supposed to return to work Monday, but I find that really hard to believe. But if they do I suppose that is a good sign.
If not, there will be many interruptions in commerce rippling throughout the world over the next weeks and months.
Not sure if one of the requirements allowing workers to return on 2/10 is compulsory mask wearing.
Since there is a mask shortage and masks dont last forever...could be a stumbling block for return of workers.

Hon Hai Precision Industry Co.
told employees at its Shenzhen facility not to return to work when the extended Lunar New Year break ends Feb. 10, according to a memo obtained by Bloomberg News.Electronics giant Foxconn, maker of the Apple iPhone, is taking the unusual step of switching part of its production to making surgical masks.

The firm is also pushing to be allowed to reopen its regular production lines making electronics, which have been closed due to the coronavirus.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Next several days in Singapore will be... interesting.
I and yosithezet will continue this thread entertained.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
A business associate of mine just told me what a close friend of hers told her yesterday.

The person was visiting parents in Shandong province, in a relatively small city. They have a round-trip ticket YEG - China - YEG. On the way to the airport, there was a checkpoint on the city's outskirts. They were not allowed to leave the city. No symptoms. Not coming in, but leaving the city. Forced to return home, after which the local authorities put up a conspicuous sign on that family's front door to the effect of "this person is trying to run away".

What.the.actual...
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
A business associate of mine just told me what a close friend of hers told her yesterday.

The person was visiting parents in Shandong province, in a relatively small city. They have a round-trip ticket YEG - China - YEG. On the way to the airport, there was a checkpoint on the city's outskirts. They were not allowed to leave the city. No symptoms. Not coming in, but leaving the city. Forced to return home, after which the local authorities put up a conspicuous sign on that family's front door to the effect of "this person is trying to run away".

What.the.actual...
I'm surprised that these harassers in these local police departments (especially the ones who took the now deceased Dr. Li in for "questioning") have not been doxxed yet. As for this particular case, what did they hope to possibly accomplish? Imply that someone who had to catch a flight was infected with the virus without any evidence whatsoever?

Last edited by STS-134; Feb 7, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
New paper on potential in-hospital transmission.

All of the patients had confirmed pneumonia by CT. Astonishingly, 57/138 patients were healthcare workers and they were presumed to have been infected as part of their work...which is an extraordinary high rate. Several others were in hospital for other reasons initially and subsequently infected. Outcome data only available for 53 patients: 6 died and the rest recovered and discharged, which gives a mortality of ~11% of those either recovered or died, and overall mortality of 4% thus far. To put this in context, this is extremely similar mortality to those with proven pneumonia due to influenza, although to be fair, most of those (influenza) people would be much older. Another odd fact is that although 25% of the patients needed intensive care, only a small proportion needed high flow oxygen, so "ARDS" doesn't appear to be the major problem in some of these patients, although a lot of patients needed some oxygen therapy.

For sure, nCoV can cause a severe, life-threatening pneumonia. It's unclear at the moment what proportion of patients infected go on to get pneumonia. The general features of 'confirmed' cases suggests 20% of those in Hubei are "severe" and about 5-10% severe rest of mainland China. Less clear data on the ~300 patients overseas. I _suspect_ that when the dust is cleared, the overall mortality will be around 1% of all cases, or possibly even lower, since I suspect that the confirmed cases are biased towards more severe disease, but that's conjecture at this point.

tb
LapLap, nk15 and plunet like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:25 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Hubei reports another 81 dead and 2.8k new cases. Official numbers
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by trueblu
New paper on potential in-hospital transmission.

All of the patients had confirmed pneumonia by CT. Astonishingly, 57/138 patients were healthcare workers and they were presumed to have been infected as part of their work...which is an extraordinary high rate. Several others were in hospital for other reasons initially and subsequently infected.
tb
"affected health professionals (40 [29%]) and hospitalized patients (17 [12.3%])."

41% total in hospital transmission indeed sounds very high, they need to do something about that, although these may be earlier data before they realized how easily it gets transmitted.

So, do the drugs do anything?

Last edited by nk15; Feb 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:23 pm

Singapore: last evening there was an email sent to every employee our corporate office in Singapore requesting to fill travel declaration form documenting recent (14 days) travel to/from China, including transit, for both business/leisure. In the corresponding email it was said that request came from ministry of health and it was sent to every employer in Singapore.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:31 pm

People on that floating petri dish won't be happy

People who are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan have been wondering how long their isolation would last. On Friday, a health official gave an answer they might not like: the quarantine will be extended every time a new case of the Wuhan coronavirus is confirmed on the ship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.