Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AstraZ's vaccine is being reported as being something like 60% effective and 90% effective depending on which of the two research arms is examined. Not as highly effective as Pfizer-B's vaccine or the Moderna vaccine, but still effective enough to be very helpful.

I do have to wonder if some people will choose to get two different types of vaccines for this and how that will play out.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:46 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
AstraZenecca vaccine also is one jab and does not need anything special for storage as opposed to the two other needing -80 degrees Celsius. It has more potential for certain countries and can be distributed quicker.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fransknorge
AstraZenecca vaccine also is one jab and does not need anything special for storage as opposed to the two other needing -80 degrees Celsius. It has more potential for certain countries and can be distributed quicker.
The Pfizer-B and Moderna vaccines require a sequence of two vaccine shots per patient, and those mRNA vaccines do indeed have much more costly handling needs due to the hyper-specialized freezer needs. The AstraZ vaccine was developed with a different approach than the mRNA ones.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by fransknorge
AstraZenecca vaccine also is one jab ...
This article suggests it requires two doses, or am I reading something wrong?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/europ...ntl/index.html
hurnik likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dorisrpas

That article does indeed suggest AstraZ is also two shots: one approach involving half a dose shot followed by a full dose; alternative approach one full dose shot followed by another full dose shot some weeks later.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:10 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by dorisrpas

Correct. I misread.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
All of Oxford-AZN Phase 3 was done with 2 injections, the second injection 21 to 30 days after the first. There were two main subgoups here, one group (the larger one) got two full doses. The other group got a half dose and then a full dose for the second injection. This group was arranged because the immunity response to different dosing levels is a well known phenomena. The half + full group got 90% efficacy. the full + full doses group had 62%, the overall figure thus being 70%. That 70% figure may not be useful since there isn't an implementation method that would get you to 70%, the choices are 62% or 90%. Since 90% will require less vaccine while it is still under manufacture, then this is a good outcome in that it nearly doubles the first round of potential recipients.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That article does indeed suggest AstraZ is also two shots: one approach involving half a dose shot followed by a full dose; alternative approach one full dose shot followed by another full dose shot some weeks later.
Of course, the stupid question is:

Which one was 90% effective, and which one was 62%?

I could always assume, but you know what that makes out of me. But, if the half dose is really that much less effective, that does tell you something about reinfection probabilities as compared to severity of the illness, yes?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:36 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
All of Oxford-AZN Phase 3 was done with 2 injections, the second injection 21 to 30 days after the first. There were two main subgoups here, one group (the larger one) got two full doses. The other group got a half dose and then a full dose for the second injection. This group was arranged because the immunity response to different dosing levels is a well known phenomena. The half + full group got 90% efficacy. the full + full doses group had 62%, the overall figure thus being 70%. That 70% figure may not be useful since there isn't an implementation method that would get you to 70%, the choices are 62% or 90%. Since 90% will require less vaccine while it is still under manufacture, then this is a good outcome in that it nearly doubles the first round of potential recipients.
I've read a hypothesis on the 0.5+1 dosing vs the 1+1 dosing being more effective because of an immune response to the adenovirus vector. Essentially, the 1+1 dosing generates a too strong immune response to viral vector in the full first does so that the second booster is less effective.

Is that an issue with other viral vector vaccines?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TTT
I've read a hypothesis on the 0.5+1 dosing vs the 1+1 dosing being more effective because of an immune response to the adenovirus vector. Essentially, the 1+1 dosing generates a too strong immune response to viral vector in the full first does so that the second booster is less effective.

Is that an issue with other viral vector vaccines?
Potentially yes, but there are only 2 other viral vector vaccines in Phase 3 at the moment, Johnson & Johnson and, um, Sputnik V. These two are non-replicating, whereas Oxford-AZN is a replication-deficient viral vector vaccine. Pfizer and Moderna are messenger RNA so have a different approach. There are more viral vector vaccines in Phase 1.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:33 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Potentially yes, but there are only 2 other viral vector vaccines in Phase 3 at the moment, Johnson & Johnson and, um, Sputnik V. These two are non-replicating, whereas Oxford-AZN is a replication-deficient viral vector vaccine. Pfizer and Moderna are messenger RNA so have a different approach. There are more viral vector vaccines in Phase 1.
I'm more curious about experience from vaccines for other diseases. Does viral vector immunity impact those?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryman554
Of course, the stupid question is:

Which one was 90% effective, and which one was 62%?

I could always assume, but you know what that makes out of me. But, if the half dose is really that much less effective, that does tell you something about reinfection probabilities as compared to severity of the illness, yes?
The half-dose+full dose came off as being significantly more effective (i.e. c. 90% effectiveness) than full dose+full dose (i.e. c 62% effectiveness).
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by TTT
I'm more curious about experience from vaccines for other diseases. Does viral vector immunity impact those?
Yes, the similar vaccine for pulmonary tuberculosis has shown in trials that different - and often lower - doses can improve efficacy. The idea is to mimic how natural immunity works, which is sometimes compared to waves of different strengths, ebbing and flowing.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:13 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the similar vaccine for pulmonary tuberculosis has shown in trials that different - and often lower - doses can improve efficacy. The idea is to mimic how natural immunity works, which is sometimes compared to waves of different strengths, ebbing and flowing.
Thanks - that's a good explanation.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The half-dose+full dose came off as being significantly more effective (i.e. c. 90% effectiveness) than full dose+full dose (i.e. c 62% effectiveness).
According to the AstraZeneca press release, about 2,700 persons got half dose+full dose. Not sure what the infection rate of the control group was, but with the Pfizer trial, it was less than 0.5%. This would mean 13 infected persons out of 2,700. A 90% effective vaccine would mean one infection per 2,700 people, a 70% effective vaccine would mean 4 infections. Doesn't seem statistically significant to me... looks more like a fluke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.