Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
Yes, that's how it has worked for me and for others who have reported here. The charge posts as an additional fee, which triggers the AmEx credit. I haven't figured out exactly how AA's system decides how many miles to offer, but the cost seems to be fixed at 3.2 cents per mile (at least for every one of my offers), and the miles are usually offered in multiples of the trip distance rounded up to something. The miles themselves are non-refundable, so it's fine to cancel and refund the trip that triggered the offer; you still get the miles and the AmEx credit.
Yes, I just booked a refundable ticket and see an mileage mult option @ around 3.2 cents per mile (spot on). I think AA miles are around 1.2-1.4 cents worth, so its pretty poor value for the AMEX credit but better than nothing !
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by lv.onlythebrave
... its pretty poor value for the AMEX credit but better than nothing !
Buying miles from AA means you'll be mostly having AmEx pay AA, while collecting a small tip for yourself. The alternative is not necessarily nothing for yourself -- you can choose another airline. That would require that you learn what expenses with other airlines can be reimbursed. On the plus side, you might be able to find much better use for the AmEx benefit.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Buying miles from AA means you'll be mostly having AmEx pay AA, while collecting a small tip for yourself. The alternative is not necessarily nothing for yourself -- you can choose another airline. That would require that you learn what expenses with other airlines can be reimbursed. On the plus side, you might be able to find much better use for the AmEx benefit.
Your suggestions are not valid here, I cannot change airline before my AMEX credit expire in Dec. When I chose AA as preferred airlines, AA GC were possible but I did not used the credit. Offcourse, I will make a better choice starting next year.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:08 am

Your suggestions are not valid here, I cannot change airline before my AMEX credit expire in Dec. When I chose AA as preferred airlines, AA GC were possible but I did not used the credit. Offcourse, I will make a better choice starting next year.
Sure you can. Start a chat session and ask the rep. Hey will make the change in under 5 minutes.

TD
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:15 am

I cannot change airline before my AMEX credit expire in Dec. ...
Ok, I understand your predicament. If your reimbursement benefit is entirely unused however, it might still be worth a try. There are many successful DP's of changing airlines outside the normal period.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:59 am

Your suggestions are not valid here, I cannot change airline before my AMEX credit expire in Dec.
I think if you pick up the phone and call Amex, you'll find that this isn't true.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I think if you pick up the phone and call Amex, you'll find that this isn't true.
No need to even do that! I changed mine via chat.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Ok, I understand your predicament. If your reimbursement benefit is entirely unused however, it might still be worth a try. There are many successful DP's of changing airlines outside the normal period.
Yes, I even did it when it was partially used on one of my Plat cards. I was very pleasantly surprised that they allowed it. I had originally selected UA and had $81 credit left. Was flying earlier this month with JetBlue so I asked them nicely via chat if its possible to change and was told yes! The whole thing took like 3 minutes. Charge on JetBlue made that same day, credit posted 2 days later and voila, my entire credit was used up.

Now I have a PRG that I don't know which airline to use the $100 bucks for...
MaxVO and 355F1 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:36 am

I never knew AMEX would allow changing airlines. Thats great data point and makes it bit easier for me to utilize the credit effectively. Thank for data point, might be worth putting in wiki.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Based on what I've read over the years it's officially not allowed once you use part of it, but I figured I have nothing to lose by asking. Worst they can say is no and I need to wait for 1/1/2020. I'm so glad the rep was kind enough to allow the change, it was most likely an exception to the rule. Only thing I'm worried about is that if it becomes very prevalent they will stop doing it even as an exception.

I wish they would make the credit work like the one on the CSR. This whole Airline selection business and its limited uses makes it such a headache.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
...I wish they would make the credit work like the one on the CSR. This whole Airline selection business and its limited uses makes it such a headache.
Agreed, why is AMEX making it difficult to use these credits. Most people keep their card only because of this credit. Probably, focus on people who scam them with their benefits.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Based on what I've read over the years it's officially not allowed once you use part of it, but I figured I have nothing to lose by asking. Worst they can say is no and I need to wait for 1/1/2020. I'm so glad the rep was kind enough to allow the change, it was most likely an exception to the rule. Only thing I'm worried about is that if it becomes very prevalent they will stop doing it even as an exception.

I wish they would make the credit work like the one on the CSR. This whole Airline selection business and its limited uses makes it such a headache.
100% agree. I don't see why they can't have it work for all airlines. Would make it far more useful for people who travel primarily international. As it is between the plat, Aspire and gold card I am going to start dropping cards because they made using the airline credit soo difficult. Probably will only keep the gold going forward where before they made the changes I had planned on keeping all three.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
This whole Airline selection business and its limited uses makes it such a headache.
Agreed, why is AMEX making it difficult to use these credits.
Originally Posted by Red259
100% agree. I don't see why they can't have it work for all airlines. Would make it far more useful for people who travel primarily international.
My guess is AmEx wants to dangle something shiny to entice people, but make it enough of a hassle and have enough exclusions that they don't have to pay much. It's the same reasoning behind rebates: entice people to buy something but require them to jump through hoops so some percentage won't have to be paid.

Originally Posted by Red259
As it is between the plat, Aspire and gold card I am going to start dropping cards because they made using the airline credit soo difficult. Probably will only keep the gold going forward where before they made the changes I had planned on keeping all three.
I'm seriously considering dropping the AmEx Platinum because AmEx dropped the Priority Pass restaurant credit (was really useful to grab a meal or snack in airport terminals), restricted Centurion Lounge to departures only, and made left me with no good options for the $200 airline fee credit. I'm thinking about the Chase Sapphire or whichever card provides Priority Pass with restaurant credit, car rental, trip delay, etc.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I had to change one of my nonrefundable ticket last month so ended up paying $200 change fee plus difference in airfare.

The charge posted as airfare in its entirety. Called Amex Plat line a month later and asked for $200 credit and explained it included the change fee. The customer service rep said he needed an authorization from his superior and put me on hold for about 2 minutes. Came back and said it was approved and the credit showed up on line right away. Never asked for proof but I suspect they can see more details in the transaction that what's posted online or printed in the statement.

The one thing that bugged me more... between the charge last month ($200 change fee plus airfare difference) and the time I called Amex, I actually had 3 more AA fees posted on my Plat account... #1 was an inflight food purchase, #2 was I purchase 2,000 miles to top up for a mileage award ticket, #3 was the ticketing fee for that mileage award. All three were clearly marked as either non-airfare purchase or fees but Amex didn't automatically apply the credit. I didn't bother asking why this was the case because I ended up getting my credit from the change fee.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:53 am

$5.60 award ticket fee charged on Nov 9th. Not reimbursed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.