Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:50 pm

Hi there, I also made a MM purchase but I didn't get a confirmation at end of transaction, but the pending charge went through, no mileage credit to my account... how long does it take for the MM purchase to show up? Also note that I have used up my 150,000 purchase limit, does the MM purchase count toward that limit ? and that why I don't see the points in my account? Please help. Thank you.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by catcathk
Hi there, I also made a MM purchase but I didn't get a confirmation at end of transaction, but the pending charge went through, no mileage credit to my account... how long does it take for the MM purchase to show up? Also note that I have used up my 150,000 purchase limit, does the MM purchase count toward that limit ? and that why I don't see the points in my account? Please help. Thank you.
For starters is there a pending charge to your credit card? If not you know it for sure didn't go through.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:34 pm

Hello Friedablass, thank you for helping, yes there's a pending charge on my card.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:46 am

MCE and First Class seat change covered under Airline Credit

Hello, I'm not sure if this has been done before, but Amex Chat confirmed that changing to MCE and also changing to a First Class Seat with American Airlines would qualify the Airline Credit(I referred to my Aspire card in the chat)

Here is the log. Sorry it looks jumbled. Does this mean that I should be able to change without worry? Will Amex honor this chat if it doesn't qualify?

Today

Hi Kevin, how can I help you today? Virtual Assistant - 1:29 PM

Hello, For the AMEX airline credit, does seat changing to Main Cabin Extra count under seat assignment or upgrade? I am getting mixed signals when looking for the answer You - 1:30 PM

Philip has joined the conversation

This would be with American Airlines You - 1:30 PM

HI Kevin.Philip - 1:31 PM

I completely understand your concern. Let me quickly pull up your account to check on this for you. Philip - 1:31 PM

hello Philip You - 1:31 PM

Checking it for you. Philip - 1:31 PM

Could you please provide the last 5 digits of the card number you are referring to. Philip - 1:32 PM

XXXXX (THIS IS THE ASPIRE CARD) You - 1:32 PM

I haven't used it yet for this...I wanted to check before hand to see.You - 1:33 PM

Okay. Thank you for confirming. Philip - 1:33 PM

Yes, seat changing will come under Seat assignment fees which is eligible and will receive Airline fee credit benefit .Philip - 1:34 PM

You can be assured on it. Philip - 1:34 PM

Hope that information helps. Philip - 1:34 PM

While I was reviewing your account for the information, I see you have been our valued Card Member since 2018. We really appreciate you for that and thank you for being with us. Philip - 1:34 PM

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? Philip - 1:34 PM

It does Help. Thank you. Hypothetically changing to First Class on flight would not count ?You - 1:34 PM

It will count. Philip - 1:35 PM

Ok. So the initial booking for the ticket does not count, but any changes made to the ticket after does qualify, does that sum it up correctly?You - 1:36 PM

Thank you for confirming all of this You - 1:37 PM

You're absolutely correct. Any seat change or assignment fees will be eligible only ticket upgrades will not be eligible .Philip - 1:37 PM

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? Philip - 1:37 PM

I'm confused, would choosing a first class seat be considered a ticket upgrade or an assignment fee? You - 1:38 PM

It would be considered as Seat assignment fee as you are choosing seat on flight.Philip - 1:38 PM

You have my word on it.Philip - 1:38 PM

Ok. Thank you for clarifying.You - 1:38 PM

Have a great day You - 1:38 PM

You are always welcome.

It was my pleasure to assist you today. Thank you for choosing American Express, please click on the X in the top right of the chat window to complete our Exit Survey.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
If they didn't automatically credit you, I would definitely refer back to this transcript to make sure it happens.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
If they didn't automatically credit you, I would definitely refer back to this transcript to make sure it happens.
I haven't actually went on the flight yet...I booked a last minute flight for NYE which I'm taking on December 30th. TBH, I recently signed up for the Aspire when there was a short period where the AF was waived and I didn't realize the Aspire came with the airline credit.

It does seem that you can't ticket change to first class thru the website, so I went ahead and did the MCE on my flights. I'm going to check the day of/before to see if the option pops up. I usually fly United, so I'm unsure how AA works.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin Delawder
Hello, I'm not sure if this has been done before, but Amex Chat confirmed that changing to MCE and also changing to a First Class Seat with American Airlines would qualify the Airline Credit(I referred to my Aspire card in the chat)

Here is the log. Sorry it looks jumbled. Does this mean that I should be able to change without worry? Will Amex honor this chat if it doesn't qualify?

Today

Hi Kevin, how can I help you today? Virtual Assistant - 1:29 PM

Hello, For the AMEX airline credit, does seat changing to Main Cabin Extra count under seat assignment or upgrade? I am getting mixed signals when looking for the answer You - 1:30 PM

Philip has joined the conversation

This would be with American Airlines You - 1:30 PM

HI Kevin.Philip - 1:31 PM

I completely understand your concern. Let me quickly pull up your account to check on this for you. Philip - 1:31 PM

hello Philip You - 1:31 PM

Checking it for you. Philip - 1:31 PM

Could you please provide the last 5 digits of the card number you are referring to. Philip - 1:32 PM

XXXXX (THIS IS THE ASPIRE CARD) You - 1:32 PM

I haven't used it yet for this...I wanted to check before hand to see.You - 1:33 PM

Okay. Thank you for confirming. Philip - 1:33 PM

Yes, seat changing will come under Seat assignment fees which is eligible and will receive Airline fee credit benefit .Philip - 1:34 PM

You can be assured on it. Philip - 1:34 PM

Hope that information helps. Philip - 1:34 PM

While I was reviewing your account for the information, I see you have been our valued Card Member since 2018. We really appreciate you for that and thank you for being with us. Philip - 1:34 PM

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? Philip - 1:34 PM

It does Help. Thank you. Hypothetically changing to First Class on flight would not count ?You - 1:34 PM

It will count. Philip - 1:35 PM

Ok. So the initial booking for the ticket does not count, but any changes made to the ticket after does qualify, does that sum it up correctly?You - 1:36 PM

Thank you for confirming all of this You - 1:37 PM

You're absolutely correct. Any seat change or assignment fees will be eligible only ticket upgrades will not be eligible .Philip - 1:37 PM

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? Philip - 1:37 PM

I'm confused, would choosing a first class seat be considered a ticket upgrade or an assignment fee? You - 1:38 PM

It would be considered as Seat assignment fee as you are choosing seat on flight.Philip - 1:38 PM

You have my word on it.Philip - 1:38 PM

Ok. Thank you for clarifying.You - 1:38 PM

Have a great day You - 1:38 PM

You are always welcome.

It was my pleasure to assist you today. Thank you for choosing American Express, please click on the X in the top right of the chat window to complete our Exit Survey.
It depends how you change it. If you can change it without them billing it as a ticket reissue, then yes. If you change it, however, in a way that causes them to bill it as a new ticket, then it won't count.

For example, a miles + copay upgrade does count in my and others' experience, because the way AA bills the copay doesn't look like a ticket purchase to Amex. But I'm not sure how a paid upgrade would look to Amex (and I'm never sure if there aren't multiple different ways to do a paid upgrade, and if so whether different ways of doing paid upgrades may be billed differently by AA)..

So it all depends on how the billing by looks to Amex as to whether it counts. Amex doesn't know how you're going to change your seat to first class, so that why they kept saying that if it's done as a seat selection it will count but it's done as a new ticket billing (with origin-destination airport info in it) it won't count.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:55 am

Has anyone tried using the credit for the status boost offer when you’re short of qualifying for the next level of status and can ‘buy up’ to it?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:27 am

there is mention here of buying one time passes to AA clubs. AA's web site says the passes aren't purchasable online. Does anyone know another way to get them?

Also can I assume that purchases on aabrandstore.com (which is actually overture promotions) don't count?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MrAOK
there is mention here of buying one time passes to AA clubs. AA's web site says the passes aren't purchasable online. Does anyone know another way to get them?
One day passes are available for purchase at many clubs. If you’re not buying them for day of travel use, be aware that clubs do not have to accept one day passes. Airports where an AA club is undergoing renovation have standing restrictions and other clubs periodically post “no day pass” signs when there are capacity constraints anticipated. And the passes expire one year after purchase I believe.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Mileage Multiplier purchased 12.11.2019, reimbursed 12.16.2019.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Purchased two 500-mile upgrade credits via AA.com on Dec 13. No credit yet.

AA processed the transaction with a PNR and a ticket number. I have a bad feeling Amex sees this as an $80 flight.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
Has anyone tried using the credit for the status boost offer when you’re short of qualifying for the next level of status and can ‘buy up’ to it?
Good news on that front, as I think I'm the first DP on this. I used a combination of mostly miles but also a little more than $120 in cash for the PLAT boost. The transaction posted on 12/13. The meter just took out the $120 that I had left in incidentals credit this morning.
GTITAN and SKooT1027 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:47 am

Couple of additional DPs here, no surprises:
  • Same Day Flight Change (SDFC) purchased Nov 30th, reimbursed Dec 6th
  • Mileage Multiplier purchased Dec 7th, reimbursed Dec 13th (small one, approx. $20)
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
Good news on that front, as I think I'm the first DP on this. I used a combination of mostly miles but also a little more than $120 in cash for the PLAT boost. The transaction posted on 12/13. The meter just took out the $120 that I had left in incidentals credit this morning.
Thanks and great data point. How did you split payment to use both miles and card? I have multiple credits to use and curious if I can split payment over two cards, but the website only offers all miles or all one card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.