Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
For those who have redeemed their AMEX credit on Main Cabin Extra, did you do it through the website in advance or once at the airport. Was trying to find out if AMEX would deny offering credit if it were purchased through the website in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:19 am

Has anyone tried purchasing an American Airlines Elite Status Boost for the following year and know whether that triggers the AMEX credit?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:26 am

Booked a Saver award using AA points. Do I understand correctly that upgrading to MCE at $118 for Flight #1 and MCE for at $78 for Flight #2 will trigger the Aspire credit?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
For those who have redeemed their AMEX credit on Main Cabin Extra, did you do it through the website in advance or once at the airport. Was trying to find out if AMEX would deny offering credit if it were purchased through the website in advance.
I did it through the website in advance - but separately, after booking the flight and selecting a free main cabin seat originally. Amex credit kicked in automatically after several days (took a bit longer than expected, though).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Any recent reports of reimbursements for the AAdmirals Club renewal fee? Should I pay at the Club or on-line?
I am EXP so all my incidental fees are covered by AA anyway, no need for stickers and miles through mileage multiplier...as I have plenty of both.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I did it online after the original booking. Credits posted 5 days later.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't in the wiki, but in-flight meal/beverage purchases should definitely trigger reimbursement, as these purchases are specifically listed in the AMEX rules. I have a small amount of money left from my AMEX Platinum credit, and I plan to spend it that way next month. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be much else to spend it on these days. The "mileage multiplier" rate is so bad I'm not willing to take the chance of not getting reimbursed.

A couple weeks ago, I bought cheap (under $300) "basic economy" tickets to Europe for next summer. These tickets don't allow for free seat assignments (even for elites), but I could get the two seats along the window on an A330 (near the back) for about $12 each. Cheapest I've ever seen on AA. That seemed like a good use of the credit -- otherwise you have to risk random seat assignments on an 8 hour flight -- and it was promptly reimbursed.

I don't know what to do for next year. I do fly Frontier about 3 times a year when they offer $25 fares and such on short hauls. I don't buy their ancillary services, but I guess I might get some benefit from bringing a free-carry on and such. And I suppose I could buy in-flight food from them, too. Seems like it could be more useful to me than taking the AA credit again. A hard call. This benefit just isn't very valuable any more.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:42 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
The "mileage multiplier" rate is so bad I'm not willing to take the chance of not getting reimbursed.
I agree that the mileage multiplier rate is horrible, but I don’t believe there’s any risk of not getting reimbursed. I haven’t seen DPs of non-reimbursement, and I have been reimbursed several times (the most recent being last week).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hp12c
I agree that the mileage multiplier rate is horrible, but I don’t believe there’s any risk of not getting reimbursed. I haven’t seen DPs of non-reimbursement, and I have been reimbursed several times (the most recent being last week).
Is the reimbursement taking a little longer recently? I put in a mileage multiplier on 11/15 for $54.37. It posted on the 17th. No reimbursement yet and the tracker on my Amex Gold page says that I still have $100 credit to use by December 31st.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:12 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
Is the reimbursement taking a little longer recently? I put in a mileage multiplier on 11/15 for $54.37. It posted on the 17th. No reimbursement yet and the tracker on my Amex Gold page says that I still have $100 credit to use by December 31st.
My charge posted on the 12th, and reimbursement posted on the 15th.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by eajusa
It took four business days for me. The 17th was a Sunday, so I'd give it at least until Friday the 22nd.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Any recent reports of reimbursements for the AAdmirals Club renewal fee? Should I pay at the Club or on-line?
I am EXP so all my incidental fees are covered by AA anyway, no need for stickers and miles through mileage multiplier...as I have plenty of both.
Either is ok. I do mine in the club so that they can split the payment method.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
It took four business days for me. The 17th was a Sunday, so I'd give it at least until Friday the 22nd.
Yes, The reimbursement posted today.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Ha. $5.60 Award fee was credited back today.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by zoin16
Has anyone tried purchasing an American Airlines Elite Status Boost for the following year and know whether that triggers the AMEX credit?
I did it this year - got automatically reimbursed. That said, it was January 2019, so I can't 100 % confirm that it will work for this elite year, in case it is posting differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.