Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
Do you have AA travel planned for 2020? You could buy an Admiral's Club membership for $550-$650 depending on your status and get a good chunk of it reimbursed. If you have family or friends that are traveling this year you can have them use your card at OLCI to pay for checked bags or seat assignments and get them reimbursed (You don't need to be the one flying).
No AA travel planned in near future and dont think I would be able to utilize Admiral club membership, and i have PLAT for other purposes. Really, want to utilize the $250, amex is making it unnecessarily harder to use, they should rather give points worth $250.
Any other way?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by lv.onlythebrave
No AA travel planned in near future and dont think I would be able to utilize Admiral club membership, and i have PLAT for other purposes. Really, want to utilize the $250, amex is making it unnecessarily harder to use, they should rather give points worth $250.
Any other way?
You can buy 500-mile upgrades which don't expire.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by rrgg
That is what I did....
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:56 pm

That option is only for AA elite members.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
That option is only for AA elite members.
OK, but I was responding to lv.onlythebrave who said his status is platinum.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:52 am

OK, but I was responding to lv.onlythebrave who said his status is platinum.
They mentioned "PLAT" in connection to lounge access, and not flying AA. I assumed it refered to the CC, but it was vague.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Any other way?
As described just a few posts above yours, and as mentioned in the Wiki, you can buy miles using the Mileage Multiplier option. As far as purchasing miles for cash, it's a lousy value at about 3.2 cents per miles, but as a way to get something of value out of the airline fee credit, it's worth it. You can buy a refundable ticket, or buy a non-refundable ticket for travel more than two weeks away so it is cancelable within 24 hours for a full refund. Once it tickets, there will be a Mileage Multiplier option when viewing the itinerary. Use that to buy miles using the AmEx card. Right afterwards, cancel the itinerary. The distance of the trip seems to influence the number of miles offered via Mileage Multiplier.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I currently have AA Gold (promotional) so I can buy the 500-mile upgrades but will they take them away when my status expires in about a month? If not, will I be able to use them as a member with no status.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
They mentioned "PLAT" in connection to lounge access, and not flying AA. I assumed it refered to the CC, but it was vague.
Yes, I meant AMEX PLAT :-)
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
As described just a few posts above yours, and as mentioned in the Wiki, you can buy miles using the Mileage Multiplier option. As far as purchasing miles for cash, it's a lousy value at about 3.2 cents per miles, but as a way to get something of value out of the airline fee credit, it's worth it. You can buy a refundable ticket, or buy a non-refundable ticket for travel more than two weeks away so it is cancelable within 24 hours for a full refund. Once it tickets, there will be a Mileage Multiplier option when viewing the itinerary. Use that to buy miles using the AmEx card. Right afterwards, cancel the itinerary. The distance of the trip seems to influence the number of miles offered via Mileage Multiplier.
This seems to be a good option to get miles which I can utilize for flying later. So the greater the distance, the higher the miles offered and I can make large purchase as well?
For example if miles offered as mileage multiplier are worth $300, I can go ahead and charge them on AMEX to get $250 credited?

Thanks much!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I currently have AA Gold (promotional) so I can buy the 500-mile upgrades but will they take them away when my status expires in about a month? If not, will I be able to use them as a member with no status.
They won't take them away, but they'll be unusable until you have status again. (Edited to add: I thought maybe if an elite is on your PNR they could be used, but I've never done that and don't think it works from reading this.)

Last edited by rrgg; Nov 13, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

This seems to be a good option to get miles which I can utilize for flying later. So the greater the distance, the higher the miles offered and I can make large purchase as well?
For example if miles offered as mileage multiplier are worth $300, I can go ahead and charge them on AMEX to get $250 credited?
Yes, that's how it has worked for me and for others who have reported here. The charge posts as an additional fee, which triggers the AmEx credit. I haven't figured out exactly how AA's system decides how many miles to offer, but the cost seems to be fixed at 3.2 cents per mile (at least for every one of my offers), and the miles are usually offered in multiples of the trip distance rounded up to something. The miles themselves are non-refundable, so it's fine to cancel and refund the trip that triggered the offer; you still get the miles and the AmEx credit.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:53 pm

They won't take them away, but they'll be unusable until you have status again. (Edited to add: I thought maybe if an elite is on your PNR they could be used, but I've never done that and don't think it works from reading this.)
Thanks for responding.

So not worth it for me because AA status ain't happening for me unless they give me another promotion somewhere down the line which I have no way of predicting.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
So not worth it for me because AA status ain't happening for me unless they give me another promotion somewhere down the line which I have no way of predicting.
Even if you have status, 500-mile (segment) upgrades are notoriously difficult to use, since unsold domestic first class seats have become more scarce, and since AA prioritizes upgrade requests by status (CK, EXP, PP, PLT, GLD) and by rolling EQD within each status group. If you're not a high-spending CK or high-spending EXP on a flight without CKs, you're probably not going to get an upgrade, and if you are then segment upgrades are only needed to upgrade companions on the same record.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Even if you have status, 500-mile (segment) upgrades are notoriously difficult to use, since unsold domestic first class seats have become more scarce, and since AA prioritizes upgrade requests by status (CK, EXP, PP, PLT, GLD) and by rolling EQD within each status group. If you're not a high-spending CK or high-spending EXP on a flight without CKs, you're probably not going to get an upgrade, and if you are then segment upgrades are only needed to upgrade companions on the same record.
Got it 😀, so it's a bad use of my fee whichever way you slice it. I'll have to think of something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.