Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by mia
On which airline? We have a separate thread for each:

AA Thread
AS Thread
B6 Thread
DL Thread
HA Thread
UA Thread
WN Thread
AMEX FB page mentioned Southwest Airlines which no FT thread exists.
Person bought two refundable tickets under $100.00 on SWA(their designated airline) and full refund of first ticket(499.00) then partial ($16.15)on second since they had hit their $200.00 airline AMEX credit. FT has no SWA thread.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by euromannn
Person bought two refundable tickets under $100.00 on SWA(their designated airline) and full refund of first ticket(499.00) then partial ($16.15)on second since they had hit their $200.00 airline AMEX credit. FT has no SWA thread.
euromannn FT thread exists. WN is code for Southwest Airlines. See link below as was posted previously.

Originally Posted by mia
On which airline? We have a separate thread for each:

WN Thread
euromannn and sdsearch like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by euromannn
Two refundable tickets on SWA under $100, how did they get $499 back on the first ticket? Did they refund the SWA tickets after AmEx credited the $200? Wouldn't AmEx claw back the $200 if the purchase was refunded?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:30 pm

4 is the number under the $ sign is what makes sense here
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Two refundable tickets on SWA under $100, how did they get $499 back on the first ticket? Did they refund the SWA tickets after AmEx credited the $200? Wouldn't AmEx claw back the $200 if the purchase was refunded?

Last edited by euromannn; Oct 25, 2019 at 12:06 am
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Segments
euromannn FT thread exists. WN is code for Southwest Airlines. See link below as was posted previously.
Ok......I'll post to WN thread.

Check post #2291 in WN thread

HINT:
1. Tickets were NOT refundable
2. Two $99.30 tickets on SWA reimbursed no GC required (multiple people reporting.).
3. I'll post on WN thread(thanks).

Last edited by euromannn; Oct 25, 2019 at 12:16 am
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:04 am

Think my question got buried...would people say Admirals Club day pass is a worthwhile use of the credit? I don't otherwise have status with AA or entry to AC with a card.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by pennystinkard
Think my question got buried...would people say Admirals Club day pass is a worthwhile use of the credit? I don't otherwise have status with AA or entry to AC with a card.
YMMV. Which club location, time of day, day of week, how long will you use the lounge.... Question is, would you otherwise purchase a day pass if not for the credit? If you don’t have anything else to spend the credit on, then sure. But if you wouldn’t otherwise consider a day pass, then better options may exist.

Which airport and when is important as you as you are not guaranteed a right to purchase a day pass.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:40 am

Airports are LAX, DCA or IAD, and maybe JFK. What would you say based on this?

I wouldn't otherwise consider a day pass if not for the credit. But I already have a healthy amount of AA miles without any immediate means of using them due to lack of award availability, so I'm not sure Mileage Multiplier is worthwhile (versus a tangible immediate benefit of entering the AC club).
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:35 pm

Airports are LAX, DCA or IAD, and maybe JFK. What would you say based on this?

I wouldn't otherwise consider a day pass if not for the credit. But I already have a healthy amount of AA miles without any immediate means of using them due to lack of award availability, so I'm not sure Mileage Multiplier is worthwhile (versus a tangible immediate benefit of entering the AC club).
In your situation, a day pass may make sense, especially if you can use it at more than one airport.

By the way, regarding redeeming your mileage stash, my recommendation would be to consider partner awards, especially J on QR or F on CX or JL (or QF if you can find it).
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
In your situation, a day pass may make sense, especially if you can use it at more than one airport.

By the way, regarding redeeming your mileage stash, my recommendation would be to consider partner awards, especially J on QR or F on CX or JL (or QF if you can find it).
Oh, so I could get a day pass at LAX and then use it upon landing at DCA/IAD? Would I get one by just walking into an AC at the airport, or is there a way to get one online before my flight?

That's precisely my problem - I've been trying to redeem J on QR for a year now with no luck finding ex-USA flights for the times I need. Going to try this winter but I have no real hope of it working out, availability wise, since QR seems to do random black outs now.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Oh, so I could get a day pass at LAX and then use it upon landing at DCA/IAD? Would I get one by just walking into an AC at the airport, or is there a way to get one online before my flight?
Yes, my understanding is that an Admiral's Club day pass allows you to use any AC that day, so you can use it both at departing and arriving airports (or potentially more, if flying multiple hops the same day).

The online rules don't explicitly address this, but that's been my understanding ever since AA started selling day passes.

The online rules say:

Where you can go

Domestic and international Admirals Club locations (based on lounge capacity)

Available at select locations for $59. Excludes airports with clubs currently under construction:
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • Philadelphia (PHL)
You can't buy passes online.

To enter

Items needed:

• Government-issued photo ID
  • One-Day Pass
  • Boarding passes for same-day travel on American or partner airlines1
1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworldŽ partner carrier, marketed and operated by American Airlines or Alaska Airlines in any combination

Guest access

Up to 3 children under 18 (if accompanied by adult day-pass holder)

That's precisely my problem - I've been trying to redeem J on QR for a year now with no luck finding ex-USA flights for the times I need. Going to try this winter but I have no real hope of it working out, availability wise, since QR seems to do random black outs now.
Be sure to check all the airports QR flies from. As an example, I've found much better availability on IAD than JFK or LAX, and somewhat better at ORD. I've seen decent availability in F on JL, with limited (one seat per flight) on CX.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Does the AC sell day passes even if you are not flying AA?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Does the AC sell day passes even if you are not flying AA?
If you're flying a OW airline that day, then I would assume an AC pass can be sold and would be valid.

But if you're flying, say, UA to IAD, then I think you can't use an AC pass that day.

You should research the AC rules over in the AA forum to make sure, because they're tightened up recently.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:19 pm

I recently had 4 AA charges for seat upgrades and Admirals Club day passes. The total for the 4 separate charges was under $250. 3 of the 4 charges were reimbursed. One was not. I opened a chat with Amex, and he verified the reimbursement should have gone through. He gave me the credit, and I see it has been deducted from my bill.
Just a reminder to check you bill each month carefully, even when you know you're going to get a credit, sometimes they slip up.
sdsearch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.