Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:21 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 355F1
Are the credits once per annual year or anniversary date year?
They are per calendar (which is what I assume you mean by annual) year.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:18 am

DP: Redeemed miles for a flight on EY, $41.15 was reimbursed (taxes and fees), $75 ticketing fee was not reimbursed, $91 charges to share miles was not reimbursed.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Maybe not the most amazing ways to spend the credit, but just experimenting to see what works...

$96.76 bonus mile purchase (edit: clarified - mileage multiplier / boost after ticket purchase): reimbursed, and got 5x bonus on it (or at least still listing as 'pending' until this statement payment clears).

$80.00 in 500 mile upgrades: same as above
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by jerseytom; Nov 6, 2019 at 6:54 am
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You mean the regular points sale? Or this mileage multiplier thing?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
You mean the regular points sale? Or this mileage multiplier thing?
If you were replying to my comment, I've since edited the post to clarify - it was a mileage booster / multiplier / whatever thing after I'd purchased a ticket.
sdsearch and ChocolateFactory like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:47 pm

I've got $28 in AA airline fee credit through the rest of 2019 - have already upgraded seats on my two flights this month.

What is the best way to take advantage of the rest of this slush fund? In-flight drinks & entertainment? (I'm already main cabin extra, so get complimentary drinks)
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by acarey
I've got $28 in AA airline fee credit through the rest of 2019 - have already upgraded seats on my two flights this month.

What is the best way to take advantage of the rest of this slush fund? In-flight drinks & entertainment? (I'm already main cabin extra, so get complimentary drinks)
Inflight entertainment/WiFi is not reimbursed as the charge is not via AA.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by acarey

What is the best way to take advantage of the rest of this slush fund?
I would use Mileage Multiplier, 500 miles for $16 once, or twice (or 1,000 miles for $36 if it's offered) if you don't mind going over. At 3.2 cents per mile, it's a lousy value for buying miles, but as free miles, why not?

In my case, in order to get a low enough Mileage Multiplier offer, I had to book short award flights, and after ticketing got the $16 Mileage Multiplier offer. I cancelled the award immediately after purchasing the miles. I used award flights because I don't get charged mileage redeposit fees; if you do, you might try a paid flight under 500 miles that's more than two weeks out, so you get 24 hours free cancellation.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Mileage Multiplier

I think I used Mileage Multiplier in an attempt to test using the $200 credit which remains in my account unused. I purchased 1500 miles for $46.44 while checking in for a flight (after I had purchased the ticket).

The purchase has posted on my Amex account as an "Additional Collection" with a ticket number and a departure date. It posted 3 days ago, and I have yet to see any credit. Is this a lost cause? Did I do something wrong in making the payment? I still have a lot of credit that I want to spend by the end of the year and I don't know a better way to use the credits on something that has (some) value.

How random is the coding?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by echoch
I think I used Mileage Multiplier in an attempt to test using the $200 credit which remains in my account unused. I purchased 1500 miles for $46.44 while checking in for a flight (after I had purchased the ticket).

The purchase has posted on my Amex account as an "Additional Collection" with a ticket number and a departure date. It posted 3 days ago, and I have yet to see any credit. Is this a lost cause? Did I do something wrong in making the payment? I still have a lot of credit that I want to spend by the end of the year and I don't know a better way to use the credits on something that has (some) value.
Give it a few more days. It took four business days in my cases. You did it right, and your charge posted exactly as mine have.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
To close this loop, I have received the credit.

It posted 4 days after the transaction.

Just need to be patient, I guess.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold, Hertz Platinum
Is there any way to avail this credit without flying? I need to use my $250 airline credit with AA.
Can i just buy miles or any other way?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA
Will buying "Bonus miles" for a high dollar amount like $248 still kick bag as an incidental and be reimbursed? i have an offer to buy 7,700 bonus miles (rip off) lol for $248 or do i need to buy multiple smaller amounts? used up my platinum and gold incidentals already but still have all 250 of my aspire card. Thanks for any feedback. trying to get it used up before the end of the year. This 248 would be great to use up my last 250 as ive already booked MCE on all 4 remaining flights i have this calendar year.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Hyatt Explorist, United Premier Silver
I had a very small number (250) of miles expire. I'm curious if there are any data points on reactivating miles triggering the Amex Platinum credit. I have no use for the miles and if I did the $60 fee certainly wouldn't be worth it, but if I'm gonna get credit for it anyway...…….
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by lv.onlythebrave
Is there any way to avail this credit without flying? I need to use my $250 airline credit with AA.
Can i just buy miles or any other way?
Do you have AA travel planned for 2020? You could buy an Admiral's Club membership for $550-$650 depending on your status and get a good chunk of it reimbursed. If you have family or friends that are traveling this year you can have them use your card at OLCI to pay for checked bags or seat assignments and get them reimbursed (You don't need to be the one flying).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.