Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The full new (revised) policy is shown in the first post as attachments.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 25, 18, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

As hinted at and verified by JonNYC, AA has formally instated Companion Upgrades with soonsor’s “borrowed” status for Systemwide Upgrades / SWU, Award Upgrades (miles + copay), 500 Mile Upgrades including Concierge Key and Executive Platinum “Unlimited Dimestic Upgrade / UDU”. Link to new policy; also see below.

Upgrade priority is pretty much as before:

1.Status: Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, Gold

2. Upgrade type: SWU, Upgrade Awards (Miles and copay), 500 Mile EUpgrades on paid fares, 500 Eups on award

3. Your / the sponsor’s EQD spend over the last 12 months

4. Booking fare code, from F down to the lowest (on allowed fares)

5. Time of booking, assuming everything else is a tie (as likely as finding a desert tortoise in Nunavut in winter)

NOTE the language below that states that if upgrade hasn’t cleared before the ticket goes to airport control, the carriage turns back into a pumpkin (each traveler reverts to their own status). This applies to 500 Mile E-Upgrades. Airport agents (ticket, Club, Gate) can be asked to reestablish the connection, in the case of 500 Mile Upgrades. For SWU, Upgrade Awards, the SSR mechanism should carry over to airport control - you might want to check the connection was made properly and carries over.
Attached Images    

Last edited by JDiver; May 6, 18 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 28, 18, 2:01 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
AA Adds SWU, Miles +$ Award Companion Upgrades 5 May 2018

Sat down with another client today who also works at AA and went to the same training last week as the one mentioned in my previous post.

Something is definitely changing with the SWUs and the PE cabin.....

I have another meeting with another agent tomorrow and will try and see if I can get some more details.
Old Apr 29, 18, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Whatever these changes include, please please let them include companions inheriting status on the airport upgrade list!
Old Apr 29, 18, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potus18 View Post
Whatever these changes include, please please let them include companions inheriting status on the airport upgrade list!
-That- part's a done deal as far as I've been told, "coming soon" (real soon.)
Old Apr 29, 18, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Great! Glad to hear.
Old Apr 30, 18, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Do they inherit the spend as well? This would really suck for someone who is, for example an EXP, who gets bumped from a UG by a non-status pax inheriting everything from their companion who theoretically could have $1 more spend than the bumped EXP.
Old Apr 30, 18, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Do they inherit the spend as well? This would really suck for someone who is, for example an EXP, who gets bumped from a UG by a non-status pax inheriting everything from their companion who theoretically could have $1 more spend than the bumped EXP.
I imagine it would be the exact same as pre-airport upgrade list; the companion inherits the status-holder’s position on the upgrade list - EQDs and all.
Old May 4, 18, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Without divulging too much info....

One of of my clients I just met with works for AA and the corporate training she went to yesterday definitely had some info that tells me that this is happening.
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Sat down with another client today who also works at AA and went to the same training last week as the one mentioned in my previous post..
Presumably, that training included tomorrow's launch referenced in the image below, yet, best I can tell/find (maybe that's -my- limitation,) the sole change is a rather minor one I reference in my Twitter post on it tonight, and not including what they told you they received training about. Still trying to find indications otherwise.

Old May 5, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Presumably, that training included tomorrow's launch referenced in the image below, yet, best I can tell/find (maybe that's -my- limitation,) the sole change is a rather minor one I reference in my Twitter post on it tonight, and not including what they told you they received training about. Still trying to find indications otherwise.

Hmmmm...
So what is AAdvantage Redesign 4.0c launching today May 5?
Old May 5, 18, 9:09 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Hmmmm...
And why are loyal AAdvantange members since the early 1980s supposed to get their program updates from a random person on Twitter instead of directly from AA?
Old May 5, 18, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Hmmmm...
From what I've been able to glean, as far as what the members see/get, it's this one, single change, as nutty as that sounds.

Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
And why are loyal AAdvantange members since the early 1980s supposed to get their program updates from a random person on Twitter instead of directly from AA?
Only the savvy ones that actually want to know what's going on with AA/AAdvantage.

<redacted>
SK, C17PSGR and Finsup72 like this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 5, 18 at 1:28 pm Reason: Redacted unfriendly comment
Old May 5, 18, 11:08 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Only the savvy ones that actually want to know what's going on with AA/AAdvantage.

<redacted>
At all times, I (and I'm sure, many others) appreciate those who discover the info and distribute it for the benefit of others. I cannot imagine that it's even possible to do a better job at this than JonNYC has done over the decades, and continues to do . Much appreciated.

Still, why doesn't AA post a "What's New" page on their website? Apparently AA wants (or at least, does not mind if) their customers to know the latest developments. Surely there are better ways to distribute info about product updates? Not a complaint . Just a question. Why does a world-class corporation distribute their important product news through Twitter leaks?

Last edited by JDiver; May 5, 18 at 1:29 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted pst content
Old May 5, 18, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
Why does a world-class corporation
Who is this world class corporation you speak of?

Old May 5, 18, 11:59 am

Very happy to see this! Paid for J on LAX/SYD next week but waitlisted SWUs for SYD/LAX on the way back. We’re on separate record locators and my companion is Platinum — if (somehow) my upgrade cleared in advance of the airport, would my companion still continue to inherit my status?
Old May 5, 18, 12:21 pm

Ask and ye shell receive

Well, whaddaya know, wishes do come true:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-program-updates.jsp

Search this Thread
Search Engine: