Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
Thanks and great data point. How did you split payment to use both miles and card? I have multiple credits to use and curious if I can split payment over two cards, but the website only offers all miles or all one card.
Right after you log in you should be given the options to pay with all cash, all points, or a combination of the two. I didn't see where the charge component can be put on more than one card (as all $120 was on a single card) but maybe you can call that in?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Purchased two 500-mile upgrade credits via AA.com on Dec 13. No credit yet.

AA processed the transaction with a PNR and a ticket number. I have a bad feeling Amex sees this as an $80 flight.
Good news: credit posted last night (Dec 18). ^
sdsearch and TheRawConsultant like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
Good news: credit posted last night (Dec 18). ^
Thats awesome! I am gonna do the same with all my cards and wife's too!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I have 188 left on my PLT with AA to spend prior to year end. Guess I'll bite the bullet with mileage multiplier, but such a ware of the credit.

Safe Travels
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:51 am

Confirming MCE upgrade triggered airline credit. Gauge showing the credit on December 20th. total cost was $102.38.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the counter drop to zero and say $0 credit available when it has been entirely used? Mine says $200 credit available, but I am not sure if they are just listing the benefit or if the blue arch means that I still have $200 to use?
weirdly mine did same. I ended up buying a couple "500 miles stickers" just to not waste my $200. It now implies I have $200 left again. Did you ever get a response or try to use again? We're in coach to SF next week so might try and but a snack to see what happens.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Flight distance and mileage multiplier offers

Hi, I have read through most of the discussion on this thread about using the mileage multiplier for getting the fee reimbursement. Unlike others who commented in this thread, I was not shown a mileage multiplier offer when putting an itinerary (paid) on hold. Comments in this thread suggest that flight distance determines the multiplier offer (i.e., X miles for Y dollars). I was wondering if anyone could suggest a distance that would generate an offer of about $125 (my remaining credit amount). I have two future award tickets that are AA domestic transcons with partner international flights, and I have noticed that I only have one mileage multiplier offer on each itinerary, but they change over time. When I checked earlier this month, both were over $200 for different amount of miles. Today, I have an offer for 5,000 miles for $162 on one trip and 8,500 miles for $275 on the other. I hate to spend more than my remaining Amex credit since the mileage multiplier is such poor value. Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by needtoescape; Dec 21, 2019 at 5:52 pm Reason: clarify
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:42 pm

I gave in and spent 162 of the 188 I have left on my Pltr card on the multiplier for 5000 RDMs. It is a crappy value I know, but as EP, not much use for E500s with wife and daughter also PPros.

Safe Travels
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: N/A
Hi folks! Is there a charge threshold when purchasing 500 mile upgrades? Or can i purchase 6 in one transaction to get $240 of my $250 Aspire credit?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:08 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAOK
there is mention here of buying one time passes to AA clubs. AA's web site says the passes aren't purchasable online. Does anyone know another way to get them?

Also can I assume that purchases on aabrandstore.com (which is actually overture promotions) don't count?
I bought them in person at DCA.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:09 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi folks! Is there a charge threshold when purchasing 500 mile upgrades? Or can i purchase 6 in one transaction to get $240 of my $250 Aspire credit?
I’d buy them one at a time just to be sure.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
I still have a full complement of $100 reimbursement available on my Gold Amex. I was not offered a mileage multiplier on my last AA flight, I am a OW Emerald (so MCE, luggage is all free) but I am not an AA elite so can't purchase 500-mile stickers (I tried). I think I know the answer, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to make use of this credit in the last days of the year I'd be very grateful. Happy holidays to everyone!
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thinking about 2020 options as a new AA flyer.

For an EXP, it looks like the best reimbursement option is AC membership.

Change fees really don't qualify?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you want spouse, children, parents to have Admirals Club access when flying without you, the best option is a Citi Executive card because (a) it costs less than a membership purchased from AA ($450), and (b) there is no additional cost for Authorized Users who can access Admirals Club when flying AA (but do not receive any reciprocal lounge benefits.)
GTITAN likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thinking about 2020 options as a new AA flyer.

Change fees really don't qualify?
Use inside the AC for food and top shelf liquor. Also, change fees will work for it. Using credit as an AA EP is hard road. Trust me I know. I am and tried to use it creatively (paid for sons status challenger, award ticket charges , AC top shelf drinks, (have multiple Amex cards with the credit). By the way, while credit has not posted, the meter has moved on the162 bucks for the mileage multiplier purchase I mentioned up thread.

Next year, only AMEX Gold is getting the credit for AA (pay for food and like in the AC).

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.