Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:42 pm

AA gift cards used to work for me but in June 2018, I bought a $100 gc with my PRG and the charge appeared as AMERICAN AIRLINES instead of AA MISC SALE, and it was not reimbursed. A few months later, I tried a $50 gift card with the same results. Is there a way to make sure that the charge will have AA MISC? A special AA gift card site, perhaps? I still see people having success in doing this so I was wondering. I usually google "aa virtual gift cards" and go to the first page. Any information is appreciated.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by orega22
....A special AA gift card site....
https://giftcards.aa.com/
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:38 pm

Thank you for your reply but this is exactly where I bought a $50 gift card recently. Do people use this site and the charges come in as AA MISC? If so, the site reacts differently depending on your card/location/date?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To my knowledge that is the only American Airlines site that sells giftcards. Scroll back to around post 795 to see if the transaction description matches what you are seeing. If it does, that's not the problem.

Have you verified that AA is the selected airline on this specific card account?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:57 pm

Yes, the transaction description matches what I see in my pending charge. And yes, AA is my selected airline. I will wait until the charge is posted and report back here. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:27 pm

purchase 2 AA $100 gc separately on 09/04/18. got credit for both on 09/07/18.

will try again in 2019.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:15 pm

Is this applicable to both personal and business platinum cards?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by el_pistolero
Is this applicable to both personal and business platinum cards?
Yes all versions of the amex platinum including business. Pretty much all amex that reimburse for incidental charges on airlines.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:21 pm

Change fees

I edited this because I found the answer to my question. The credit DOES cover itinerary change fees.
Thanks

Last edited by detjason; Sep 9, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by detjason
I looked through as many pages of this thread that I could, I apologize for not reading all 56 pages. It seems to be all about gift cards. But does the credit cover ticket change fees?
Thanks
Yes, they cover them. Remember to select the airline before. Usually it automatically reimburse it unless it is more than $200.

Terms: " Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:54 am

People who got reimbursed, can you please tell me the document type?
Mine says as follows

Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by el_pistolero
People who got reimbursed, can you please tell me the document type?
Mine says as follows
Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)
DOCUMENT TYPE : MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S) (Hilton Aspire $250)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:44 pm

I am reporting back about my post of 830. The charge was posted as American Airlines, instead of AA MISC, but it was reimbursed after a few days. Strange but worked. Thanks.
mia likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

A very weird experience:

At end of July I purchased 250 AA gc with my Aspire card, and 200 AA gc with a platinum card under my friend's name. We live in the same address. Both got reimbursed in several days. Early August, after checking that both cards were valid and had correct balances, I listed both on raise.com without knowing their 45 days hold policy for travel cards, but decided to just leave them on raise.com in pending status as was.

Yesterday, I actually wanted to use them, so I removed them from raise.com (both were still pending listing at that time), and then found that both cards were voided.

I called AA gc department, and was told that the bank (presumably Amex) called AA corporate security team, and said someone disputed the charge, or it's some sort of fraudulent charge, and asked for money back, so AA had to void the gift cards.

However, I have not received any communication from Amex regarding this, and I called Amex and was told by customer service agent that Amex did not contact AA. I did not ask to escalate to a manager because I did not want to draw attention of me purchasing AA gc for reimbursement. Despite the obviously contrary words, neither Amex or AA is willing to have a three party phone call. The Amex agent did offer me the option to dispute the charge and said it would be credited within 24-48 hours. Not sure what would happen to the reimbursement credit though.

Has anyone experienced similar things? Is Amex manually reviewing the charges, and decides to contact AA? but they could just reverse the reimbursement credit... Why contacting AA to void a third-party gift card?

What makes it weirder is that the same thing happens to two gift cards, and the other one was purchased with my friend's card (we do have the same billing address though). Both were listed on raise.com, but I called raise.com and they said both were still in hold/pending period, and they did not void the cards. Also based on what AA told me, it looks like it's not related to raise.com

I would report back if there is any update.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:04 pm

$100 AA GC on 9/2 and reimbursed on 9/5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.