Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:56 pm

I also in haste purchased one transaction on my Hilton Aspire a $100, $100, and $50 giftcard to myself on November 14th. It posted as one $250 charge - then I read more specifics. I panicked then purchased another $100 giftcard on November 14th and was going to see.

My transaction shows 2 credits on November 16th for $150, and $100. I guess I should have waited to see if the $250 gift card would post fully, but I wanted to hurry up to purchase a flight for my mother in law and you need to wait 3 days before the gift cards are active.

My account shows in the following order

Amex reimbursement fee, Nov 16th, $150 credit
Amex reimbursement fee, Nov 16th, $100 credit
American Airlines, Nov 14th, $100 gift card
American Airlines Nov 14th, $250 gift card

Either way, I'm happy

Originally Posted by glassesjacketshirtman
Details:
1. On Wednesday, November 14th in the evening, I purchased 1x $200 American Airlines virtual gift card with my Amex Platinum on my home laptop computer.
2. It originally appeared on my statement as "AA ARC"
3. It finally appeared on my statement as "AMERICAN AIRLINES 45800-433-7300 TX"
4. It is classified as "Miscellaneous Tax(S)/Fee(S) Flight on November 14 Ticket Number XXXX"
5. It is purchased from as follows:
AA ANCILLARY SALES
4333 AMON CARTER BLVD
FORT WORTH
TX

Reimbursement Process:
1. On Saturday, November 17th, in the morning, on the Amex Platinum Benefits page, it showed that I used up all my $200 Airline Fee Credit for the year of 2018. However, the $200 reimbursement credit still did not post on my account.
2. On Saturday, November 17th, a little before noon, the $200 reimbursement finally posted.

Comments:
1. Indeed, the headline of this thread states that buying gift cards over $100 may not be reimbursed. In my haste to buy this gift card, I overlooked this detail until after the fact...
2. As for my Hilton Aspire card, I might buy 2x gift cards in the denominations of $150 and $100.
3. However, I would be interested in what AFmoneyguy has to say about his 1x $250 gift card American Airlines purchase on his Hilton Aspire.
4. I have tried to quote him below.
5. I made this account today just to give my anecdotal experience, as I felt it might be useful to everyone else in this thread to get more data on those who got reimbursed on AA virtual gift card purchases of > $100.
Abidjan likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:40 am

Just purchased 1x$200 AA Egift card with business plat. Will update with (hopeful) reimbursement.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by prady
You inspired me and I took a shot with $150 lol... will keep ya'll posted
Confirming that $150 GC has been reimbursed... YAY!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:20 am

Hilton aspire airline credit- Gift Cards

I'm new to the forum. I just got the hilton aspire cc and see it has a $250 airline incidental charge. Does anyone know if we are still able to purchase airline gift cards, from which airlines, and what is the max amount that we can purchase? ive read that you can use it on AA, delta and SW but the posts are over a year old. Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:28 am

Does it matter if the virtual gift card purchase amount (in this case, American Airlines with the AmEx Platinum) goes over the remaining balance of the reimbursement benefit? I spent like eight bucks on an in-flight drink, but I'm planning on buying two $100 AA vouchers and just want to make sure they'll get reimbursed the remaining ~$192 of the perk I have left.

Also, it doesn't matter if it's an authorized user that makes the purchase, right?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
2 x $100 GC
1 x $50 GC

Purchased one GC per day.
All reimbursed within 6 days at most.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Steelers1
I'm new to the forum. I just got the hilton aspire cc and see it has a $250 airline incidental charge. Does anyone know if we are still able to purchase airline gift cards, from which airlines, and what is the max amount that we can purchase? ive read that you can use it on AA, delta and SW but the posts are over a year old. Thank you.
I just upgraded to the Aspire so I'm looking at this topic as well but in all honesty....you just answered your own question! Clearly if you reread the threads on the individual airlines you will see that there are recent updates on what is working and what is. Not sure why you say the "posts are over a year old." The most recent update on how it works with AA was posted in this thread approx. 30 minutes before you posted your question. Same holds true for the post the the SW forum and I saved myself the time of checking the DL post as I assume there are recent updates there as well.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 20, 2018 at 6:22 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
Purchased $100 Virtual GC 11/15, received Refund on 11/18
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:45 pm

This was my first time on this site so don't know all of the ins and outs of all of these forums. Happy holidays to you too.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Steelers1
This was my first time on this site so don't know all of the ins and outs of all of these forums. Happy holidays to you too.
I wasn't trying to be rude but the details were right there in the last couple of posts previous to yours. If you do go the DL route make sure to follow the instructions listed in that thread since you evidently need to buy GC from the site you can access on a computer and NOT from a mobile device. Good luck in deciding what airline to apply for the credit with and in using the credit.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:11 pm

I recently got a Amex Plat and also have this $200 credit. I haven't picked which airline to use it on yet since on the surface seems like a waste of a benefit. I did just book a AA flight a few days back. Can anyone confirm this is exactly what to do:

Apply credit fee to AA
Go to link in post to buy AA GC in (2) $100 increments with CC
In a few days this should show as a credit on my account??

Does that sound correct?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:10 pm

Ameriprise Financial AMEX Platinum $200 Gift Card Reimbursed

I selected AA as my airline on my Ameriprise AMEX Platinum. I purchased a single $200 gift card on 17 Nov. I was reimbursed for a $200 gift card purchased on AA's gift card website on 19 Nov.
dpy940307, lotrbfme and bwgbwg like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Chris Steil
I recently got a Amex Plat and also have this $200 credit. I haven't picked which airline to use it on yet since on the surface seems like a waste of a benefit. I did just book a AA flight a few days back. Can anyone confirm this is exactly what to do:

Apply credit fee to AA
Go to link in post to buy AA GC in (2) $100 increments with CC
In a few days this should show as a credit on my account??

Does that sound correct?
Hi Chris,

That is correct. When you buy a GC, remember to select the Virtual GC option, unless you want to have a physical GC.

Last edited by gdoubleu; Nov 21, 2018 at 11:58 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by AFmoneyguy
I selected AA as my airline on my Ameriprise AMEX Platinum. I purchased a single $200 gift card on 17 Nov. I was reimbursed for a $200 gift card purchased on AA's gift card website on 19 Nov.
any update on the $250aa gift card you purchased using Hilton aspire card yet?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by jgroll57
Just purchased 1x$200 AA Egift card with business plat. Will update with (hopeful) reimbursement.
quick uodate, full $200 reimbursement came through this morning
sdsearch and Abidjan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.