Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 12, 19, 5:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Traveler Dave
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Wiki!
Notes: All prices are in US Dollars and are exclusive of taxes unless specified (by ++)

EXTRA CHARGES TO BE AWARE OF:
• A compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement of US$488++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 24 December 2019
• A compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement of US$800++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 31 December 2019

Charge Section
1. Yacht transfer: At a mere 22.8km from Male, Ithaafushi originally started charging $378++ per person return but then (and even before the resort opened) went up to $350++ per person PER WAY. That's practically double the price; $1724.80 all up for 2 passengers and almost as much as a single night's stay in a base villa!
• See the story of the resort not allowing guests' own transfer arrangements and leaving a valued Diamond member out in the cold just ONE DAY before check-in! Or read about it here on the forum
Then read probably the best rebuttal to this ridiculous and hypocritical policy

Note that the resort has backtracked from its previous policy (set way before they opened and which all other resorts have) of allowing third party transfers, since they figured they could fleece guests for even more money by literally forcing every guest to take their yacht for the return transfer, not letting third party boats dock nor give them tender from the lagoon boundary (like what happened to BLTraveler above)

• Then, in true Ithaafushi prices-all-over-the-place style, they changed the price knocking $50 off each way, but only for some guests. And we still don't know who this applies to and who it doesn't apply to

2. Should you be unlucky enough to have to pay for breakfast, watch out for the $35 you'll have to fork out for a single egg!
3. A 106,000 dollar bottle of wine: Click here for a picture of the wine menu. Keep reading the next couple of pages to see reactions
4. $135 shisha! Check out this post
5. $64 for a bowl of noodles. Click here for the menu
6. Nearly a thousand dollars for a couple to sit in a bamboo cage on a pole at the restaurant Terra with nothing to look at after sunset
7. Compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement (see above)
8. Compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement (see above)
...and a few corporate-greed-bashing posts for good measure and entertainment value: Click here and here
9. Ridiculously over-priced dinners - we're talking fifty bucks shy of $1000++ per person here (and some even more expensive than that) - at supposedly private and secluded locations. Click here for the list. Click here and here for comments and opinions
...and another corporate-greed-bashing post here

Cost cutting:
• True Waldorf Service Cost Cutting: Check out
this post
• Yasmeen's Set Menu: Check out the many reductions in offerings between the old and new menus in
this post

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort. For info on this and how it's distributed, see this post)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• Total tax is 23.2%, not 22% as one would think. Example; $100 + 10% = $110, then add 12% on to $110 for a total of $123.20
• • Tip: To work out prices before the 23.2% taxes, multiply by 0.81169, i.e; 123.2 * 0.81169 = 100
• A Green Tax of $6pp/pn (levied by the Maldivian government) has been introduced starting from 1 November 2015. Points/Redemption bookings are exempt from the tax for up to two guests per room
Note: The $8pp/pn Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) was abolished on Dec 1, 2014

Transfers To and From Resort
• How: Waldorf Astoria Ithaafushi is located in South Malι Atoll, 23km southwest of Malι and Velana International Airport [MLE] (also known as Malι International Airport, previously known as Ibrahim Nasir International Airport)
Private yacht transfer: $350++ per person per way ($1724.80 return inclusive of taxes for 2 passengers). If the yacht is not available, a speedboat will be provided by the resort. If this happens, you may be refunded the yacht transfer fee. See this post for more info
• Doing the dirty: Original quoted price was either $370++ or $378++ per person return but they thought that was too cheap and basically doubled it. Also note that the quoted transfer time on their website is 30 minutes but actual travel time is 40-50 minutes under normal sea conditions
• See this post for a detailed review of the yacht transfer (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• More sneaky business? Probably. Departure from Male to the resort was pretty much straight away but now we could wait up to 90 minutes to depart! Check out this post for a hypothesis

Alternative transfers to the WA and alternative destinations / resorts
• See this post for a success story in booking a very reasonably-priced transfer

• Transfer to / from Conrad Maldives Rangali Island: A private seaplane transfer from the Waldorf to the Conrad, taking approximately 25 minutes, is approximately USD 8,125++

Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities
• WA Ithaafushi is made up of three islands (95% man-made)
• The resort has 11 restaurants / bars
• There are 2 standalone OWVs (Over Water Villas) and 121 villas in total
• Click here (Hilton's website) or here (dedicated website) to visit the resort on the web
• The kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives) is for children between 4 to 11 years. Click here for detailed information and here for the schedule. Click here, here and here for basic reviews and comprehensive sets of pictures (All courtesy of Traveler Dave)
• Click here to visit the resort's listing on TripAdvisor
• Tennis courts: See this post
• For a new map of the resort click here
> For the old map of the resort click here * Note that this map is orientated north and so the SUNRISE and SUNSET written on it are incorrect. Also note that you receive a black and white map when you arrive and this is not as good nor as detailed as the one posted here. For comments on the quality of the map, click here
• Snorkelling spots and other info 3e4sd:Link to post: (Courtesy of AirForceFlyer)
• Scuba Diving pics :Link to post: (Courtesy of Traveler Dave)
• Activities Brochure (prices as of July 2019)
• Spa pics and review :Link to post: (Courtesy of Traveler Dave)
• Wellness Programme :Link to post: (Courtesy of AirForceFlyer)

Resort Information - Menus
• Some restaurant menus are available in PDF format on the resort's website. Click here to visit the relevant page on their website
• For pictures of most of the menus: Part 1 and Part 2
• Dining Programme / restaurant opening times: See this post and the post below it
• IVD (In Villa Dining) menus: See this post
• Yasmeen - Menu version discussion here
• The Ledge - See this post. Note that this menu changes daily but there are probably only 2 for each day and 14 in total (7 for lunch and 7 for dinner)

Miscellaneous Information
• Villa pool depth: See this post
• Best snorkelling spots: See this post and this post
• Complimentary water (in villa): See this post
• Walking / getting around the resort: See this post
• Sunset / Sunrise at the resort: See this post and this post
• Power outlet configuration: See this post

Elite member benefits:

Hilton Honors GOLD MEMBERS:

• Full breakfast at Tasting Table
  • In-villa VIP welcome Champagne, sweet and savoury amenities
  • Complimentary daily afternoon delights (see here for pic) with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley
  • 50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30
Hilton Honors DIAMOND MEMBERS:

• Full breakfast at Tasting Table
  • In-villa VIP welcome Champagne, sweet and savoury amenities
  • [Diamond only benefit] With a selected 60-minute massage, enjoy a complimentary additional 30-minute at Waldorf Astoria Spa
  • Complimentary daily afternoon delights (see here for pic) with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley
  • 50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30

Accommodation:
At opening the resort defined Beach Villas as the lowest category of accommodation (only this category bookable with points). The next highest category was Reef Villas then above that, the Overwater Villas. Note: villas on the Private Island do not count.
This will change in 2020. Quote from the resort "Please be informed that for next year we have changed our villa category. Kindly note that the Reef Villa will be our base category, next will be the Overwater Villa and then the Beach Villa. Basically the Beach Villa will be a higher category compared to reef Villa and Overwater Villa."
See this post for the conversation related to this. Pricing has changed as well to reflect this. See below for 2020 pricing.
Note that as of August 2019 the BV is still available to book on points in 2020. This may change, however.

Prices - Accommodation (2020):

***** March 2020 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2630
• Overwater Villa USD 2430
• Reef Villa USD 1930

Prices - Accommodation (2019):

***** July 2019 Figures *****
• 2 Bedroom Beach Villa with Pool USD 3850
• 2 Bedroom Over Water Villa with Pool USD 4350

***** October 2019 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2100
• Grand Beach Villa USD 2300
• Reef Villa USD 2300
• Grand Reef Villa USD 2500
• Overwater Villa USD 2500
• Grand Overwater Villa USD 2700

***** Upgrade Costs - Jul 2019 *****
• Two Bedroom Beach - US 2000
• Two Bedroom Grand Beach - US 2200
• Two Bedroom Reef - US 2200
• Two Bedroom Overwater - US 2400

***** Upgrade Costs - Oct 2019 *****
• Reef Villa USD 200
• OWV USD 400

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
GBV (Grand Beach Villa)

-- RVs (Reef Villas) --

RV (Reef Villa, the Garden Villa category shown in the pre-opening promo video)
GRV (Grand Reef Villa, also a type of Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

OV (Overwater Villa)
GOV (Grand Overwater Villa)
SMR (Stella Maris Residences)

-- Occupancy Information --
See this post for maximum occupancy of each villa type

Villa Selection
• See this post and this post
• Privacy - Beach Villas: For pics, info and opinions, see the following posts; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Travel & Safety Information
• The Maldives is listed in Category 1 (the highest category) on the
WHO Zika virus classification table. However, don't let that scare you because as of April 13, 2017 there has only been one confirmed case of Zika in the Maldives
• Click here for information related to the single Zika infection in the Maldives (reported in January of that year)

Contact
• General Enquiries: [email protected]
• Reservations Department: [email protected]
• Tel: +960-4000-300

Weather:
Note: since the resort is close to Mahibadhoo (where there is a weather station), I have added this info from the Conrad Maldives thread as both resorts are close by and the weather will be the same as far as forecasts go (MaldivesFreak)
• General info on weather in the Maldives: Link 1 Link 2 (Maldivian government website)
• Recommended Android weather app: eWeather HD. See this post for detailed info on the app, settings, tips and general weather info (Courtesy of MaldivesFreak)
• Want to get an idea about the weather in the month of August? Click here to read a post from a FT member that spends 2 weeks at Rangali during this month (Courtesy of Splotly)

Pictures - Resort under construction:
• January, 2018 :Link to post:
• June, 2018 :Link to post:
• Approx October, 2018 :Link to post:
• January, 2019 :Link to post:

Pictures & Videos - Post-opening:
• General pics of the resort (July, 2019) :Link to post: (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• The Stella Maris exclusive! :Link to post with links to videos: (Courtesy of alanslegal)
• Breakfast buffet at Tasting Table - Post #1 :Link to post: (Courtesy of alanslegal)
• Breakfast buffet at Tasting Table - Post #2 :Link to post: (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• Breakfast buffet at Tasting Table - Post #3 :Link to post: (Courtesy of Traveler Dave)
• Breakfast buffet at Tasting Table - Post #4 :Link to post: (Courtesy of Another Getaway)
• IVD(in villa dining) :Link to post: (Courtesy of Stivelio)
• Terra (views from all 7 'cages') :Link to post: (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• Terra and Family Pool :Link to post with link to video: (Courtesy of alanslegal)
• Reef Villa with sunset view :Link to post: (Courtesy of Stivelio)
• Views in the direction of Male (night & day pics) :Link to post 1: (Courtesy of wekxbrainx) :Link to post 2: (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• Bicycle tour :Link to post:

Reviews:
Review by goldelite8
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 19, 19, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by BLTraveler View Post
After they denied my entry I forwarded them this message and they gave me some BS about all the customers complaining about the 3rd party transfers invading their privacy (BS) and that they no longer allow 3rd party transfers. So they are aware that this message was floating around out there and they could care less.

It appears some bean counter with an MBA from the university of phoenix has implemented a strict mandate to absolutely ban all 3rd party transfers no matter the circumstance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when someone just shows up anyone in a 3rd party transfer.
My suggestion, a few posts above, was not based on sending them some blog post as evidence of their policy at any given time. It was based on what they told an individual customer directly. They are free to change their policies, and we are free to not appreciate the change.

Anyone who did not get a direct email from them stating they will accept a 3rd person charter should not feel they “deserve” it. Especially now that they posted it on their website, however hidden.

TD
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
After they denied my entry I forwarded them this message and they gave me some BS about all the customers complaining about the 3rd party transfers invading their privacy (BS) and that they no longer allow 3rd party transfers. So they are aware that this message was floating around out there and they could care less.

It appears some bean counter with an MBA from the university of phoenix has implemented a strict mandate to absolutely ban all 3rd party transfers no matter the circumstance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when someone just shows up anyone in a 3rd party transfer.
I don't know if this is relevant but when I was there waiting to leave a third party transfer (small speedboat) arrived and a white bearded guy stepped out and started bossing staff around and even poking his fingers in the chest of a staff member, which made my girlfriend audibly say "Wowww"

We later asked the "yacht concierge" who he was and she said he was the CEO of the company that built the resort or something like that.

They must have deliveries, and staff, and vendors arriving all the time and have probably had close to zero guests arriving on third party transfers so I, like you, find the argument that many customers were complaining about third party transfers to be BS.

I'm very curious to what they would say to someone who says "you told me I could take a third party transfer and I intend to to that, otherwise I expect you will transfer me for the same price I agreed with the third party vendor (easy solution) or cancel my reservation without penalty and reimburse me for the plane tickets I already bought."
MaldivesFreak and BLTraveler like this.

Last edited by jphripjah; Aug 19, 19 at 8:33 pm
Old Aug 19, 19, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by wekxbrainx View Post
I was emailing them back and forth just weeks before arrival. The communication was so slow(one email response per day with 1 line answer). I got frustrated and complained. So they offer the discount over email about 4 days before arrival.
I suspect that the transfer cost was recently revised to $300++, rather than this being a discount specifically offered to you due to your complaint. Here is an excerpt from an email in late July (copied from another FT thread) which also lists a transfer fee of $300++. Interestingly, they have also provided a new fee for children.

Our shared luxury yacht transfer fee is fee is at US$300+23.2% Tax and service charge per adult per way. For children below 5 years, the transfer is complimentary and US$150+23.2% Tax and service charge per child per way for children between 6 to 11 years.

Mary Ann Bascon
Reservations Sales Agent
Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi

Originally Posted by wekxbrainx View Post
They also had a mini concert the next day. Was told that they are trying to schedule more events each week.

It's not a set weekly event yet. But they will try to schedule more events and see what people like.
I really hope that the dinner buffet on the beach becomes a regular event. It would provide the resort with a Maldivian dining experience that the other venues currently lack. It would also be nice if the resort could offer more activities, eg cooking classes, cinema on the beach. By the way, what was the charge for the buffet that night?

I added the distances below and sorted by distance. Amazing one of the closest resorts has the most expensive transfer.

Waldorf Maldives
Speedboat
$862
23km
Speedboat would be an upgrade. More like "boat with dated furnishings".
MaldivesFreak and BLTraveler like this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:01 am

I have a reservation in March 2020, and currently it's in a 2-queen bed Beach Villa (which is the only thing that was available on points).

I emailed asked for the upgrade cost to a King Reef Villa. Per reading the wiki and the thread, I figured that the upgrade cost would be $200 per night. The hotel just got back to me and let me know that they could switch us with no upgrade fee, which I found quite surprising.

For dates near my date (on which I can find any Beach Villa availability), the beach villas seem to be more expensive than reef villas. However, that seems to almost be a pricing quirk, as the Beach Villa room is clearly smaller and their original pricing had the beach villas being the cheapest rooms (there was originally a clear pricing hierarchy with $200 differences to go to Reef or $200 further to go to Overwater), which is why award stays booked into them since they were their most basic room.

For dates near my date, the a BV is $2630, a RV is $1930 (which is I guess why they're offering me no upgrade fee?), and an OV is $2430. Should I accept the free RV upgrade, or am I missing something? And should I try seeing if the upgrade to a OV is potentially free?
noeatbutgo likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by flyerchatter View Post
I suspect that the transfer cost was recently revised to $300++, rather than this being a discount specifically offered to you due to your complaint. Here is an excerpt from an email in late July (copied from another FT thread) which also lists a transfer fee of $300++. Interestingly, they have also provided a new fee for children.
They haven't updated this on the website yet. I was quoted $350++ around end of May via email. Arriving at WA in <2 weeks and wouldn't mind saving money on this ridiculously priced transfer.
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:56 am

I guess the BVs are almost sold out for that date. Limited availability = higher price.
Might as well see if the upgrade to an OWV is FOC. You have nothing to lose.

And maybe it's one of those, you know, 'glitches' that has prevented it from being added to the website. Just like the one they had before that changed "per person return" to "per person per way".
scwam likes this.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 19, 19 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Do you guys think a resort like this would ever adopt a policy of "no smoking in the indoor OR outdoor seating areas of F&B venues?"

Because it kind of sucks to travel all the way to the Maldives and then have to choose between sitting at a smoke free table inside or sitting at a table outside surrounded by cigarette smokers from countries where cigarette smoking is very prevalent.
Not here. Consider the guests they’ll be attracting (other than Flyertalkers on Points) and think of how much they smoke.
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:47 am

I doubt it would make much difference. In my experience it doesn't matter where they are, they'll still smoke outside anyway and not really care whether the smoke blows over to other guests.
Cynicor and luv2vacay like this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by beefninja View Post
I have a reservation in March 2020, and currently it's in a 2-queen bed Beach Villa (which is the only thing that was available on points).

I emailed asked for the upgrade cost to a King Reef Villa. Per reading the wiki and the thread, I figured that the upgrade cost would be $200 per night. The hotel just got back to me and let me know that they could switch us with no upgrade fee, which I found quite surprising.

For dates near my date (on which I can find any Beach Villa availability), the beach villas seem to be more expensive than reef villas. However, that seems to almost be a pricing quirk, as the Beach Villa room is clearly smaller and their original pricing had the beach villas being the cheapest rooms (there was originally a clear pricing hierarchy with $200 differences to go to Reef or $200 further to go to Overwater), which is why award stays booked into them since they were their most basic room.

For dates near my date, the a BV is $2630, a RV is $1930 (which is I guess why they're offering me no upgrade fee?), and an OV is $2430. Should I accept the free RV upgrade, or am I missing something? And should I try seeing if the upgrade to a OV is potentially free?
When I saw your post I decided to email them (my stay is in February). This is what they answered:
"Please be informed that for next year we have changed our villa category. Kindly note that the Reef Villa will be our based category next will be the Overwater Villa and the Beach Villa.

Basically the Beach Villa will be a higher category compared to reef Villa and Overwater Villa.

If you need any further assistance please do let us know."

I can't see any reason they are doing this, why they structure their prices in such a manner? Anyone that stayed in the OWV or RV saw any downside to stay there?

Last edited by pointsmanager; Aug 20, 19 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond
I received this mail (stay Sept 28 to Oct 3.2019):

Beach Villa with Pool to Reef Villa with Pool – US $ 200 + 23.2% tax and service charge per night

Beach Villa with Pool to Overwater Villa with Pool – US $ 400 + 23.2% tax and service charge per night
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak View Post
I guess the BVs are almost sold out for that date. Limited availability = higher price.
Might as well see if the upgrade to an OWV is FOC. You have nothing to lose.
Yep. As you thought, I am apparently allowed to change from a Beach Villa to a Reef Villa or an Overwater Villa (my choice) for no charge because the resort is currently considering them as downgrades, apparently based on the price for those dates.

It's definitely weird that the Beach Villa is now priced higher than both the Reef Villa and Overwater Villa, given that the RV/OWV seem to be larger and that people generally pay a premium to be overwater. Have read through the thread, but haven't seen anyone specifically say that the RV or OWV were preferable to BV. Anyone have any reason why they preferred a BV? Otherwise, am going to jump on this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by pointsmanager View Post
"Please be informed that for next year we have changed our villa category. Kindly note that the Reef Villa will be our based category next will be the Overwater Villa and the Beach Villa.

Basically the Beach Villa will be a higher category compared to reef Villa and Overwater Villa.

It's definitely weird that the Beach Villa is now priced higher than both the Reef Villa and Overwater Villa, given that the RV/OWV seem to be larger and that people generally pay a premium to be overwater. Have read through the thread, but haven't seen anyone specifically say that the RV or OWV were preferable to BV. Anyone have any reason why they preferred a BV? Otherwise, am going to jump on this.
So if you book in 2019, the beach villa is the cheapest, and if you book for dates in 2020, the BV is now priced above the RV and the OWV. To add to confusion, the room you can book with points continues to be the BV in 2020 despite the higher price.

All of this is mind boggling. I think my takeaway is that I will not pay for any kind of upgrade if the property itself cannot even make up its mind on what room type is more valuable.
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
So if you book in 2019, the beach villa is the cheapest, and if you book for dates in 2020, the BV is now priced above the RV and the OWV. To add to confusion, the room you can book with points continues to be the BV in 2020 despite the higher price.

All of this is mind boggling. I think my takeaway is that I will not pay for any kind of upgrade if the property itself cannot even make up its mind on what room type is more valuable.

Yes, that is all correct. Originally, Beach Villa was the cheapest room and the points option. Now, it is the most expensive of the (non-2BR) rooms, but is still the points option.

Definitely will not be paying to upgrade. Am mostly trying to determine if I'm missing something, so that I can confirm my "downgrade" to a OWV before the resort changes its mind again.
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Am mostly trying to determine if I'm missing something, so that I can confirm my "downgrade" to a OWV
This is exactly what I am considering as well, pending further feedback from people who have been to the resort already. I want to "downgrade" to OWV even though my stay is in 2019. There is nothing magical about December 31 2019 vs January 1 2020 to make one room type more valuable overnight!
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by pointsmanager View Post
When I saw your post I decided to email them (my stay is in February). This is what they answered:

One potential funny side effect of this:

Given that they have decided that the Reef Villa is their base room, if they decide that they want RV's to be the points option...

... and since current points bookings are all in BV's, and I doubt the hotel would change them from BV to RV without our consent (though who knows?)...

... and since RVs are available basically every day during high-season...

...That could potentially open up a ton of points availability for RVs during high-season.

Search this Thread