FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:32 am
jphripjah

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jphripjah
For what its worth, and this will not be a surprise to anyone, I went to another dining venue today and the bill had the same itemization with Tip - $0.00 printed on the bill, then service charge, then tax, then later a line for you to write in your gratuity. And I did ask a staff member today if they receive the service charge and he said yes.

An interesting question here is, if I leave a tip on the bill charged to my room, who gets it? Does it all go to the waiter, or to the staff of that restaurant only, or does it go into the general "service charge" fund shared by all the staff?
I got a little more info on the service charge issue. I am told that all staff at the resort except the top executives all share equally in the service charges collected. Actually the resort keeps 1% of the amount collected for "administration" and the staff gets 99%. If you write a gratuity on your bill at the restaurant, that is shared by the staff of that restaurant only. If you want to give a personal tip to a particular staff member, you can hand him or her cash.