Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
At a minimum, it's likely that deaths from other viruses are being swept up here and attributed to influenza, since lots of unpleasant stuff tends to circulate during winter months.
You were being incredibly kind with "disingenuous." I'd have some other more colorful words I'd have used.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:46 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by STS-134
But my company does not track sick days or PTO. Everything is on the honor system.
In one country I lived, there is a local anecdote about a local folk character who tells the story coming from London incredibly rich after playing poker at high society meeting. When he asks club members to show cards they say 'we are gentlemen, we honor each others' words'. The folk character's punch line follows: 'you have no idea how incredibly lucky a become right after these words...'

You get an idea...

than to deal with the administrative overhead of keeping track of time off/sick days for everyone.
In number of countries, actually in vast majority of countries employees have guaranteed number of sick days regardless the size of company, industry or their functions. US is an outlier here.

but also everyone who contributed to the culture that made those previous things possible.
Another reference anecdote from different country, different era, but the same situation:

In Perm's Prison for political dissidents inmates are asking each other for what they are there. One of them says - 'I'm a plumber'. Others say - 'how you ended up here?'. Plumper says - 'got a call that at Central Committee they had a leak. Went there, checked and told them - whole system here is rotten, you gotta change it...'
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Well Winston and Matt just called out the WHO for the same stuff I called them out on 1-2 days ago. What a joke. This organization should be disbanded. I won't trust anything the WHO says but I still trust the CDC.

Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Five minutes ago the latest data for Hubei Province were released:

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/20..._2018742.shtml

The growth rate is not as bad, but in terms of sheer numbers, the cases are increasing by around 2000 per day. Not sure what to make of it. Is it the limited capacity to test (no one is saying how many people are being tested per day) that yields this relatively constant daily increase? The new cases in the smaller cities are similarly staying constant - some actually decreased - and one would imagine there isn't as big a backlog in those locations, so perhaps that's a positive development...

Edit: On the other hand, the death toll in that province alone has gone up by 64, the highest daily increase so far I believe, and the number of people in critical condition by 98.
There are so many reporting variables that I don't think that measuring the reported infections/deaths in Hubei tells us that much about the virulence of the virus. I'm watching the growth rate elsewhere in China and it is extremely slow -- as is the worldwide spread of the virus. It's undeniable that, so far. the virus does not seem to be spreading very quickly outside of Hubei. Why? This is what everyone needs to know.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
There are so many reporting variables that I don't think that measuring the reported infections/deaths in Hubei tells us that much about the virulence of the virus. I'm watching the growth rate elsewhere in China and it is extremely slow -- as is the worldwide spread of the virus. It's undeniable that, so far. the virus does not seem to be spreading very quickly outside of Hubei. Why? This is what everyone needs to know.
While I'm unable to answer your question in a scientific manner, I have been in Shanghai throughout this entire saga to date, and have observed that the vast majority of the population has kept contact with others to an absolute minimum (e.g. they stay in their own houses 90% of the time, and when they do venture outside, they keep a distance). One of my Chinese friends told me that, apart from her fear of the virus, a major reason she stays home is because her compound makes her complete a form every time she leaves. As such, she simply orders food from grocery stores or restaurants. I do go outside myself. Most restaurants that I like are closed by government order this week. For those that aren't, I'm typically 1 in about 5 total customers. I guess I'm not surprised that the virus hasn't spread faster here.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:43 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Well Winston and Matt just called out the WHO for the same stuff I called them out on 1-2 days ago. What a joke. This organization should be disbanded. I won't trust anything the WHO says but I still trust the CDC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VGPYtbTk8
Do these guys really expect people to watch 70min videos? They need to learn conciseness. Jesus.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Do these guys really expect people to watch 70min videos? They need to learn conciseness. Jesus.
Yeah, I was tempted to ask STS-134 to give us a quick summary. He deserves a medal for making it through the entire segment.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...s-public-anger

"On the basis of this information, there is evidence that human-to-human transmission has occurred among close contacts since the middle of December 2019," it reads. The paper notes that seven health care workers contracted the virus between Jan. 1 and Jan. 11 -- significant evidence of human-to-human transmission.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:32 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
18k views..not exactly "viral".
Bring back "beer girl".

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Feb 3, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VGPYtbTk8

#drtedrosresign
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
This is a good one to listen to (not watch). Like, download it using youtube-dl and extract the audio, put it on your phone, and listen to it while you drive. That's what I do.

Originally Posted by moondog
Yeah, I was tempted to ask STS-134 to give us a quick summary. He deserves a medal for making it through the entire segment.
They called out the WHO for:
- Not declaring a PHEIC as soon as it was confirmed that the virus was outside of China *and* it was known to be human-to-human transmittable

- Using language in its statement (which I found here: https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...t-30012020.pdf) that "WHO doesn’t recommend, and actually opposes, any restrictions for travel and trade or other measures against China." Which is exactly what I criticized them for, since in the same statement, they praise China's handling of the crisis, which includes closing entire cities and restricting travel inside its own borders.
They also critized this quote:
"Let me be clear. This declaration is not a vote of no confidence in China. On the contrary, WHO continues to have the confidence in China’s capacity to control the outbreak. I’ll repeat this. Let me be clear. This declaration is not a vote of no confidence in China. On the contrary. WHO continues to have confidence in China’s capacity to control the outbreak. As you know, I was in China just a few days ago, where I met with President Xi Jinping. I left in absolutely no doubt about China’s commitment to transparency and to protecting the world’s people."
First, what does a declaration of a PHEIC have to do with whether you're confident (or not) in anyone's abilities to control an outbreak? Either it's an emergency or it's not, and if it's an emergency, then you do whatever it takes to stop it.

- Suggesting that borders don't need to be closed to halt the spread of this virus, citing the need for "sharing information". As if people are actually needed to physically carry information in the information age. Then criticized the CCP for blocking social media and hampering the flow of information at the same time. It's literally the Chinese government that is preventing the sharing of information about this virus (by blocking social media/deleting posts/not being transparent) and yet, the WHO cites the need for open borders for "sharing information". One of them then said, "are we living in the stone age"? Furthermore, they pointed out that medical supplies do not need commercial flights to be brought in, as they can be brought in on cargo planes, without 200+ humans who could be carrying the virus on the same plane.

- Suggesting that you need to take into account the "economic impacts" of restricting travel. WHO is not the WTO, and their job is to protect the public health.

For my own analysis of that statement, I'm going to pull a quote from the above linked statement (not mentioned in the video):
"We would have seen many more cases outside China by now - and probably deaths - if it were not for the government’s efforts and the progress they have made to protect their own people and the people of the world. The speed with which China detected the outbreak, isolated the virus, sequenced the genome, and shared it with WHO and the world are very impressive, and beyond words. So is China’s commitment to transparency and to supporting other countries. In many ways, China is actually setting a new standard for outbreak response, and it’s not an exaggeration." Seriously? The Chinese authorities sat on their asses for over 3 weeks while the virus spread, silenced those who were trying to tell the truth, and tried to sweep this under the rug, and the WHO calls this "a new standard for outbreak response"? They ENDANGERED their own people by refusing to release information within Wuhan at the end of December. They authorities obviously knew they were dealing with something serious because they shut down the wet market suspected of harboring the virus on January 1. Except they lied and told people it was for "renovations". WHO should be disbanded if they're going to put out statements like that. They're not being useful at all.
percysmith, ashkale and Eagle2000 like this.

Last edited by STS-134; Feb 3, 2020 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:13 pm

Thanks for the summary. International law --regardless of regulatory body-- is only effective when times are good, and even then, more powerful countries are afforded the loudest voices.
percysmith and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:26 pm

This is a good one to listen to (not watch). Like, download it using youtube-dl and extract the audio, put it on your phone, and listen to it while you drive. That's what I do.

They called out the WHO for:
- Not declaring a PHEIC as soon as it was confirmed that the virus was outside of China *and* it was known to be human-to-human transmittable

- Using language in its statement (which I found here: https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...t-30012020.pdf) that "WHO doesn’t recommend, and actually opposes, any restrictions for travel and trade or other measures against China." Which is exactly what I criticized them for, since in the same statement, they praise China's handling of the crisis, which includes closing entire cities and restricting travel inside its own borders.
They also critized this quote:
"Let me be clear. This declaration is not a vote of no confidence in China. On the contrary, WHO continues to have the confidence in China’s capacity to control the outbreak. I’ll repeat this. Let me be clear. This declaration is not a vote of no confidence in China. On the contrary. WHO continues to have confidence in China’s capacity to control the outbreak. As you know, I was in China just a few days ago, where I met with President Xi Jinping. I left in absolutely no doubt about China’s commitment to transparency and to protecting the world’s people."
First, what does a declaration of a PHEIC have to do with whether you're confident (or not) in anyone's abilities to control an outbreak? Either it's an emergency or it's not, and if it's an emergency, then you do whatever it takes to stop it.

- Suggesting that borders don't need to be closed to halt the spread of this virus, citing the need for "sharing information". As if people are actually needed to physically carry information in the information age. Then criticized the CCP for blocking social media and hampering the flow of information at the same time. It's literally the Chinese government that is preventing the sharing of information about this virus (by blocking social media/deleting posts/not being transparent) and yet, the WHO cites the need for open borders for "sharing information". One of them then said, "are we living in the stone age"? Furthermore, they pointed out that medical supplies do not need commercial flights to be brought in, as they can be brought in on cargo planes, without 200+ humans who could be carrying the virus on the same plane.

- Suggesting that you need to take into account the "economic impacts" of restricting travel. WHO is not the WTO, and their job is to protect the public health.

For my own analysis of that statement, I'm going to pull a quote from the above linked statement (not mentioned in the video):
"We would have seen many more cases outside China by now - and probably deaths - if it were not for the government’s efforts and the progress they have made to protect their own people and the people of the world. The speed with which China detected the outbreak, isolated the virus, sequenced the genome, and shared it with WHO and the world are very impressive, and beyond words. So is China’s commitment to transparency and to supporting other countries. In many ways, China is actually setting a new standard for outbreak response, and it’s not an exaggeration." Seriously? The Chinese authorities sat on their asses for over 3 weeks while the virus spread, silenced those who were trying to tell the truth, and tried to sweep this under the rug, and the WHO calls this "a new standard for outbreak response"? They ENDANGERED their own people by refusing to release information within Wuhan at the end of December. They authorities obviously knew they were dealing with something serious because they shut down the wet market suspected of harboring the virus on January 1. Except they lied and told people it was for "renovations". WHO should be disbanded if they're going to put out statements like that. They're not being useful at all.
Well, while they still screwed it up, at least they're doing an order of magnitude better than with SARS where it took months to even acknowledge its existence.

Also, seems to me that while the local response was handle terribly (due to general Chinese political culture), at least once the central government realized the magnitude of the problem and took over, the response was pretty well handled. I'm glad the CCP took the drastic measures to instantly quarantine the entire country, as I think we'd be in a much worse place already had they not.

As far as the WHO, they're obviously pandering to China. Perhaps they think that keeping China happy with them is net-positive and a bad reaction from China would make things worse. Idk… I'm trying to find a charitable interpretation here.
percysmith and nk15 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:28 pm

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...first-death-39

Coronavirus: Hong Kong confirms first death, a 39-year-old man

See… people do die outside of Hubei. Like I've been saying, it's a matter of time lag between infection and death, and I think this is just the first of many.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:53 pm

As far as the WHO, they're obviously pandering to China. Perhaps they think that keeping China happy with them is net-positive and a bad reaction from China would make things worse. Idk… I'm trying to find a charitable interpretation here.
Yeah but if you're going to lavish praise where praise is due, then you need to also criticize where criticism is due. They praised China for the good things it's doing to contain the outbreak (basically everything since around January 20), but failed to criticize them for trying to silence doctors, having a 40k family banquet just 3 days before they locked down the city, etc. Now maybe they don't want to criticize past actions that cannot be changed, like you don't really scold someone for leaving a space heater running near a curtain when the house is on fire and you're trying to get his or her family out, since the priority is getting the people out. But why not just have neither praise nor criticism in the statement?

Personally, I don't think WHO statements should praise or criticize anything. These statements should be factual. Here is the situation, here's how many people are infected, here's how it spreads, here's what we need to do to stop it. It really doesn't matter how you got to this point. That's the situation now, we cannot change the past, and the only thing you're concerned about is how to prevent it from getting worse going forward. And if that means causing a 20% economic tank, so be it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.