Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Going back to facts, news from Russia. So instead of of implementing quarantine the Tzar decided to declare paid holiday for a week in the country and employers must bore the cost. Plus (and this is completely something new across the world in terms of response) bank account having more than 1m RUB in deposits will be taxed.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Graph of the rates of Reported Deaths by US states:

(Graph posted on Twitter by former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, @ScottGottliebMD )
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Visconti
I’ve dealt with quantitative financial and Economics models to assess a wide variety of risk. I’m not a scientist, but I assume the concept of exhaustion would exist in any form of exponential growth modeling regardless of the industry. In my world, when we try to value an entity’s worth, the growth projections naturally “exhaust” as the market cap grows. In other words, a small company may grow 100% per year, but that growth will naturally slow as the company reaches, say, a 10 billion, 50 billion and 100 billion caps respectively.

Perhaps, it’s different in the science fields, but, in mine, we’d never model any scenario without growth deceleration from natural exhaustion. While this may occur at later stages in some cases, they naturally occur in all cases—it’s just a matter of when.

In this case, I have to question whether or not our experts reviewed, assuming they even based any of our policies on this model, these projections thoroughly enough to question the methodology and input assumptions. Generally, when I review models for potential allocation of capital, I can tell almost reflexively if there’s some potential flaw(s) with the numbers that merit additional scrutiny.

This isn’t my area of expertise, but I’m reading how many countries may have based some of their policies on this Imperial College model. If ours did so in any way that has lead these extraordinary measures, we need know, in my view.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be better to use probabilistic models.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You seem to be thinking of the standard diffusion curve models, which basically seem to be behind the predictions that COVID-19 will "burn out" when 60-80% of the population becomes infected.

If people can't catch it more than once (with reasonable probability and over a reasonable time horizon), then of course as more people become infected, the rate of new infections will decline because the number of available new victims is greatly decreased.
What you guys described are the empirical models that try to simulate the nonlinear aspect of the nature, which is described by the fundamental prediction differential equation. Namely, when the amplitude is no longer small, use of a constant doubling time would be problematic. This is because non-linear interaction occurs, and when outside forcing such as change of behavior or mitigation efforts yield results. This would be reflected in an increase in doubling time (you could also have decrease if something goes wrong, such as a collapse of heathcare infrastructure, loss of health care workers, or a hurricane forces evacuation of population to a stadium etc).

Time change of any and all physical quantities is governed by the differential equation. That is the fundamental mathematical principal of any natural changes and is the basis of Calculus. All statistical models (what every fancy names they may have) are all empirical models trying to use associations, correlations, or probabilities etc to approximate the solution of the differential equation.. They contain no basic mechanism describing the nature. . They can be very useful as they are data-driven. Some AI system such as artificial neuron network is similar.

In climate studies because we know the basic physics principals we can compute nonlinear terms from physical laws. (In reality there are other difficulties so the climate models predicting global warming also has its own set of problems.) I am not an epidemiologist so I do not know the details how they deal the non-linear effect of a variable doubling time. I assume they have to know R0, which may also vary with time, and use some historical data to tune an empirical model that include the effect of counter measures. .

It is obvious that how to determine the doubling rime is the most critical issue here. The results are very sensitive, because that is the nature of this problem. I assume they use an empirical model (probability or whatever you call it) used to estimate the doubling time. This kind of models are call dynamic-statistical model for us atmospheric scientists (such as climate change models predicting global warming). But if we use only statistical model to predict how much global warming will occur in the next century, we will have much less confidence. So in the COVID-19 case if you apply an empirical model directly to predict the final outcome rather than the doubling time and feed it into the differential equation, you introduce more errors.

(Edit add) Thank you for the opportunity of this discussion. I think this shows that how important the counter measures such as social distancing.are. A small improvement of the doubling time can have huge benefits because the sensitivity nature of the linear solutions.
TravelingZoomer likes this.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Mar 26, 2020 at 9:36 pm Reason: Adding a reflection
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
I would prefer a mortality rate projection within an acceptable range, which I'm confident we'll have with the amount of data we're gathering here in the States. Once we have that, I'll be in a better position to offer you a proper and more comprehensive reply on exactly what I think.

PS - Sweden and/or Netherlands aren't doing anything? If so, I fervently hope they continue with the strategy so we may review their data. With the price we're paying, for my own sanity, I need know who was right, wrong, or in between.
I also hope Sweden and Netherlands keep their current approaches. There’s extremely limited evidence for doing anything else, and thanks to EURO MOMO we can track the all-cause death rates in these individual countries on a weekly basis, so it’s a good opportunity to collect some better evidence one way or the other.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trevor Noah interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci:

and Dr. Vivek Murthy (former US Surgeon General):

Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Asymptomatic a few days earlier to being on ventilator with damaged lungs.

The imagery shows extensive damage to the lungs of a generally healthy 59-year-old male with high blood pressure, Mortman said. Since becoming seriously ill, the patient requires a ventilator to help him breathe, but even on the highest setting, it's not enough. He also needs another machine that circulates and then oxygenates his blood, Mortman said.

"This is not a 70, 80-year-old immunosuppressed, diabetic patient," Mortman said. "Other than high blood pressure, he has no other significant medical issues. This is a guy who's minding his own business and gets it ... If we were to repeat the 360VR images now, that is one week later, there is a chance that the infection and inflammatory process could be worse."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/healt...deo/index.html
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
i completely agree with this. We don’t know what we don’t know. For instance the new onset anosmia alerts from the U.K. and Germany. I had to tell our CMO about these to include them in our screening questions.

https://www.entuk.org/sites/default/...of%20COVID.pdf

and as of 5 pm I am told there are no additional testing kits in central Texas. We started with 20000.
I think there are huge complexities in clinical presentation we are not capturing. At the very least, we should be comprehensively recording symptoms of new onset illness in the community even in the absence of testing. We are not even doing this in the UK.

I have a theory (and I should stress it is just a theory and the only evidence I have for it is my clinical experience and observation so far) that this virus can lead to a wide variety of clinical presentations which can broadly be categorised into 3 groups:

(i) Asymptomatic/minimally symptomatic: no perceived subjective symptoms or very mild symptoms not perceived to be abnormal (e.g. very mild sore throat/ticky feeling in throat/nasal congestion/feeling slightly tired or not quite right).

(ii) Mild/moderate upper respiratory tract: sore throat, coryzal symptoms, possible fever/cough, possible loss of sense of smell/taste. Resolved within a few days or a week or two.

(iii) Moderate/severe bronchopneumonia which may lead to ARDS: this is the group we currently have the most data on. Generally older/underlying medical conditions but not exclusively. For those who do recover, recovery time is of the order of weeks/months.

If this is true then we need to learn about the epidemiology of each type of clinical presentation and the links between them. It is possible that R0/duration of infectivity/illness duration/degree of immunity following recovery varies considerably depending on the nature of clinical presentation and the epidemiological models are failing to capture this complexity by taking the standard susceptible/infectious/recovered approach.

There is also the possibility of new strains of the virus emerging which have varying pathophysiology. This could complicate matters even further.

We urgently need seroprevalence studies. Even if the assays are not 100% accurate (and I suspect to begin with they will unfortunately have a high degree of false negatives and false positives), at population level combined with careful documentation of clinical symptoms and progression in well curated case registers, we could begin to tease apart some of the complexity. We need to go back to basics and start collecting detailed clinical histories from anyone who feels unwell in the coming months.

The main thing I am learning right now is that for some reason COVID-19 does not seem to be behaving like any other previous pandemics we have faced in recent times. There is something unusual about this virus, its epidemiology and its pathophysiology which will take a long time to fully understand.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doctoravios
The main thing I am learning right now is that for some reason COVID-19 does not seem to be behaving like any other previous pandemics we have faced in recent times. There is something unusual about this virus, its epidemiology and its pathophysiology which will take a long time to fully understand.
For myself (and my kid) it was as if we both had a standard (snotty) cold before symptoms consistent with COVID-19 set in later. Am still feeling guilty for exposing people during that initial time. I took on board all the advice given (in English and Spanish), complied with the British Government’s and NHS advice (in fact was more cautious than told to be), but by the time I had a temperature and cough - and then later the sensation of chest/lung restriction - which made it clear I was not to leave the house at all, I may well have passed it on.
I kept my distance right from the beginning, but the pressure to keep my child at school was quite intense at the time (this was in the week commencing 9th March). It took a lot of conviction and some bluddy mindedness to keep her from returning on the 11th March. She never did go back to school. (It’s been homeschooling this week along with most of the rest of her class - we’re lucky she’s the right age for this (10), my sympathy for those with younger kids, particularly those who struggle with reading at the best of times)

Each week another symptom considered typical of Covid-19 seems to make it onto the “how do I know if I have it?” lists in the Press and Social Media.
lupine likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:06 am

Is there a website with data visualisation and modelling options so one can plot graphic of how many cases will be if number of cases increased x percent per day, or having an option to model suppressing new cases? Also to forecast if country A has x cases and B - y cases (X>Y) then how many days will it take for B to get to level of A?

I understand that this can be plotted in excel, but if there is a ready option it would be better.,
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by invisible
Is there a website with data visualisation and modelling options so one can plot graphic of how many cases will be if number of cases increased x percent per day, or having an option to model suppressing new cases? Also to forecast if country A has x cases and B - y cases (X>Y) then how many days will it take for B to get to level of A?

I understand that this can be plotted in excel, but if there is a ready option it would be better.,
There may be something here: https://www.tableau.com/covid-19-cor...data-resources
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Boris Johnson (UK Prime Minister) has developed symptoms of fever and cough and tested positive for COVID-19:

We are all susceptible. We must all work together to tackle this pandemic.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Kinsa Makes smart thermometers. They have been taking the data generated by the thermometer and manual inputs into their app to generate the rates of feverish illnesses. They have made their map public: https://healthweather.us

For us in Jacksonville, I can see that the rate of feverish illnesses have declined since the peak on March 18th. Looking at the map this weekend was very scary to see Florida lit up red for atypical illness.

Andy Slavitt on Twitter seems to have access to more of their data and has a chart showing the difference between Santa Clara and Miami:

Of course he suggests that Miami will be hard hit in the next few weeks.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:26 am

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...kills-hundreds

Hundreds dead and more injured in Iran after ingesting methanol in the (mistaken) belief that it would fight COVID-19. Just a tragedy on top of the other tragedies facing Iran.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:24 am

another report from Imperial College

Our analysis therefore suggests that healthcare demand can only be kept within manageable levels through the rapid adoption of public health measures (including testing and isolation of cases and wider social distancing measures) to suppress transmission, similar to those being adopted in many countries at the current time. If a suppression strategy is implemented early (at 0.2 deaths per 100,000 population per week) and sustained, then 38.7 million lives could be saved whilst if it is initiated when death numbers are higher (1.6 deaths per 100,000 population per week) then 30.7 million lives could be saved. Delays in implementing strategies to suppress transmission will lead to worse outcomes and fewer lives saved.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-globa...n-coronavirus/
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
https://globalnews.ca/news/6741037/c...ubsidy-canada/

"Trudeau promises 75% wage subsidy for businesses hit by coronavirus pandemic

The federal wage subsidy for small and medium-sized businesses hit by the new coronavirus pandemic is jumping up to 75 per cent, the prime minister announced on Friday."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.