Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SamirD
Not confused about anything considering testing standardization is all over the place in every state. Unconfirmed cases definitely don't mean there aren't any, and that's kind of the question because both MS and AL are showing that they have no confirmed cases--and there's only 8 states left without confirmed cases last time I checked. Local news a few days ago said there would be a high probability of it coming, and now virtually surrounded the only way it won't is if everyone play freeze tag for a couple of weeks.
AL has its first case now.

https://whnt.com/news/coronavirus/go...us-in-alabama/
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:17 am

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said up to 70% of Germans will get this ,
Lets say the USA "only" gets 30% , much more than the Hospitals can care for !

What are the best practices to stay at home with the Virus if you do not have pre-existing conditions ,

Is there a website that discusses this ?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said up to 70% of Germans will get this ,
Lets say the USA "only" gets 30% , much more than the Hospitals can care for !

What are the best practices to stay at home with the Virus if you do not have pre-existing conditions ,

Is there a website that discusses this ?
Check the CDC website. They have a lot of information.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
MS first case was reported a couple of days ago (but I think it was actually identified as a potential positive one week ago--he had traveled to/from Florida). I'm in MS now. And our household has been stocking up and now hiding. We assume the virus is already more prevalent in the community than is known. I'm afraid testing capacity is worrisome in these parts, but I don't really know the situation.
wrp96 and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: United Airlines | MileagePlus
Some updates on the airport screening situation after the March 13 EU ban. Out of the original 20 airports with COVID-19 screening capabilities, only 11 will provide "enhanced screening" for flights arriving from EU.

All passengers from the EU should go through one of the below airports as their first port of entry.

Example:

FRA->IAH was cancelled and passengers placed on previously FRA->ORD->IAH scheduled flights.

The 11 airports currently set up for screening are:

> John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
> Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
> San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
> Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
> Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
> Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
> Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
> Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia
> Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
> Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
> Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:49 am

I didn't see this before, on a Canadian team isolating the COVID-19 virus yesterday. Kudos to them. Apologies if this was out there already in the thread and I missed it.

Either way, open the tweet and scroll down a bit for some much needed levity.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Pinging doctoravios and trublue

I have one question which might be outside of your direct expertise, but you so far have provided very valuable information.

Because we already entered into mitigation/delay the spread stage, what ordinary people can do to help to slow down the spread before reaching the phase of area/state/country lockdown? Apart from personal hygiene and consciously avoiding unnecessary travel?

Can people volunteer at local hospitals to help offloading overworked nurses and doctors? Or to do something else useful?

I guess Civil Defense classes would be highly useful, but when I had them (>40 years ago, behind the Iron Curtain), it was mostly told what to do during nuclear/chemical/biological attack... Civil defense during pandemics were never part of the course...

Ideas?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I didn't see this before, on a Canadian team isolating the COVID-19 virus yesterday. Kudos to them. Apologies if this was out there already in the thread and I missed it.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyLuscombe/...59139823927302

Either way, open the tweet and scroll down a bit for some much needed levity.
This was done months ago and the sequence of the virus has been used in tests by the WHO and. others. for months. I don't understand this at all.
notquiteaff and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by narvik
Are you saying my Libreoffice-generated 'temperature graph' made in 20 minutes wasn't good enough?
You definitely should be commended for not submitting your analysis to a journal and issuing a news release to claim a scientific discovery.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:02 pm

What I have read is that FEMA and the like cover whatever is left of civil defense organizations (and budgets) outside the cities. These are mostly gone or have devolved in many areas.

They may not be best for managing contagions anyway, since outfits that rely on first responders usually focus on securing the populace and resources from varying impacts. Not enforcing regimes that can scale up vastly and somewhat uniformly, like block quarantines and searches.

Last edited by FlitBen; Mar 13, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by invisible
Pinging doctoravios and trublue

I have one question which might be outside of your direct expertise, but you so far have provided very valuable information.

Because we already entered into mitigation/delay the spread stage, what ordinary people can do to help to slow down the spread before reaching the phase of area/state/country lockdown? Apart from personal hygiene and consciously avoiding unnecessary travel?

Can people volunteer at local hospitals to help offloading overworked nurses and doctors? Or to do something else useful?

I guess Civil Defense classes would be highly useful, but when I had them (>40 years ago, behind the Iron Curtain), it was mostly told what to do during nuclear/chemical/biological attack... Civil defense during pandemics were never part of the course...

Ideas?
While waiting for doctoravios and trublue's expert opinions, here are my two cents:

Non trained personnel probably should stay away from hospitals to avoid becoming new patients to add to the burden.

Civil defense system in China played very valuable roles in China's success of controlling the transmission
1. They (mostly retirees and older housewives) man the posts at apartment building entrances, neighborhood gates, street corners, with thermometer guns and record the name and contact information of everyone who passes through, whether leaving or entering. They send information of those who have symptoms up through the monitoring system almost real time..
2. They go door to door to inform residents the newest official messages and rules as soon as they receive them.
3. They monitor the compliance of residents. Any one without a face mask, or does not keep a safe distance from others in a queue, etc. will be directed to correct.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American man confirmed as Taiwan's 50th COVID-19 case - "Based on the timeline of the man's case, Chen said Taiwanese authorities believe he was likely infected by one of his American friends [who visited him in late February].": https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202003130013

Taiwan has done a good job defending the first wave (Mainland China) and is now increasingly seeing cases from Europe (and now America). They are preparing for things to get much worse.

JAMA article: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2762689
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:36 pm

The NHS (UK Government) will only allow FFP3 Masks to be used by Doctors/Nurses once a patient has a positive swab result. The rest of the time we are to use simple surgical masks only.

Since I work in A&E, I have ended up buying a stash to protect myself - as obviously nobody will have a positive swab result on arrival to A&E. I do feel like we are being guaranteed to be infected with their approach.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: CX Gold, WOH Globalist , BonVoy Plat
Originally Posted by username
American man confirmed as Taiwan's 50th COVID-19 case

Taiwan has done a good job defending the first wave (Mainland China) and is now increasingly seeing cases from Europe (and now America). They are preparing for things to get much worse.
Currently in Taiwan, honestly speaking I’m more worry about this upcoming 2nd wave.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
and now its a national emergency in the US

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...085c6327bbf979
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.