Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:46 pm

National Pandemic Plan--2017 Update

An emerging influenza pandemic virus can place extraordinary and sustained demands on public health and health care systems and on providers of essential community services across the United States and throughout the world. By some estimates, and based on experience with past pandemics, 20 to 30 percent of the global population could develop clinical disease; a substantial proportion of these people could develop severe disease, and even die.

Although the 1918 pandemic resulted in an estimated 500,000 deaths in the United States (out of a total population then of about 105 million), the 1968 pandemic caused an estimated 34,000 US deaths (out of a total population then of about 201 million), and the 2009 A(H1N1) pandemic resulted in approximately 12,500 US deaths (out of a total population then of about 305 million). 8 [omitted]

The direct and indirect health costs alone (not including disruptions in trade and other costs to business and industry) have been estimated to approach $181 billion for a moderate pandemic (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) with no interventions. Faced with such a threat, the United States and its global partners will have to respond quickly and decisively to protect human health and preserve community functioning.
CDC. (2017, June). National Pandemic Influenza Plan -- 2017 Update. Available at https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-planning.html and https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...ort-2017v2.pdf
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Reports of price gouging and measures to deal with them:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/go...cid=spartanntp

Last edited by nk15; Mar 3, 2020 at 11:11 pm
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by nk15
The Seattle comic-con will take place next week with 100k attendance, will the imaginary superpowers and costumes protect them, or are we going to lose a bunch of superheroes?

That seems, unsound.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I’m in the process of a clean-up. As we’ve posted before, this thread is meant to be a resource for reporting on the virus. Fear-mongering, speculation and arguing do not serve the thread’s purpose. Please discontinue those lines of discussion.

l etoile
sr moderator
karenkay, Temedar, lupine and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by helvetic
Arriving into SG yesterday they checked if I'd been to KR.
Transfer included?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:40 am

[Redacted reference to deleted post] Your chances to die in car accident are much higher, yet you don’t ask people to pay you to get in a car.

Above is an illustration of how average people estimate risks incorrectly. This is well known phenomenon in Finance when people trying to minimize risks.

And with the current situation we have another manifestation of misguided risk analysis. Even BBC started to pay attention:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51731422
Spoiler

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 4, 2020 at 9:50 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

The Official Coronavirus Numbers Are Wrong, and Everyone Knows It

Because the U.S. data on coronavirus infections are so deeply flawed, the quantification of the outbreak obscures more than it illuminates.
ALEXIS C. MADRIGALMARCH 3, 2020
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...avirus/607348/

Public health legend Anthony Fauci says working with the White House during an outbreak can be difficult because politicians can cause complacency in their attempts to 'calm people down'

https://news.yahoo.com/public-health...153616731.html

Last edited by PanAmWT; Mar 4, 2020 at 2:14 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Ford Motor Co. banned its employees from any air travel for most of this month, taking more extreme measures than some of its biggest peers after two employees in China contracted the coronavirus.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...?sref=ExbtjcSG
The article says that Ford has banned all BUSINESS travel, not all air travel. Employees are apparently free to travel as they wish for leisure. There's a big difference and it would be hard to imagine an employer banning legal travel being done during an employee's free time, for example to attend the wedding or funeral of a close relative.
narvik and txpenny like this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The article says that Ford has banned all BUSINESS travel, not all air travel. Employees are apparently free to travel as they wish for leisure. There's a big difference and it would be hard to imagine an employer banning legal travel being done during an employee's free time, for example to attend the wedding or funeral of a close relative.
While an employer can't ban personal travel outright, they could do so indirectly by e.g. requiring employees who're returning from certain areas (China, Italy, etc.) to self-quarantine for 14 days before going into the office.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
This story from Switzerland is baffling:

A Swiss Member Of Parliament (solely) wore a face mask whilst at work in the federal parliament building a few days ago, and was immediately reprimanded for doing so.
Initially just kicked out of the room, a compromise was struck and she was given permission to come back for voting only.

She returned yesterday -again wearing a face mask- to vote, and removed her mask to briefly speak regarding her voting decision. In the process of removing the mask her eye glasses fell off and shattered on the ground.
Apparently her co-workers observing this found this amusing and "reported it with a touch of Schadenfreude".

Amazing how cultures differ so greatly in acceptability of wearing face masks!
(And I wouldn't be surprised if they'll all wear masks in a few weeks!)

Reported in the Swiss "tabloid" Blick (in German):
https://www.blick.ch/news/politik/be...d15779738.html
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by tauphi
While an employer can't ban personal travel outright, they could do so indirectly by e.g. requiring employees who're returning from certain areas (China, Italy, etc.) to self-quarantine for 14 days before going into the office.
This is exactly what our company is doing.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
The same here. Plus the new rule is that we need to notify HR on any international travel, including personal.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
Hello FT'rs,

My home base is Tampa and this Tampa Bay Times article is very concerning: Florida Keeps Quiet on CoronaVirus Patient who flew through Tampa Airport

It's ridiculous that something as simple as telling us the airline(s) and flight number(s) these two travelers flew on would be withheld from the public. I travel through TPA every week!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I think these examples are missing the point. Some actions have immediate returns on risk: e.g. helvetic making a shed-load of money (for me on my academic salary it's an awful lot!) on some option bets on the market. He took a calculated risk, and he won, he could have lost, but either way, results were almost immediately apparent. The poisoned pill example is also a case in point. But what if we modify the experiment just a teeny bit: that 1/million pills will cause an awful but 100% predictable death, in exactly 5 years with no indication as to what will happen in the interim? The actual risks are exactly the same: but you won't know whether you 'won' or 'lost' the bet...you'll just have to wait it out, for 5 years. I would hazard far fewer people would take that bet, or need a higher threshold to do so.

That's what we're facing with global climate change (the bet changes to your grandkids will have an awful life 50 years' hence), or COVID-19: do I take a personal hit: whether it's for my leisure pursuits, productivity of my workplace, educational opportunities for my children etc, for some potential gain -- and especially if that potential gain is not obviously apparent: I might get COVID-19 anyway, so what's the point of getting it now or in April (despite the fact that delay would ease infrastructure burdens). Furthermore, the risks aren't 1/million, they are much, much shorter than that.

tb

PS as mentioned, I think Iran will be an informative case study (if we get data) for what happens if you don't mitigate...I would estimate 100k cases in Iran by now, if 50% in Tehran, that's 0.5% point prevalence. Remember, most models predict that eventually minimum of 10% and probably >50% total infected (although with mitigation, the hope is point prevalence will be under 5-10%). If the prevalence really is as high as 0.5%, that would grow to 10% in under 2 weeks...if we see total infrastructure collapse in Tehran in that time, that's a salutary lesson. Qom is already under severe strain: hospitals are full, including makeshift tent hospitals. It's population is just over 1M, and it's probably already over 1% prevalence...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:04 am

RE: Jar Scenario

I wouldn't play, because unlike, say, a baseball game, there's ZERO utility of satisfaction from playing aside from dying and monetary compensation where I could far more effectively accrue elsewhere without mortality risk. Now, if you stuck a gun to my head and forced me to play, it would be the odds picking the death pill balanced with the economic value of my life, the value of XX years of income for my expected life span. I assume this is what H was doing when he instinctively shot out his number.

As to the known risks of the coronavirus, there are certain risks one must take. You have to earn a living. You need to ensure your family enjoys life and continue to do all the things that make life worth living. In my baseball scenario, there's a risk where I may die from a car accident on my way to the stadium, eat a poisoned hot dog, and a foul ball smashing into my frontal lobes; and, this in addition to the coronavirus and whatever other unknown pathogen risks. I understand them and take those risks with my daughter because we enjoy it and the moments we share will last a life time. Why would I play the jar?

The virus risk as estimated by the Pros aren't speculation, but based on their best educated guess, guidance if you will, on what they think will happen. All plans are made with future projections. It doesn't mean they have to be right, but their educated guess is valuable, since it's better than mine, a layman. And, you can't suck and still be paid for doing what you do after 10+ years, so I assume all the experts in the industry are all equally well qualified. That's why folks like TB get the big bucks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.