FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Feb 10, 2019 5:45 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 30759814)
The AA gift card terms say that:

I want the pay the taxes on an award originating outside the US. Are there any workarounds to pay with the AA gift card?

Gift cards cannot be used to pay for the taxes/fees on award tickets, so even if your flight was originating in the US you still wouldn't be able to use it. But to answer your question no, there are no real workarounds to use gift cards on flights that don't originate in the US etc.

happyvoid Feb 11, 2019 7:53 pm

i am flying business class to bcn but stopping in phl , would i have access to lax flagship lounge? My leg from lax to phl is first but phl to bcn is business

JDiver Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 30767069)
i am flying business class to bcn but stopping in phl , would i have access to lax flagship lounge? My leg from lax to phl is first but phl to bcn is business

PHL-BCN in Business should get Flagship Loungevaccess at LAX as well.

happyvoid Feb 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Thanks for info. I plan to fly to Barcelona but have layover in PHL for 12 hours, can the airport store my luggage during that time?
My final destination is BCN. But since I am flying from LAX to PHL , i arrive to phl at 6:00 am , but my flight to bcn is at 7:00 pm the same day

JDiver Feb 12, 2019 12:39 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 30767565)
Thanks for info. I plan to fly to Barcelona but have layover in PHL for 12 hours, can the airport store my luggage during that time?
My final destination is BCN. But since I am flying from LAX to PHL , i arrive to phl at 6:00 am , but my flight to bcn is at 7:00 pm the same day

AA usually has a baggage connection cutoff of 12 hours. Try through checking, but they might deny you.

happyvoid Feb 12, 2019 2:37 am

Is that 12 hours from the time you land or the time you fly? I plan to land on PHL at 6:00 AM. But that say day I will fly to BCN from 7:00 PM. So it is about 13 hours. But is it possible for me to stay in the centurion lounge for an hour and then drop off luggage from the 12 hour mark? Also, one of the passenger is Platinum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference

guv1976 Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 30767971)
Is that 12 hours from the time you land or the time you fly? I plan to land on PHL at 6:00 AM. But that say day I will fly to BCN from 7:00 PM. So it is about 13 hours. But is it possible for me to stay in the centurion lounge for an hour and then drop off luggage from the 12 hour mark? Also, one of the passenger is Platinum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference

Suggest that you call AA and ask. The fact that AA will allow you to through-check a bag on a less-than-12-hour connection does not necessarily mean that AA will let you check bags in at PHL 12 hours before departure time.

RichardNixon Feb 13, 2019 8:54 am

I'm flying ORD-DFW (AA 1106) on April 16th. The flight originally left at 11:45am but now leaves at 10:50 (55 min net change). I booked through American Express Travel so I called them up and requested to change to a later flight that day. They are insisting that because the change is under an hour that a fee will apply. My reading of the guide here is that "If the Schedule Change is: 59 minutes or less - May book AA or AA* (any AA Codeshare) flights for the same travel dates, origination/destination, same inventory as originally ticketed" means they should rebook me without fees. Am I reading that correctly? Is Amex wrong?

JJeffrey Feb 13, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by RichardNixon (Post 30773565)
I'm flying ORD-DFW (AA 1106) on April 16th. The flight originally left at 11:45am but now leaves at 10:50 (55 min net change). I booked through American Express Travel so I called them up and requested to change to a later flight that day. They are insisting that because the change is under an hour that a fee will apply. My reading of the guide here is that "If the Schedule Change is: 59 minutes or less - May book AA or AA* (any AA Codeshare) flights for the same travel dates, origination/destination, same inventory as originally ticketed" means they should rebook me without fees. Am I reading that correctly? Is Amex wrong?

I would certainly try a few HUCAs with Amex.

JDiver Feb 13, 2019 9:23 am

AMEX Travel sells some changeable fares, actually more than AA. But as a travel agency, they can superimpose other requirements to the airkine’s. So you can have a fare AA detailed fare rules allow specified changes on, but the selling travel agency as “ticket owner” can impose more restrictive rules.

That’s one of the problems one can expect with OTAs - some may not refund cancellations even though the airline might have refunded or vouchered all but a change fee.

BillDB Feb 13, 2019 11:37 am

Hello,

When is the best time to check in for a Basic Economy fare to try to score the best seats? I know with Frontier I always check in as late as possible (like an hour before takeoff) and it usually works pretty well. Is AA Basic Economy set up the same way? Or should I try to check in as early as possible?

Thanks!

Jonnyphan Feb 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi - Probably a Newbie question;

Hoping I'll be able to make a SDFC to my current booking IAD>CLT>MSY. I know you can only make those changes 24hours in advance of the flight you want to change to. I want to check if that 24hours is from the first leg or any flights in the booking? So;

Does that mean it needs to be T-24 to the new IAD>CLT flight or the 2nd leg CLT>MSY?

audiodave1 Feb 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Hello Folks,
AA Platinum traveling economy for my employer.
Just found out I need to be in Sydney (Dep from PHL Sat) Monday morning, have to be home Thursday. Trying to decode best rate of return booking straight AA or straight Qantas. See the flights but don't want to miss out on the most. Looks like class K on AA flights, not sure what economy class is on Qantas. $2900 on AA, $3500 on Qantas.

Help appreciated.
Dave

Mwenenzi Feb 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by audiodave1 (Post 30780769)
AA Platinum traveling economy for my employer.
Just found out I need to be in Sydney (Dep from PHL Sat) Monday morning, have to be home Thursday. Trying to decode best rate of return booking straight AA or straight Qantas. See the flights but don't want to miss out on the most. Looks like class K on AA flights, not sure what economy class is on Qantas. $2900 on AA, $3500 on Qantas.

Money matters, even if its your employers
Can your employer pay for premium economy? (not economy plus)

QF do not fly from PHL so the first flight will be an AA codeshare
QF fly from JFK(via LAX), DFW, LAX & SFO to SYD

Most(all?) the flights ex USA land at SYD very early morning.
You would probably earn more AA miles/status on a AA ticket/flight number than QF, but will need to do the calculation.

With AA you could upgrade with AA ff miles/instrument. But hard. AA thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...iscussion.html
On QF you will not be able to upgrade with AA ff miles.

Be aware of the date line changes USA<----->Australia
You skip a day going to Au.

Information

audiodave1 Feb 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Thank you,
I cannot find a PE fare less than $6k so suck it up on AA metal it looks like to and take their 380 to DFW back.

Best Regards,
Dave