Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Gold, Marriot Silver
Post Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Ok... so I've determined that there are showers in the arrivals section of Int'l Terminal in Syndey. Does anyone know whether I'll have my checked luggage with me at the point?

I have a meeting upon my arrival in Sydney and I'd like to freshen up and change. So will I need to pack clothes, etc. in my carry-on?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...Guide/sydIntT1

There are showers landside in the international terminal, however as mentioned on the QF site, it is bring your own soap and towels. So be sure to do that in your baggage, along with a waterproof bag for storing the wet towel afterwards. Alternatively the airline lounges do provide towels etc. if you have access to lounges (e.g. OW Sapphire can access QF domestic lounge).
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I walked into the showers once...and promptly walked out. They're the kind of showers that I'd feel more dirty coming out of than I did going into. They're in a public bathroom and definitely not cleaned after every use as lounge ones would be.

It's a shame SYD doesn't have any arrivals lounges.

-m
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by merrickdb
...It's a shame SYD doesn't have any arrivals lounges....
QF does have an arrivals lounge of sorts, in that the QF domestic departure lounge is accessible to QF elites (security allows airside access in the domestic terminal even when not flying), and a WP benefit is anytime lounge access. Very nice showers, too.

Public showers are grotty everywhere. And only 3 or 4 airports in the world have arrivals lounges (and even then some are in hotels at the airport, not the terminal itself, eg. the BA arrivals lounge in JNB is in the IC; BD arrivals lounge at MAN is in the SAS Radisson).
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:40 am

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
I flew into SYD Saturday and misconnected due to a delay on UA839. I went to the Virgin Blue lounge in T3 and paid to use their lounge and shower. The attendant gave me two huge bath sheets, soap and shampoo. Pretty clean as they go, and the food was great in the Virgin lounge. Free Wi-Fi, overall a good investment of $30 AUD.
Gregor likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by merrickdb
I walked into the showers once...and promptly walked out. They're the kind of showers that I'd feel more dirty coming out of than I did going into. They're in a public bathroom and definitely not cleaned after every use as lounge ones would be.

-m
They are pretty disgusting, but if you have a pair of slippers that you can wear in the shower, it might do.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It would be pretty easy to get a shower in Sydney, right now.
More than just a shower, along the coast - some homes or garages were underwater!

Just FYI re. any further downpours, here is the forecast link.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
roger that. I just got back in from the Dawn Service at Martin Place. Started raining hard just as it was finishing . . . still raining now. Poor parade marchers on George Street are going to be drenched!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Dresden
I flew into SYD Saturday and misconnected due to a delay on UA839. I went to the Virgin Blue lounge in T3 and paid to use their lounge and shower. The attendant gave me two huge bath sheets, soap and shampoo. Pretty clean as they go, and the food was great in the Virgin lounge. Free Wi-Fi, overall a good investment of $30 AUD.
Sounds lovely. I'm envious.

We had a long (6+ hours) layover in SYD last month, following a very long sweaty day in Tahiti, a 4 am departure from PPT and an 8.5 hour flight to SYD. Needless to say, we desperately wanted a shower by the time we hit SYD.

We were flying QF Business class but couldn't check in (and thus get access to the QF lounge) until 2 hours prior to the flight. So we had to buy a couple of tiny "travel towels" at AUD$17.95 each in one of the terminal shops and use the public showers. The women's shower was very clean, but had no soap. Mr. free101girl said the men's was clean and did have soap.

I was just thankful to be under warm clean water at that point.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by free101girl
...We were flying QF Business class but couldn't check in (and thus get access to the QF lounge) until 2 hours prior to the flight....
You might have been able to check-in online; also you can get to the QF club in the domestic terminal without boarding passes, and they would have let you in based on having the J ticket, even without a boarding pass. Also any Oneworld status would have worked. Too bad you were deprived, these are the times when the minor airline facilities, like having showers in departure lounges, are worth their weight in gold.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
You might have been able to check-in online; also you can get to the QF club in the domestic terminal without boarding passes, and they would have let you in based on having the J ticket, even without a boarding pass. Also any Oneworld status would have worked. Too bad you were deprived, these are the times when the minor airline facilities, like having showers in departure lounges, are worth their weight in gold.
Well, live and learn. We asked everyone we could think of (GAs, volunteer information ladies in the airport, etc) and although we made it clear we had a J ticket and status, they insisted we could not go through security and thus to the QF Int'l lounge until we had checked in, and QF wouldn't let us check in until 2 hours prior (or was it 3? anyway, too long to wait). Apparently they didn't know we could go to the domestic terminal and access the lounge.

Now I know!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by free101girl
Well, live and learn. We asked everyone we could think of (GAs, volunteer information ladies in the airport, etc) and although we made it clear we had a J ticket and status, they insisted we could not go through security and thus to the QF Int'l lounge until we had checked in, and QF wouldn't let us check in until 2 hours prior (or was it 3? anyway, too long to wait). Apparently they didn't know we could go to the domestic terminal and access the lounge....
Yes, SYD has different rules for INT and DOM -- almost like 2 separate airports (the terminals are far enough away). They were of course correct, you cannot go airside in the international terminal without a BP, and QF does limit the check-in time (though I thought it was more than 2 hours before flight time, but maybe varies by destination). You would have had little trouble at the QF domestic lounge. Given the distance between terminals and difficulty in getting between them, I am not too surprised than none of the people you asked would have thought of this as an obvious solution. I suppose at some point the domestic terminal will also crack down on airside access.
Old May 4, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum
There is a shower in the arrivals hall on the right (mens bathroom) just as you clear immigration. It was clean but without soap, towel or dryer.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone used/seen the showers lately?

I have a MR to SYD from IAD in May - leaving after work so it would be nice grab a shower before heading into the city for a few hours. I have no lounge access so that is not an option.

I have a pair of "swim shoes" I will bring, and a towel/soap/etc.

Also, are they "private" or is it like a locker room??
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P, DL Gold, SPG Gold
bump...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.