FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JY1024 Jan 1, 18 10:23 am

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to our 2019 Newbie Lounge Thread! :)

/AA Moderator Team

woodardhsd Jan 2, 19 7:11 am

ARCHIVE: 2019 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE sticky thread

Flew from SDF to CLT on New Years Eve. Flight was supposed to be on a CRJ900, seats 13A & 13C. The plane was changed sometime to a CRJ200, but we kept the same seats. Unfortunately, 13A and 13C are the last 2 seats on the plane right next to the lavatory, instead of 1 row in front of the exit row on the 900.

Is this normal when an aircraft is changed? I would think they would try to keep everyone close to their original seat locations.

Zelucifer Jan 2, 19 10:31 am

Booked a T class award on AA through BA, using my AA FF #. Is there anyway to upgrade it? Lax - Hnl if it matters. I've got miles and business extra upgrades available, but I'm having so much trouble finding any information on T fares. Thanks!

JDiver Jan 2, 19 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Zelucifer (Post 30599831)
Booked a T class award on AA through BA, using my AA FF #. Is there anyway to upgrade it? Lax - Hnl if it matters. I've got miles and business extra upgrades available, but I'm having so much trouble finding any information on T fares. Thanks!

CK or EXP can upgrade AA awards domestically. Other than securing a Business award, Iím unaware of any other way to upgrade.

trmoncrief Jan 2, 19 2:49 pm

I have a booked flight to Hawaii in coach and I'm interested in upgrading to premium economy. Do these prices fluctuate with sales?

Thanks in advance!

JJeffrey Jan 2, 19 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by trmoncrief (Post 30600990)
I have a booked flight to Hawaii in coach and I'm interested in upgrading to premium economy. Do these prices fluctuate with sales?

Thanks in advance!

The only way to do this is to pay the fare difference between economy and premium economy. As more of the premium economy seats sell the premium economy fares will increase as the lower fare buckets sell out. So yes, as the price of premium economy increases the fare difference you will have to pay will also increase.

Zelucifer Jan 2, 19 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30599967)
CK or EXP can upgrade AA awards domestically. Other than securing a Business award, Iím unaware of any other way to upgrade.

Sorry, would you mind clarifying? Are you saying I can use a business extra upgrade (assuming C availability), or that I can only do so if I have CK or EXP status? I think it's the former, but I just want to be clear before I get my hopes up. Thanks!

JJeffrey Jan 2, 19 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer (Post 30601365)
Sorry, would you mind clarifying? Are you saying I can use a business extra upgrade (assuming C availability), or that I can only do so if I have CK or EXP status? I think it's the former, but I just want to be clear before I get my hopes up. Thanks!

You cannot upgrade an award ticket with Business Extra certs, miles/copay, SWUs, or anything else. Outside of the caveat below*, award tickets are not upgradeable, the only thing you can do is pay the higher mileage for a business class award (if it's available).

*EXPs can upgrade most award tickets within North America via the same UDU/500-mi. upgrade process as paid tickets, only with waitlist status behind other EXPs on paid tickets.

JDiver Jan 2, 19 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer (Post 30601365)

AA EXP and PRO get complimentary ďdomesticĒ (ďUDUĒ) upgrades if available, EXP (and CK) - even on awards. But theyíre at the very lowest rung of the priority ladder. But Iím unaware any BXP1 upgrades can be used on other than B, N, O, Q and S fares, on AA marketed, operated flights on -001 ticketing. T wonít work with BXP1.

Possibly, PE might be sold at the tucket counter as a Load Factor Based Upgrade.

oldmanbob Jan 2, 19 8:43 pm

Quick question... I am going to use points to take the wife and I from Charlotte to London, via Raleigh one way, and then Paris to Charlotte via JFK for our return , all on AA planes, flying business class both ways. I read that I should arrive at least 3 hrs early for international travel and figured I could bide my extra waiting time in the Admirals clubs after checking in.
On the AA website, the Admiral club rules I was reading says the clubs are open to first and business class on international travel, but then has an asterisk at the end of the sentence. The asterisk says ... *Departing flight must be the same day or before 6 a.m. the following day. Non-revenue passengers aren’t eligible." Because I am flying on reward points, is that considered non rev .. thus making the wife and I unable to use the club whiles we wait for our flights? Or is non rev referring to the folks that are flying on vouchers or employee travel only?
Thanks in advance!

JDiver Jan 2, 19 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 30602195)
Quick question... I am going to use points to take the wife and I from Charlotte to London, via Raleigh one way, and then Paris to Charlotte via JFK for our return , all on AA planes, flying business class both ways. I read that I should arrive at least 3 hrs early for international travel and figured I could bide my extra waiting time in the Admirals clubs after checking in.
On the AA website, the Admiral club rules I was reading says the clubs are open to first and business class on international travel, but then has an asterisk at the end of the sentence. The asterisk says ... *Departing flight must be the same day or before 6 a.m. the following day. Non-revenue passengers aren’t eligible." Because I am flying on reward points, is that considered non rev .. thus making the wife and I unable to use the club whiles we wait for our flights? Or is non rev referring to the folks that are flying on vouchers or employee travel only?
Thanks in advance!

The “non-rev” term doesn’t include passengers flying on Awards. You’ll be fine and have access to Admirals Clubs at CLT, RDU (If there is one, I can’t recall) and at CDG (or Cathay Business Lounge on the return and JFK Club or Flagship Lounge. Enjoy.

JBG89 Jan 2, 19 10:26 pm

Hi Folks,

As an EXP flying on Cathay First (A fare) would my EQM be 1.5x? Would i receive any additional bonus on EQM with EXP status?

Thank You

JDiver Jan 2, 19 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89 (Post 30602483)
Hi Folks,

As an EXP flying on Cathay First (A fare) would my EQM be 1.5x? Would i receive any additional bonus on EQM with EXP status?

Thank You

You can only earn a maximum of 1.5 EQM on Cathay.

On A, youíd be able to earn 2.0 EQM on AA, AY, BA, IB, JL only, unless on an AA marketed fare.

Nope, beyond the 500 minimum, no status will Earn you bonus EQM, only award miles.

trmoncrief Jan 3, 19 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30601038)
The only way to do this is to pay the fare difference between economy and premium economy. As more of the premium economy seats sell the premium economy fares will increase as the lower fare buckets sell out. So yes, as the price of premium economy increases the fare difference you will have to pay will also increase.

But do the upgrade prices decrease when their is a sale?

JJeffrey Jan 3, 19 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by trmoncrief (Post 30605581)
But do the upgrade prices decrease when their is a sale?

Of course, you pay the fare difference, so if there is a PE sale and the PE fares drop the fare difference you'd have to pay would also drop.

If you pay $1000 for your economy ticket, and PE is $1500, you would pay the fare difference of $500 to up-fare to PE. If AA has a sale or the PE fares drop to $1250, then you would only pay the fare difference of $250 to up-fare to PE.

jansoncheng Jan 4, 19 3:39 am

I am flying in a J class on a trip of HKG-LAX-IAD, all marketed by CX and operated by AA
Will I have the lounge access in LAX? according to the OW rules looks like yes, but not sure if there's any AA exception applies in this case.
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

If the answer yes, which lounge will be available? The OW lounge in TBIT, the AA Flagship or Admiral Club?
Thx a lot!

NavSTL Jan 4, 19 3:58 am

If you're in business class on the HKG-LAX leg, you'll have access the the Flagship and OW lounges for your connection. Should be able to flash any boarding pass and have it work, but best to hold on to the transpacific one for simplicity's sake.

ajy733 Jan 5, 19 6:34 am

YYZ to Guatemala City

I am going to book a flight from Toronto to Guatemala city and will fly either through Miami or Dallas. I will book the business class fare but I am wondering if I will access to lounges at Toronto and wherever I connect. I know that on AA it is not a given that you get lounge access regardless of the fare. Can anyone advise?

JJeffrey Jan 5, 19 6:48 am

Originally Posted by ajy733 (Post 30613180)
I am going to book a flight from Toronto to Guatemala city and will fly either through Miami or Dallas. I will book the business class fare but I am wondering if I will access to lounges at Toronto and wherever I connect. I know that on AA it is not a given that you get lounge access regardless of the fare. Can anyone advise?

Yep, business class to Central America comes with lounge access, so you can access any of the Admirals Clubs or Flagship Lounges along the way at YYZ and MIA or DFW.

JDiver Jan 5, 19 7:06 am

Originally Posted by ajy733 (Post 30613180)

The rules are summarized in the Wikipost at the top of the page of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html.

ECPAAFlyer Jan 5, 19 11:22 am

Infant in arms question

Good morning - I just called the desk and got an answer but I wasn't feeling confident in her answer so wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this.

Considering booking DEN-DFW-South America; grandparents live in DFW so would be looking at dropping kids off at the airport on the way through (acknowledging needing to go outside security and come back through) - would it be problematic to add an infant in arms to this itinerary knowing it's only for the domestic leg? The last thing I want are issues at the airport getting it processed correctly. The older child would have a stand-alone seat so no issues there.

zippy_sd Jan 5, 19 12:44 pm

Greetings!

TLDR
I'm curious, how folks go about balancing "gaining status" with "using miles"? It appears, at least to this beginner, that the two are in direct conflict with one another, in that using miles typically results in few or no EQM/EQD earned, negatively impacting ability to reach or maintain status...

Longer version
I just started flying regularly for work domestically in 2018, usually take a trip or two for vacation as well, and was close enough at the end of the year that I learned about and executed my first mileage run... By their powers combined, I landed a shiny new Platinum Pro status for 2019! This travel also netted me about 120k RDM, and I do want to benefit from them. But now I'm torn, because I want to make EXP in 2019, and it seems that using miles in any way on flights will drastically reduce (mile+copay upgrade on a cash ticket) or even eliminate (award ticket) any EQM/EQD earnings. Is there a smart way to leverage miles while still growing and maintaining status? How do you go about balancing the two?

Cheers,
Zip

hipquest Jan 5, 19 1:19 pm

I need help deciphering how many EQM and EQD can/will be earned. This is an example for an upcoming flight.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3462d0130b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f72f4c316c.jpg
Any help is greatly appreciated!

JDiver Jan 5, 19 3:07 pm

To determine flown (base) miles, see Great Circle Mapper - but as they’re shown on your record, use that. E.g. on O class fare flying 3,546 miles, 3,456 EQM.

You can figure EQM from that, depending on marketing airline and fare basis. (On airline partner marketed fares, you can figure EQD as a percentage of base miles counted.)

For AA accruals see https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Your EQD is based on the actual fare displayed, not counting taxes. (The amount of EQD was likely displayed just before you purchased, and might also be viewable on your receipt (which you can usually get on aa.com once the flights have ticketed) or on the refunds site, https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/.) At AA O class, you’ll earn $132.

For BA accruals if you had BA marketed flights (you don’t) you’d see https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

IADCAflyer Jan 5, 19 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30602405)
The ďnon-revĒ term doesnít include passengers flying on Awards. Youíll be fine and have access to Admirals Clubs at CLT, RDU (If there is one, I canít recall) and at CDG (or Cathay Business Lounge on the return and JFK Club or Flagship Lounge. Enjoy.

Agree. Non-revenue is an industry term for travel on the benefits accorded to an airline employee or when an employee is traveling for work. An award ticket is definitely a revenue ticket - one that is paid in miles as opposed to actual currency.

soarin3 Jan 5, 19 6:56 pm

AA Award Availability on QF vs. AwardNexus

Hi, I'm planning on booking economy award tickets on JAL from JFK-GMP using AA miles in April 2019, but while availability is showing up on Qanta's website, AwardNexus gives an error saying that no MileSAAver awards are available for those dates. Does that mean no awards can be used? Thanks for your help in advance.

JDiver Jan 5, 19 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by soarin3 (Post 30615660)
Hi, I'm planning on booking economy award tickets on JAL from JFK-GMP using AA miles in April 2019, but while availability is showing up on Qanta's website, AwardNexus gives an error saying that no MileSAAver awards are available for those dates. Does that mean no awards can be used? Thanks for your help in advance.

No idea which one is more accurate, but if I saw award availability on Qantasí site Iíd check aa.com, or even call AA.

soarin3 Jan 5, 19 7:02 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and for the information; will do.

SussexFly Jan 6, 19 7:14 am

Iíll shortly be flying my first AA flight, from MIA-LIR.
Iím travelling in Business, and have a few question regarding it.

Having never flown AA before, let alone AA Business, what the dress code? I.e formal wear as it business, smart casual, or just anything?
Ive walked into business cabins on other airlines and been scowled at for wearing shorts and t-shirt, even in the Caribbean!

Also, am I eligible for lounge access in MIA?

JDiver Jan 6, 19 7:31 am

Originally Posted by SussexFly (Post 30617169)
Iíll shortly be flying my first AA flight, from MIA-LIR.
Iím travelling in Business, and have a few question regarding it.

Having never flown AA before, let alone AA Business, what the dress code? I.e formal wear as it business, smart casual, or just anything?
Ive walked into business cabins on other airlines and been scowled at for wearing shorts and t-shirt, even in the Caribbean!

Also, am I eligible for lounge access in MIA?

Your dress code is the dress code. Itís your ticket, your seat, your clothing. Be comfortable, or not; itís your choice. If someone wishes to scowl, thatís their problem.

You will have Flagship Lounge (near D30, iirc) lounge access and on arrival you can stop by the Arrivals Lounge (closes at 2 pm, after immigration and customs on the second floor - look for signs) for breakfast, a shower, even have your clothes pressed.

MADPhil Jan 6, 19 9:10 am

Originally Posted by SussexFly (Post 30617169)

On a night flight you may even want to change into something comfortable like pajamas to make the most of the opportunity to sleep. I have only flown AA to STX and SJU but many first/business class passengers wear shorts and gaudy shirts. I have not noticed if the remainder scowl!

rens Jan 6, 19 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30617214)
Your dress code is the dress code. Itís your ticket, your seat, your clothing. Be comfortable, or not; itís your choice. If someone wishes to scowl, thatís their problem.

You will have Flagship Lounge (near D30, iirc) lounge access and on arrival you can stop by the Arrivals Lounge (closes at 2 pm, after immigration and customs on the second floor - look for signs) for breakfast, a shower, even have your clothes pressed.

Does this apply to LHR? The OP is asking about LIR, Liberia Costa Rica. At any rate the flite from Miami arrives there after 2:00 pm

MADPhil Jan 6, 19 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by rens (Post 30619561)
Does this apply to LHR? The OP is asking about LIR, Liberia Costa Rica. At any rate the flite from Miami arrives there after 2:00 pm

Oops, I didn't read past LIR = Liberia so no need for pajamas then. No arrivals lounge but colorful shirt and Bermuda shorts are fine.

Jbro121 Jan 6, 19 8:03 pm

Upgrade Priority

Which has a higher upgrade priority, SWU or mileage upgrade?

carmelsown Jan 7, 19 2:35 pm

Hi all,

Happy new year! I am loyal to AA and mostly travel domestically in the USA and frequently enough that I'd like to buy a lounge membership this year since I enjoy the experience and frankly it's worth it to me. I would consider the Citi credit card that grants access but as I see it, the annual fee is $450 each year no matter what which brings me to my question- it seems that, per their site T&C, Alaska Lounge annual memberships are $450 with reciprocity to Admirals Clubs globally? I understand that you may not get the international, partner lounge access overseas that Admirals Club may grant you but again, I travel almost exclusively domestically. Given Alaska Lounge's reciprocity with Admirals Club, this would seem to me to be a legitimate way to gain access to Admirals Clubs domestically while paying $450 for this year's membership rather than $550 (or $650 once the fee increases)?

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one (I can deal with a glare or snide comment from the reception desk as long as I get in haha)

Thank you!

ClayPot Jan 8, 19 12:34 am

Charge to cancel and redeposit miles for an AnyTime business award

I have no status. Can I cancel my AnyTime and have my miles redeposited into my account and what is the fee?
-Thanks

JJeffrey Jan 8, 19 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ClayPot (Post 30625937)
I have no status. Can I cancel my AnyTime and have my miles redeposited into my account and what is the fee?
-Thanks

Yep, $150 for the first award redeposited to your account, and $25 for each additional award redeposited to the same account at the same time.

JDiver Jan 8, 19 9:08 am

Originally Posted by carmelsown (Post 30623932)
Hi all,

Happy new year! I am loyal to AA and mostly travel domestically in the USA and frequently enough that I'd like to buy a lounge membership this year since I enjoy the experience and frankly it's worth it to me. I would consider the Citi credit card that grants access but as I see it, the annual fee is $450 each year no matter what which brings me to my question- it seems that, per their site T&C, Alaska Lounge annual memberships are $450 with reciprocity to Admirals Clubs globally? I understand that you may not get the international, partner lounge access overseas that Admirals Club may grant you but again, I travel almost exclusively domestically. Given Alaska Lounge's reciprocity with Admirals Club, this would seem to me to be a legitimate way to gain access to Admirals Clubs domestically while paying $450 for this year's membership rather than $550 (or $650 once the fee increases)?

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one (I can deal with a glare or snide comment from the reception desk as long as I get in haha)

Thank you!

Under certain circumstances, Admirals Club members access Alaska lounges. But Iím guessing not too many of us here are as familiar with Alaskaís policy as in the Alaska forum.

But Iíve never experienced or observed a person with lounge access denigrated or poked fun at because their access was because of a reciprocity agreement or any reason, unless they were trying to bluff their way in without genuine access.

For AA, the Executuve Card is a less expensive way to gain full Club membership, including reciprocal access to Alaska and some other lounges.

Ceres Jan 8, 19 9:35 am

I booked award travel one way from MCO - SOF. Coming back when I tried to book a multi-city SOF - LHR and then LHR to MCO, obviously with a stopover in LHR, I could not get the milesaver award from LHR to MCO.
So I booked a one way from LHR - MCO. So I now have two one way awards. MCO - SOF and LHR to MCO. Will it violate any rules for me to book an award trip from SOF to LHR? Or should I pay cash to travel on BA from SOF to LHR in the middle of the two one way award bookings?

JDiver Jan 8, 19 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30627442)
I booked award travel one way from MCO - SOF. Coming back when I tried to book a multi-city SOF - LHR and then LHR to MCO, obviously with a stopover in LHR, I could not get the milesaver award from LHR to MCO.
So I booked a one way from LHR - MCO. So I now have two one way awards. MCO - SOF and LHR to MCO. Will it violate any rules for me to book an award trip from SOF to LHR? Or should I pay cash to travel on BA from SOF to LHR in the middle of the two one way award bookings?

ALL AA awards are one way; even what appears to be a round trip on one PNR is actually two one way awards. You can book SOF-LHR any way you wish, just give yourself plenty of connection time at LHR.